Notices

Day 3 Dealing with Stupid people?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 Dealing with Stupid people?

Had a crap day, had to leave work early cause Daughter had to go hospital, nothing serious hopefully!!?!!

It's good I left work when I did cause I'm finding it hard to deal with Stupid people!!

Stupid people part 1:-
My company thinks its the only company in the world and that everybody should cater to them!!

Stupid people part 2:-
My colleague seems to be obsessed with sorting a pickle our gaffer has got us in, I know its all about teamwork and that crap!! But my company's different, we've had a Supervisor for 5 years that has done next nothing!! After complaint after complaint and in the end we said this is it now were done if you don't do something, they've just made him work (for now) and he has to ask us what to do (on the simplest of tasks). My argument is we can sort this problem out but we'll get no credit, no praise, nothing basically apart from when they **** up again we have to sort it out!!

I just think with me stopping drinking I can't deal with stupid people
Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I can say for myself that being a alcoholic for 20 years was about as stupid as it gets so I try not to cast too many stones because of my past
Old 01-02-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If other people, places and things were really our problem, we would really be screwed. Fortunately I have been taught and believe that my problems arise out of myself. When I start taking a point of view similar to what you described, which does happen from time to time, the problem is invariably internal. My perception can get pretty twisted.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you'll find the longer you stop drinking for the less they bother you!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Every year at this time I always expect to find many people I encounter to be quite a bit more touchy and sometimes even mean spirited. My guess is it's only the effects of all the new NYE resolutions people make.

Things seem to get back to normal after a couple of weeks.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had one of those days last week. Everyone was absolutely making me insane. But it's not going to be my excuse to drink. I have to look at my own thoughts, beliefs and actions. We do the best we can and try to take some time alone to help you relax if you can get it.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone :-)
Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
If other people, places and things were really our problem, we would really be screwed. Fortunately I have been taught and believe that my problems arise out of myself. When I start taking a point of view similar to what you described, which does happen from time to time, the problem is invariably internal. My perception can get pretty twisted.
This has confused me haha in a good way could you explain more?
Old 01-02-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I can put it simpler...

I can't control others, but I can learn to control my reactions to them...

You can see a day full of stupid people, or you can see a day where you stayed sober, & your daughter is ok...y'know?

D
Old 01-02-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

stopping drinking is only the beginning. learning how to live life on lifes terms is where the footwork comes in. for me it didnt involve changing any of the stupid people in this world except the one in the mirror.
sobriety is about fixing me, not the world. when poeple,places, and things disturb me, i must look in the mirror and see what is wrong with me and fix it if i want to be free.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Isn't that changing myself??

And putting up with somebody whos a blatant idiot? I should deal with them being that way? Even when they are screwing me over?
Old 01-02-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

don't you want to change yourself?

I figure I can go through life butting heads with every idiot I meet...(or I can try to rise above pretty annoyances and try and focus on the good stuff.

I've tried both...second ways better...reckon I'll live longer too

D
Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

don't you want to change tho?
Few of us are perfect

I've butted heads with every idiot I'd meet - and they never stop coming...
I just ended up alone angry bitter stressed to the max and alcoholic.

I think it's better to try and rise about petty annoyances and focus on the good stuff of life - it certainly works better for me

D
Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
And putting up with somebody whos a blatant idiot? I should deal with them being that way? Even when they are screwing me over?
Well, for me, it's about channeling my anger toward actually solving the problem at hand. Sure things upset us, sure people are idiots, sometimes huge dummies...but ranting and raving and losing your head generally doesn't go far in solving real world problems. In fact, it can tend to make people think you are actually not capable of coming up with a workable solution. I find if I can calm down, analyze the situation, and get my ducks in a row as far as plausible fixes to a problem, I am more likely to get others on board toward a solution.

Now if it's just idiots in general, like in traffic, or whatnot...nah I just ignore. I mean we all have some pretty douchey moves at times. And even if you feel like most of the time you're pretty high on the awesome scale, we're still all human.

Emotions run high when you first quit. Remember your body and mind are trying to find the middle.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A lot of times when I'm mad at other people for being stupid it sort of makes me stupid because that's all I can focus on. Nothing like that came through from your post but it's something I became aware of recently so I thought I might share. Glad your daughter is doing ok. A hospital visit is always scary.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Resentments are the number one cause of relapse.

Congrats on 3 days!
Zube
Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think this is gonna be one of my most difficult things to get over.

Most my life is bitching about work.

It sounds stupid to spend most my time bitching about something I hate!! But if I see something (I thinks) stupid I get wound up!

Is this the drink? Or is it just me? Not sure how to channel it a different way
Old 01-02-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

It's a need to control our surroundings.

It can be changed.

I found lots of great ways to deal with life by working the 12 steps of AA.

Something will help you!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Part of my program of sobriety begins with a morning prayer, and in that prayer I think of all the people that I am resentful at, and ask my higher power to bless them.

NOT easy to do, at first. But usually after a few weeks of continuing to keep them in my prayers, the resentment seems to melt away, and my own serenity is strengthened.

Hope this helps,
Zube
Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

noone changes overnight - I know I didn't.

I hated the negative bitchy, whinging person I became at the end of my drinking days and I much prefer the man I am now - I'm no saint, but I'm lot happier.

In the end tho, noones asking you or expecting you to become someone you don't want to be, either.

You're in the driving seat

D