Notices

Feeling a little sheepish

Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling a little sheepish

This is my third time here on the forum. The first time was early this year, during a 62 day sober stretch that had me hopeful for a while. Well, that didn't last. The second time, also this year, was in the midst of 10 sober days- also didn't last. And now here I am again.

Thing is, things are going very well. I had my last drink on September 30, 2012, which means if I can last 'til New Year's (only a quarter hour from now- I know I'm going to do it!), I'll have a full three months. A very good thing. And yet- I feel a little stupid coming here now- even though I know I was sincerely trying and hoping for sobriety to stick the other two times, it feels like I wasn't.

I did want to share what I think is working for me now. First and foremost, I am avoiding temptation whenever possible. When I go to the grocery, I don't linger in the wine section testing myself (why did I ever do that?). I'm not trying to be such a good sport about things. I'm relying on willpower as little as possible, and a lot more on flat out ignoring the addictive voice. Not sure what's in my future: possibly AA, but I don't want to pressure myself in any direction. The most important thing is that I just don't drink.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello -again. Hopefully I'll keep posting and maybe even be a help to some of you fine folks here, in addition to getting help from you all!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Welcome back Olympia. It's always good to see a familiar face.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happy new year Olympia! Congrats on your 3 months!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Hello there. Hope you can put things in place to achieve the sobriety you're seeking. Have you tried any sort of recovery program? Accountability and action have been working very well for me. Keeps me busy and generally out of my own head, which is a very dangerous place to be!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Olympia

congratulations on your progress

D
Old 12-31-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all!

Fernaceman- I'm still working out how I'm going to keep keeping sober, along with fixing the messes in my life. Definitely trying to cultivate new interests and stay busy. I've found it's also helped me IMMENSELY to read up on the neuroscience of addiction- thinking of my brain as an organ and treating it as such has been a cornerstone of my success at sobriety.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 months .
Old 12-31-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, Midlifecrisis!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by olympia View Post
Thanks all!

Fernaceman- I'm still working out how I'm going to keep keeping sober, along with fixing the messes in my life. Definitely trying to cultivate new interests and stay busy. I've found it's also helped me IMMENSELY to read up on the neuroscience of addiction- thinking of my brain as an organ and treating it as such has been a cornerstone of my success at sobriety.
Yes. The neuroscience behind it is quite fascinating. BUT, this became an addiction for me as well, and in the end, no amount of self-knowledge I obtained about my condition was enough to keep me sober in the end.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You're still trying Olympia...says a lot.

I used and tried anything (rehab, AA, Addictive Voice Recognition)...knowledge and support
were key to me being where I am now...I'm approaching 2 years soon

And I agree, I had to also scrap that "good sport" mentality...YOU have to come first...and that's ok

Happy New Year My friend
Old 12-31-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

Well done Olympia. Don,t worry about your previous attempts, I had plenty. Sr has been helpful in getting me to 19 months.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by olympia View Post
I had my last drink on September 30, 2012, which means if I can last 'til New Year's (only a quarter hour from now- I know I'm going to do it!), I'll have a full three months. A very good thing. And yet- I feel a little stupid coming here now- even though I know I was sincerely trying and hoping for sobriety to stick the other two times, it feels like I wasn't.
Don't ever feel stupid coming back here. You are trying and that is what matters. You will probably help someone who is reading your story right now. It gives people hope that they can keep trying.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Night owl

Welcome back and congratulations on three months. Awesome!

Like you I find the neuroscience fascinating and very, very helpful. Maybe we could get a thread going on about that after NY settles down.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I fell off the wagon a few times since signing up here too, I know what you mean. But you dust off and get back on the horse. Rome wasn't built in a day. Sounds like you are doing great! nice job

oh and
Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back Olympia, the most important thing is that you're here now! :ghug3
Old 01-01-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done on 3 months Olympia That is a massive achievement to get that far on your own. Just don't be afraid to start asking for help now. I started going to AA after 3 months and in a way I felt silly doing that. It felt like I'd been sober forever but in the grand scheme of things it's still early sobriety and a good time to get help x
Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Olympia.

No matter what, just stay with SR this time.

I see people succeed when they come back on immediately and say "hey I drank last night but I am back on the wagon today". They can examine more quickly what happened and seem to lose less of their skills and routine that way.

So leave the sheepishness in the meadow and just stay on SR now!!

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi Olympia. Lack of success in past attempts doesn't have to have any bearing on *now*. Keeping learning and keep growing. You can do this
Old 01-01-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome back and congrats on your 3 months. I, myself, sobered up in A.A. but am open minded about many other aspects/routes of getting sober. Whatever works for you and it takes what it takes, as long as you have some sort of support system. Happy New Year to you Olympia and again, congrats on your 3 months. Keep coming back and keep us posted on how you are doing. We are here for you!

Karen
Old 01-01-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello My Friend,

Congrats on your 3months -awesome. Im over 100 days. Just take it one day at a time and I would suggest trying AA - see if it works. You will meet a lot of great people with the same problem.

Hope we can help each other this New Year.

__________________________________________________ ____

Being Sober > AnyTemptation