Boyfriend said he doesn't care if he dies

Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boyfriend said he doesn't care if he dies

About 2 months ago my boyfriend relapsed after exactly to the day 5 months. He overdosed that day. Since then he hasn't been going to nearly as many meetings as before and has been using up until yesterday. Someone once to me there's nothing I can do about his addiction that the only thing I can do is love him and I'm finally doing that. I stopped fighting with him to get clean I just decided to make him know I love him and I'm here for him but he's gotta get it together because I don't know how much longer I can keep watching him slowly kill himself.
I recently herd him speak at a meeting and I had no idea he felt how he does. He said he doesn't care if he lives or dies any more and there's not much in his life he cares about right now. It broke my heart hearing him say that. So my question is how can I make him feel important? I don't want him to feel that way but I don't know what to do or say to him.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Amber. I'm sorry you're going through this with your boyfriend. Addiction is pure evil and we are no match for it. I think you are doing all that you can do at this point. You're offering him your love and support. I would just ask that you not do this at the expense of your own physical and mental health.

It sounds like your boyfriend is in a pretty bad place right now. Is he currently seeing a counselor? That may help him deal with the disappointment of relapse.

Do you have anyone you can talk to? It's hard to watch someone you love so very much just self-destruct and even sadder to see them lose all hope. I'm glad you're reaching out to us now! Think about attending an al-anon or nar-anon meeting and about seeing a counselor.

Please remember that you did not cause his addiction, you can not control his addiction, and you can not cure his addiction. Others will be along to offer words of comfort and advice.

(((Amber915)))
Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Amber,

I know it must have been heartbreaking to hear your boyfriend admit these feelings, but it is a good sign that he is opening up and talking about it with his group. A couple things to keep in mind; if he has just went through a relapse it is common for there to be overwhelming feelings of failure, guilt. It may seem overwhelming for him to pick himself back up and try again. Also, a lot of drugs (or withdrawal from them) can cause actual depression which could be attributing to those types of feelings. My husband has had good results in his recovery by working with a professional therapist. So if your boyfriend has this option, then you might encourage him to give that a try.

It sounds like you are being of great support to him. I think you are on the right track in reaffirming the good things in his life, the positive qualities that you see in him, and just letting him know you are there and that you love him. My therapist suggested a book to me that I have found very helpful. It basically teaches positive reinforcement techniques you can use when interacting with your boyfriend. (Get Your Loved One Sober, Alternatives to Nagging, Pleading, and Threatening by Robert Meyers). The concept is supported by the Smart Recovery Family Program (Self Management and Recovery Training). I will attach links to their site if you’re interested in checking it out. (This method is also supported by this Sober Recovery site).

Family & Friends - An Alternative to Al-Anon and Intervention
SMART Self-Management And Recovery Training - Powered by vBulletin

You are also correct. Many people become very ill watching the ones they love struggle, and suffer with their addiction, health issues. What I used was individual therapy for support, leaning on my family and friends, and making sure I had balance in my life so I wasn’t overcome with worry and stress every minute. Please be sure to take care of your health; think of it like when you are on an airplane and they tell you in case of emergency; to put the air mask on yourself first and then help others. Its just what you have to do in order to remain healthy, strong and grounded.

Will send up a prayer for both of you.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Amber, that must have been very hard for you to hear are you attending any meetings for you? Al-anon or Nar-anon?
Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been wanting to go to a nar Anon meeting I'm just scared to go by myself and I didn't know if it was parents of addicts mostly
Old 01-02-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by amber915 View Post
About 2 months ago my boyfriend relapsed after exactly to the day 5 months. He overdosed that day. Since then he hasn't been going to nearly as many meetings as before and has been using up until yesterday. Someone once to me there's nothing I can do about his addiction that the only thing I can do is love him and I'm finally doing that. I stopped fighting with him to get clean I just decided to make him know I love him and I'm here for him but he's gotta get it together because I don't know how much longer I can keep watching him slowly kill himself.
I recently herd him speak at a meeting and I had no idea he felt how he does. He said he doesn't care if he lives or dies any more and there's not much in his life he cares about right now. It broke my heart hearing him say that. So my question is how can I make him feel important? I don't want him to feel that way but I don't know what to do or say to him.
Amber,

Welcome to the Board. I'm glad you found us.

My initial reaction after I was done reading your post was two things. The first thing was you really shouldn't go to meetings with your ABF. The second thing was I'd be very, very careful interpreting what he says in meetings.

If you're to have a separate, healthy life away from him, you can't go to his meetings. It's not your place, and it only strengthens a codependent bond.

As far as comments like he doesn't care if he dies, to my eyes and ears, that smacks of self pity and manipulation. Please do not think I'm insensitive to how you're feeling, because I am quite sensitive to it. But I've also heard comments like this in the not-so-distant-past, and when I've heard comments like this, they are usually said to illicit pity from others or to distract from the fact they're behaving poorly.

As you spend time here, you'll understand where I'm coming from when I say something like that. I encourage you to read the sticky notes at the top of our home page, and I encourage you to read as many of the posts as you can. I would also encourage you to attend an Al Anon and/or Nar Anon meeting local to your area. You need to take care of you.

