Notices

Starting today!

Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting today!

Hello all! I am currently hitting another bottom and am making a stand today. I come from a family of high functioning alcoholics and have been raised to be one also. After getting 2 DUIs, injuries and making countless other mistakes. I have been faced with the biggest choice in my life so far. I am married and throughout my marriage, I have been physically and verbally abusive. Nothing that has landed me in jail or worse, her in the hospital but definitely things that were out of line and unforgivable.
My wife and I have always been regular drinkers and as she has abused me in the past, she has been able to correct her abusive behavior and I have not. I have dabbled with being sober on and off for the past two years. Lying to myself about the severity of my addiction. This comes from me not wanting to be the odd one out at every family function or outing with friends I have. Everything that everyone I know does, seems to be centered around alcohol.
I've gone to AA before, mandated by the courts for my DUI's and absolutely dislike the program. Not for the fact that when I went, I didn't want to quit (I didn't) but for the fact that all the people I've known that get involved in those kinds of programs become completely centered on the program. Almost as if their replacing an addiction with another. I know there's got to be some reading or things I can do on my own to get me through this. And that's why I'm here. To pick everyone's brain and see what options I have. I don't feel "powerless" against my addiction. I feel as though I can do anything I put my mind to. I feel as though, staying away from situations centered around alcohol and replacing times where I would drink with constructive activities along with using some of what addiction groups think like taking it "one day at a time" can help me get through this. Thoughts?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try reading about AVRT-the book Rational Recovery can be bought off AMazon for a few dollars and will probably make sense to you. google it and see
Old 12-31-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome to SR! there are other options then AA. There's smart, AVRT etc. Look up on google AVRT.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you! I will order the book now.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR mjmusic

I'd recommend looking at Rational Recovery (AVRT) and SMART recovery for starters. There are lots of AA alternatives, and SR in itself can be incredibly useful. Join the Class of Dec/Jan if you want ongoing support from people quitting at the same time as you. Even if you don't go to AA the literature can be really useful. The book Living Sober is really good, and the Big book itself has a lot of good stuff in it.

Glad you're here x
Old 12-31-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome mjmusic!

Glad you've joined us! I think the main thing is finding something that works for you and making a commitment to it. Coming here is a great start!