Notices

New Beginning

Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Beginning

Hello; I came across this forum while i was goggling "How to stop drinking and smoking". Ive been drinking and smoking since i was 16 and will turn 27 at the end of this month. Being sober is something that comes up to my mind constantly. There are weeks that I drink everyday but im usually a weekend drinker.

Drinking is taking a heavy toll in my life, im the type to keep drinking even if im drunk. I just dont stop. Im also a very shy person and at times I force myself to drink to open up. I screw my money up every pay check making stupid decisions when im intoxicated. I lost my license for 9 months and been in one accident due to my drinking problem. Friends and family member tell me to leave the drink and last night i just went through a great depression. I felt like i was worthless and my self esteem hit real low.

I started to read 24 hours a day and since i dont have the means of transportation to attend a AA meeting, i guess i could get the support through this forum.

My goal is to quit drinking and smoking cancer sticks. I have over two years that i dont get high (weed) but i feel like i picked up a worst addiction.

Thanks you for reading
Old 01-01-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This sounds a lot like me apart from the smoking.

Very shy, need drink to open up and don't know when to stop.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome GhostFace. I think it's great that in your 20's you're already seeing what needs to be done. I went on for decades longer, and almost lost my life.

I hope you'll keep reading and posting. You'll never regret taking this big step. There is life after alcohol. A beautiful one - and you'll be present to enjoy it, not in a fog.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for the welcome.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome.

If you call your local AA chapter, they will be able to send someone to pick you up.

Get a plan together, surround yourself with other recovering alcoholics.

Best of luck !
Old 01-01-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, the biggest challenge for me will be the weekends. This is when i let all my frustration out from work and everyday life with a bottle of Scotch. Im starting to notice that certain people and places trigger me to drink and smoke, so i must avoid.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with Hevyn, GhostFace - it is great that you have recognized and are ready to address your problem at your young age. I wish I had been smarter and done so 20 years ago. Sounds as though you have a good basic plan. Good luck. Keep posting.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GhostFace View Post
....Im starting to notice that certain people and places trigger me to drink and smoke, so i must avoid.....
It's great that you are aware of that... Took me a while to recognize this.

I had to avoid people/places/situations for good 3-4 months, sobriety must come first, always.

Old habits need to be replaced with new habits.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

WELCOME TO SR your in the rite place going to meeting really does help I go to NA meeting and going to them and following a 12 step program with a sponser as kept me clean since october 2011 and i am very grateful stay strong and keep in touch with people n recovery and you will be fine. Im here if you need me and if i can help xx
Old 01-01-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome. I started in the boards when I was ending a relationship with my XABF, but find myself back today because of my own bad habits. I moved away expecting a fresh start, but instead find that my being shy and alone in a new city has magnified the drinking. And I'm a decade ahead of you, 3 mos into a new job, so this is such destructive behavior. I also keep getting sick out here because of the smoking and being run down from alcohol. I'm so glad you are reading and educating yourself. I've been doing the same thing all day.
Good luck to you.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"to notice that certain people and places trigger me to drink and smoke, so i must avoid"

This will be extremely important. Identify the triggers and have a plan to deal with them if you cannot avoid them.

best of luck
Old 01-01-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

great advice here
welcome Ghostface!

D
Old 01-01-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks alot guys, it feels good to have support from other people and seeing that it could be done. One thing that i ask myself is, What am i going to do without alcohol? Nearly all my friends and family members drink.

Im currently reading a book called "The Power Of Habit" by Charles Hugg. He mentions that habits can only be replaced. You need to identify the cue of the habit followed by the routine and the reward. My cue for drinking is stress, being with certain friends and always drinking on the weekend. Routine is going to liquor store, bars and at times alone in my room listening to music. The reward is the high and at times, the boost in confidence i get and actually feel more talkative.

I need to look into myself and find what reward i could replace with that feeling of being drunk. How can i replace that high? Also, i need to find new activities that does not involve drinking.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sobriety involves many life changes. Some friends have to be left behind sometimes.

As for the rush you can try exercise or any new activities. Skydive if you have to, that will give you a good rush. Kidding ;-)

I have only have around 2 friends now, and family. Spending time alone is a great way to learn to know the real you
Old 01-01-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, GhostFace!

Good for you for making this decision! I was one of those who couldn't put the drink down once I started, just like you said. It's scary at first getting sober, but take it a day (or an hour) at a time, and try not to imagine all those scenarios (what will I do for fun? what will everyone think? etc.)....... It's all about working it out as you go along, like a journey of discovery. Just know that you can do it and you'll be so glad you did!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Today will be day one. At work right now and I did not have a cigarette. Last night I had trouble sleeping and coughing. I'm actually excited about sobriety.

My birthday is at the end of this month also. Weekend is close so if Im getting myself prepared since I usually do most of my drinking on Friday and Saturday.

I'm going to loose some friends In this journey but I need it for myself.

Good luck to everyone.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you GhostFace - congrats on day one

D
Old 01-02-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

As i officially end this wonderful day, i must say it was a challenge. In the middle of the day i caught myself wanting a smoke and then reminiscing about the good times i had drinking.

One thing that calm me down was a 5 minute meditation. I told myself to stay in the present and stop thinking so much about the past and future. After that i did some studying and i feel great. I know is only the first day, but i can not keep drinking. My health is at risk and my bank account keeps getting hit cause of my liqour abuse.

Thanks guys for the support
Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our recovery family! :ghug3
Old 01-05-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just a quick update. Today will be my fourth day sober with no alcohol and cigarettes. This feels great. I woke up at 7 AM this Saturday morning, one thing i haven't done all last year. Still think about having a drink but i will not, there is going to be alot of more advantages on being sober then being a drunkard.

I almost broke down yesterday when a close friend of mines came to my house smelling like beers and cigarettes. He knows what im trying to accomplish and told me to stay strong.

Any how, i have to see some family members tonight and everybody there drinks. My friends will also be there so there is going to be alot of liquor flowing. Im mentally preparing myself. They are going to look at me crazy when i tell them "im not drinking!"
Let's hope i dont lead into temptation.

Peace and God be with you..