Notices

NA and med maintenance programs

Old 01-01-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NA and med maintenance programs

Just like u would diabetes or another medically progressive chronic disease, u would take the maintenance meds ur dr prescribed. If this is the case with ur addiction disease, take the meds and share only with your dr not the rest of the group and if ur sponsor has a problem with this, find another sponsor. YOU are responsible for ur recovery and should follow dr's orders if this is how u can get clean. The basic text offers suggestions not "rules" and each addict is different. So don't let this hinder ur recovery.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Night owl

Hi Mia, welcome to SR! Thanks for your post, I know this can be such a difficult issue for folks. It's a difficult decision but I agree that each person needs to decide what is best for her/his own recovery. I decided to use suboxone for my recovery. I thought a long time about it, consulted my doctor, etc., and this is the right choice for me.

Take care.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MiaTex View Post
Just like u would diabetes or another medically progressive chronic disease, u would take the maintenance meds ur dr prescribed. If this is the case with ur addiction disease, take the meds and share only with your dr not the rest of the group and if ur sponsor has a problem with this, find another sponsor. YOU are responsible for ur recovery and should follow dr's orders if this is how u can get clean. The basic text offers suggestions not "rules" and each addict is different. So don't let this hinder ur recovery.
Can you think of any drugs an addict should not take if they are dr's orders? I'm thinking here of a local dr who has been a morphine addict for at least 25 years. People close to him know he's sold baseless scripts for at least that long and I wouldn't expect him to have good medical sense or trust him in a room with my DVD player unsupervised.

I know next to nothing about addicts, but am interested if you see any prescription only drugs qualifying as poor choices for addicts who are trying to live without drugs. Obviously, if the addict moved to countries outside the US many formerly script drugs are over the counter.

Would the same drugs be ok in the US for an addict (dr ordered) but not where a dr is bypassed legally for the same drug?

If you can't answer these questions I do understand.

Is there anywhere someone could talk to people who know through experience what works well for addicts trying to get off and stay off drugs, to resolve these kinds of prickly grey areas?