Notices

Quitting

Old 01-01-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting

I've had issues with alcohol since my senior year of college. Came home in June 2009 and mostly stopped for awhile, I think mainly because I didn't find a job right away (graduated into the 2009 economy).

Started again when I began grad school in January 2010, because it was easy to stop for a six pack or pint of whiskey on the way home from evening class and sneak it into the house in my briefcase. This habit has really snuck up on me in the past year since I finished my Masters', now I just stop on my way home from work, or head back out when my parents leave for some event. In 2012 I drank, on average, probably 4 nights a week. My parents definitely know that I drink, but I don't think they know just how much. They did express their concern once, a little over a year ago, when my dad found me passed out in the basement next to a half-empty bottle of bourbon three times in a two-month period. However, I simply resolved to "be more careful" and "find new hobbies", and of course made sure they haven't found me passed out since.

I've made a lot of excuses for my drinking, between work and boring home life. The funny thing is, I (mostly) enjoy the work, I just don't get paid properly for it. I'm still living at home at age 26 because my current job, which I've held for almost two years, still doesn't pay me enough to move out. But of course I can afford those $30 bottles of bourbon! I've been hungover at work several times, but never drunk; commuting in and trying to work hungover is a horrible experience that I'm never going to repeat again. Drinking at my company is significant and sometimes encouraged with happy hours and annual parties. Two of my immediate coworkers are also heavy drinkers, one of whom definitely has a problem and some depression issues like me. On the other side of the coin, I have a recovering coworker who is three or four years sober that I plan to talk to tomorrow.

So that's basically where I'm at. I'm Tim, and my sober date will be 01/01/2013.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tim, welcome and congrats on your decision to get sober !

At 26 with a great eduction, you have an awesome life ahead of you.... (sober).
Old 01-01-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good Luck Stoopid x
Old 01-01-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Heystoopid!
Welcome! You didn't mention if you read your doc in completely so he can be ready if you have any detox issues. If you are worried about confidentiality you need another doc. See detox CAN be dangerous and if you feel things are getting dicey don't drink! Call your doc first then come here or if you are in AA or a local SMART group that has meetings, or have a counselor/therapist, call them too! You aren't alone, you came to the right place. It is a cool name you picked! Made me smile to address you!
Fresh starts!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to you. One thing I have learned in fighting something else, but can most likely be applied here, we are far, far stronger than we realize. Just when you are all the way beaten down, from somewhere will come that strength for one. more. day. Ask for help, so many others have 'been there, done that' and learn from their depth and breadth of experience. Put your hand out, we will reach back.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Tim x
Old 01-01-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll call you Tim I think, lol...
welcome to SR

D
Old 01-01-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello Tim,

After reading your post, it sounds to me as if you already know what you need to do. I know that for me I continued to make choices that were not in my best interest.

Someone shared some info with me once, they said that sooner or later we get the point because the point will keep getting sharper :-)

I toyed with myself for years until I was ready to do anything to change the way I was living/making choices.

Hang in there Tim and keep making the choices necessary to be comfortable with yourself.

CB
Old 01-01-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I can relate to your story, finished graduate school about the same age you did, and also drank after work several nights a week. Not that much mind you, but enough to relax and fall asleep. However, over time my tolerance gradually increased.

Although I knew I had a problem at 26, I managed to manage it until I was about 46. Then I crashed and burned. I was fortunate that I didn't lose much. I still have my job, my wife, my kids, etc. but it I did put all of that in jeopardy.

I wish I would have reached out and tried to get sober when I was your age. Wishing you the best.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I remember making those promises to cut back on drinking, which to me meant not getting caught with it anymore. Yikes!

I'm glad you found us and ready to recover.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Tim! You sound fed up, and ready to kick that stuff out of your life. Wish I'd done that at 26. Life would have been so different.

It's good you have a co-worker to talk it over with - that'll be very helpful. I know you'll also enjoy being here - this is a wonderful place, and everyone wants to support you.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Tim,
It's my start over date also. Good luck, we can do this.
Diana
Old 01-01-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That name cracked me up....and brought back a few memories of calling myself the same, lmao.

Great to hear of your new start, you can do this and you'll feel better, be better for doing it.