Best,
ZoSo
Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been wanting to go to a nar Anon meeting I'm just scared to go by myself and I didn't know if it was parents of addicts mostly
There's nothing to be scared of at NarAnon meetings! Even if you are nervous, people are usually so welcoming. And everyone there remembers their first meeting. My group pulls new folks in so warmly...I bet you'll be happy you went, even if you are a bit nervous. There are all kinds of family members there--siblings, spouses, parents, grandparents, BFs & GFs. You need support for your own well-being and getting it will make all the difference as you walk this journey. Take care.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoso77 View Post

Amber,

Welcome to the Board. I'm glad you found us.

My initial reaction after I was done reading your post was two things. The first thing was you really shouldn't go to meetings with your ABF. The second thing was I'd be very, very careful interpreting what he says in meetings.

If you're to have a separate, healthy life away from him, you can't go to his meetings. It's not your place, and it only strengthens a codependent bond.

As far as comments like he doesn't care if he dies, to my eyes and ears, that smacks of self pity and manipulation. Please do not think I'm insensitive to how you're feeling, because I am quite sensitive to it. But I've also heard comments like this in the not-so-distant-past, and when I've heard comments like this, they are usually said to illicit pity from others or to distract from the fact they're behaving poorly.

As you spend time here, you'll understand where I'm coming from when I say something like that. I encourage you to read the sticky notes at the top of our home page, and I encourage you to read as many of the posts as you can. I would also encourage you to attend an Al Anon and/or Nar Anon meeting local to your area. You need to take care of you.

Best,
ZoSo
Thank you for your input i really do appreciate it. However i go to meeting with him to support him. That's the only way I know how to. On the rare occasions he talks to me about his addiction or how he feels inside I never know what to say to him so I don't say anything. I personally don't think he made that comment out of self-pity because his friend once told him he was afraid of getting a call that my bf was dead and my bf told him he knows and he's content with it. When this was said I was not there and I might not have even been dating my bf his friend just told me that.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

amber915

I went to my second Nar Anon meeting yesterday. honestly i was and still get nervous. public speaking was never my strength. But when i listen to the stories i find strength in others solutions, and find comfort that i am not alone in what i am going through.

i found myself trying to plan what i would say but when my turn came i found it came naturally. like its something that needs to occur and no matter how nervous i was, i feel a sense of liberation speaking around people who can really understand.

i am new to this, but i believe if/when you go to a Nar Anon meeting you will find that you are not alone.

I am a husband of an addict wife and i was not alone.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for your input i really do appreciate it. However i go to meeting with him to support him. That's the only way I know how to. On the rare occasions he talks to me about his addiction or how he feels inside I never know what to say to him so I don't say anything. I personally don't think he made that comment out of self-pity because his friend once told him he was afraid of getting a call that my bf was dead and my bf told him he knows and he's content with it. When this was said I was not there and I might not have even been dating my bf his friend just told me that.
I went to an NA meeting with my boyfriend a few weeks ago. It was the first on either of us had been to. He is trying to figure out what will help him and what he wants to try. I don't see anything wrong with going with your boyfriend if it is helpful to him, and doesn't upset you. I think the point of those meetings is for the person to share their honest feelings so if he said that then it was probably what he was really feeling. My guess is others could also relate to what he said. Did he get feedback from his group after he made those comments? I would think he did, and then at least he knows he is not alone with it. Im no expert since we only did one meeting, but I was focused on the dynamics of it, and how it worked. That is what I saw when people talked, they got encouragement and understanding back.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Do what you feel is right, Amber. We're here for you.

Best,
ZoSo
Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

"Thank you for your input i really do appreciate it. However i go to meeting with him to support him."

That's why he goes to meetings, for direction and support. This is his issue to resolve, if you want to help and support him, work on you, go to Naranon meetings, read Codependent No More, the stickeys at the top of this forum, and cynical one's blogs. This is
a very tricky disease, one that defies all logic.

As for his proculation, addicts say all kinds of nonsense. In early recovery, they have no ability to know how they feel, their minds are mush. Watch his actions, his words mean nothing.

Learn all you can about addiction, this is a disease that has no cure, he will be an addict all his life, it is just a matter of whether he is clean and working a strong recovery program or not...that's it.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dollydo View Post
"Thank you for your input i really do appreciate it. However i go to meeting with him to support him."

That's why he goes to meetings, for direction and support. This is his issue to resolve, if you want to help and support him, work on you, go to Naranon meetings, read Codependent No More, the stickeys at the top of this forum, and cynical one's blogs. This is
a very tricky disease, one that defies all logic.

As for his proculation, addicts say all kinds of nonsense. In early recovery, they have no ability to know how they feel, their minds are mush. Watch his actions, his words mean nothing.

Learn all you can about addiction, this is a disease that has no cure, he will be an addict all his life, it is just a matter of whether he is clean and working a strong recovery program or not...that's it.
I don't quite know what you mean? What I got from your first couple of sentences was that I should basically ignore his needs. What's the point in being in a relationship with someone if that's the case?
Old 01-02-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Dollydo is so right. The best thing I could have done was stay out of my husband's recovery and work on my own. Today, I couldn't even tell you how long he has been clean for, where as in the beginning I was probably counting days and hours.

