Notices

Day One.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One.

Hey all. Just wanted to introduce myself. I haven't lurked at all, and I'm pretty new at this message board thing, but I thought this would be a good place to come for support, and to talk to people who understand what I'm going through.

I quit drinking today. Alcoholism and mental health issues are very prevalent in my family. Over the past year (or maybe two, I've lost track), I've found myself needing to drink every day. I fooled myself for a long time, telling myself it was harmless because I was only having a glass or two of wine a day. But a glass or two a day turned into a bottle a day, sometimes more. And if I started drinking liquor? Forget it. I'd drink til I blacked out, every single time.

I don't wanna do this anymore. I don't wanna destroy my life, my marriage, my relationships. I've gotta do this today. Now. And for the rest of my life. I feel like I can do this "on my own," so to speak, but am open to AA, therapy, or anything else I might need to help me along the way. I feel like now, while I'm aware that it's becoming a serious problem, is the perfect time to cut it out of my life.

So anyway, hi! I look forward to getting to know you all and supporting each other on this journey.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! you will never regret your decision to quit. Freedom from this will bring you so much joy!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Definately take a look around - this is a great place to come for support.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad you are here. Just take it one day at a time. I am on day 2. We are with you on this journey.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome to SR lion. I'm glad you found us!

I used in-patient rehab, therapy, this website, meds, and AA to get and stay sober. I needed all of those things. Never been more happy.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome lionk22. I must say I lurked quite a bit before I joined and SR gave me quite a bit of hope and strength to go thru with my convictions to stop drinking. I'm on day two and have found very comforting posts here.

Best wishes to you and take care.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am on Day One also. Keep coming back here. I will too.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

your days will be up and down like a yo yo but will begin to plane out as time passes.
I am on day 24 and I`m no hero.
You can do it and don`t focus so much on the time or hours that have passed, take it all in stride and you will be happy with how the days will pass until you begin to feel better,
You can do it.
Rockwood
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Welcome to all the fresh faces here at SR.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DFU

Your story sounds like mine. It's only been 4 weeks for me but I'm hanging in there. I've been going to AA and for me, it helps. I like hearing other people's stories and getting advice from others who have been where I am now. Congratulations on your decision to quit; everyone says day 1 is the hardest. Just get through today and then take it one day at a time after that.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR and congrats
Old 01-02-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats and welcome! I too am starting my first day...... Again. I feel off about 5 months ago when a marriage ended. I thought I missed it, and for 5 months I have tried too find the fun I thought I was missing. What I can tell you that works for me is staying in today, letting God take the steering wheel and be around people in the same battle I am. I am here for you.

God Bless
Old 01-02-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome fellow Upstate-er. We are so glad to have you here. You're doing a wise thing by taking charge now, and refusing to let alcohol take over your life.

I once drank a civilized glass of wine or two. Then, like you, the whole bottle. After awhile that wasn't enough, and I graduated to hard liquor. In the end, there was no amount that did the job. I was miserable, it was no longer fun - in fact, I was completely dependent on it. I kept insisting I could control it, but that never worked - so stopping all together was the only way to keep my life from spinning out of control.

You can do it, lion. Posting here will help a lot. We all understand how you're feeling.