Notices

Codeine

Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codeine

Hi there .I'm new to this site,I have been taking 8 30mg of codeine and now I can't stop ,I know it probably doesn't seem alot but I want to get pregnant in the not so distant future so I need to get off them.I'm getting breathless and panicky tearful .Please help I don't want to go to Gp as I have been having my mums leftovers from her prescription though she does need them as she gets alot of pain.She does know about it as it was when I hurt my knee that she gave me some ,but we have the same gp
Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To help me get well, I had to check my pride and ego at the door of my Doctors office.

Doctors are there to help addicts. What are you afraid of your Doctor for?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dear Leighways,

hi there. Are you in the UK? You can usually change your GP if you feel that you need to...
It would be advisable to talk to a GP. If you need advice and are in the UK please call NHS Choices: NHS Choices - Your health, your choices

You will find lots of support here and on other more specific threads.

Happy New Year and I hope that 2013 will be a better pain free year for you x
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Leighways -

It's scary to think about telling other people, I know. Have you thought about going to see a different doctor? Some doctors specialize in addiction - you might want to google it for someone in your area.

We can't offer medical advice, but we're here for support, so keep reading and posting! :ghug3
Old 12-31-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, do talk to your dr and let him/her know about the codeine addiction and that you need a plan for getting off the drug. You can do this!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, good luck to you. I have recently given up codeine and Valium....giving up alcohol as of today.

You can do it. I understand about doctors, I avoid them unless I'm trying to get drugs. I find it hard to be honest with them! They will be able to help you with a plan though. Best of luck.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't worry speak to GP you may get a talk but that will be far more mixed in with a thanks for being truthful and your treatment may be quick and easy , but you must be aware that you might have an addictive personality.
Good luck and have a great new year.
LoveJohn.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Leighways: I am confused. Your "public profile" on SR indicates that you are a male. Yet you tell us that you want to get pregnant in the near future. I am unsure where you reside and what the professional rules for physicians are. Here in the U.S. my wife went to my doctor about a personal matter several years ago and when I inquired the doctor's office said that they could not disclose what she visited about because of patient confidentiality. If you go to your g.p., who I gather is your mother's g.p., you might begin by asking whether what you say is confidential and whether it would be disclosed to your mother. If the answer is that it is confidential, then please tell the g.p. all the facts. Even if you get a lecture you'll get taken care of, which is what you need.The alternative is to see another doctor. Needless to say, taking another person's pills is a lousy idea all around and, in the U.S., it is usually unlawful.

W.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

another vote for the GP Leigh...the problem with codeine is not just the codeine but the paracetamol that comes with it in things like Nurofen.

If you want to get pregnant you owe it to yourself to get checked out fully....and if your Dr is a good one, they can also help you with tapering schedules, support groups etc...

Welcome to SR

D
Old 12-31-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

As difficult as it might be, the right thing to do is to take the plunge and tell your GP what's goin on. Things will get easier and better from there. They will generally respect your honesty and help you through this.