Loving an active addictive is beyond painful. Please make sure your keep yourself, your needs and core values as your main priority.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dear sweet amber!

Life as a woman in love with an addict and being the mother of his two sons is, has been one of the most painful journeys I have ever embarked upon! It has also been one of the most freeing life changing experiences as well. I have seen the anger in my sons, myself and my addict. I have seen the devestation it brings. The heartache, the chaos and sure madness. The frustration and sadness. The ups and downs (emotions). The deception, the infeldelity, denial and lack of support. The selfishness, manipulation and disappointments. These are just a few of the things that are part of the package of active addiction.

I did not understand this nor could I accept it at first. I thought if I loved him more, supported him more, had sex when ever he wanted for as long as he wanted he would stop. Or he would not want to use. Truth is each time I gave in the name of helping him or pleasing him was another piece of me I lost. I had no idea who I was, what I was and what I felt, except for love and the desperate need to make him stop. The fear of him using or cheating consumed me. I was determined to do anything in my "power" to "control" this baffling disease. I sacrificed my friends, my wants and needs and peace and happiness to make a difference. Why, because I did not know to do anything different. I had no knowledge of addiction and its "power". I did not know I was "powerless" over this monster that had the love of my life by the depths of his soul.

I went to al anon to get help for him.... I soon discovered I need just as much help as he did if not more. I worked on me and asked the God of my understanding to give me the courage to change what I could and accept what I could not and the wisdom to know the difference! Im so greatful for the help and support I get from going to meetings getting myself a sponsor and learning how to live and let live.

I have new tools today to live my life by taking care of me which is the best support I could ever give my addict loved one. Sometimes, alot of times it felt uncomfortable and awkward. I felt like I was abandoning him, by taking care of me and trusting my God to take care of him. I either trusted God or I did not. The growth and changes in my life are amazing! I still have alot to work on in me but its a process. One day at a time, one step at a time. I still have struggles and want to revert back to the old me, but today it feels uncomfortable to go there. Once I let go and let God and let it begin with me and kept the focus on me, is when I began to experience peace in my life weather he was using or not.

I encourage you, the loving, caring person you are to learn about you and the grips of addiction. It effects us too. We need to heal and maybe heal from our childhood if there were alcoholics or addicts in our life. We don't know how to do anything different until we learn a different way to live. Al anon or nar anon, same foundation and principals, can teach you how to take care of you in ways you never even knew you needed to. This program will if your wlling, can change your life if you let it.

Prayers and loving support for you and your loved one!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh and Amber, my loved one did not choose recovery. He tried for a few months and then went right back where he left off and it got worse, as it does. I had to leave, as it was no longer safe for our sons or me to live in the home of an active addict. I was angry when I left and it took a long time to let go of that anger but I finally did. Another freeing moment in my life. I continue to go to al anon and I don't live with an addict. We tried to reconcile but even though he tried, without a recovery program he was unsuccessful and using was still a choice he made for his life. I can not live with active addiction. My choice. As painful as it was the pain of active addiction was worse, and we parted ways again. This time I was not mad. Sad, but accepted that was his choice to live his life like he wanted to. I can not even have contact, took a couple months to get there. I choose to end contact because it was all about him, and what he wanted when he wanted it. Not about his kids or me ever. He wanted me to make him feel better about himself and sucked the life and love out of me and then would disappear, until he needed a fix, me! My emotions and heart were so cought up in him that I had a hard time not being sucked in. So I had to stop contact with him, until, if he chooses to get real recovery. Because until then he is all about him and using. Not just drugs but people. I pray for him and still love him and have difficult days where I miss him terribly... but I know how to take care of me and putting myself in contact with an active addict is not taking care of me.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Amber
Welcome to SR. There are so many people here who have years of experience with addicts in their lives. You can learn a lot from them if you keep an open mind.

The absolute best thing we can do for the addicts in our lives is to educate ourselves on addiction and codependence. There are some great books to read but a couple that come to mind are "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie and "Addictive Thinking: Understanding Self Deception" by Abraham Twerski.

The journey with an active addict is a very tough one. And there are a lot of basic truths that are extremely hard to swallow:

Addiction is progressive. Left unchecked it will result in jail, institutionalization, or death.
You didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it.
Consequences are important for the addict and codependent.
Love does not cure addiction.

If we (the people who love addicts) are there making everything easy for them, fixing their mistakes, soothing their feelings, minimizing their behavior, lying for them, believing everything they say, not taking care of ourselves first, and the list could go on and on......we are actually helping them remain in their addiction.

They say that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. We all lay a lot of bricks down on that road before we begin to understand.

Stick around. Read. Keep an open mind. Learn. And ask questions. But the absolute most important thing you can do for yourself and your boyfriend is......take care of you first and establish strong boundaries.

Take what you need and leave the rest.

gentle hugs
ke