Notices

I don't think I'm ready to stop drinking...again.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question I don't think I'm ready to stop drinking...again.

I managed to quit drinking for about four months last year when things were going okay for once in my life, and then **** hit the fan and I went right back to it.

A few traumatic events hit right in a row and I couldn't handle them without liquor. My 15 year old brother ended up moving in with me, making me completely responsible for supporting him.

I couldn't earn enough as a waitress to pay both my tuition and my rent, and provide for my brother, so I had to turn to stripping, where I'm surrounded by all the liquor I could possibly want. Fortunately, miraculously, I haven't gotten too much into drugs since I started working there.

I know I need to work on my drinking habit- (I'm 19 years old going through a handle of whatever every few days)- but I can't even imagine quitting again now with all this **** going on.

Should I try now or wait until there's a light at the end of the tunnel? Honestly, is it even worth it to try right now?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome PeppermintHippo

I'm almost 3 times your age - and you'll hear this a lot in this thread - I wish I'd quit years sooner than I did....

There's *never* a good time to quit...if you're using drink to cope with life, there's always going to be some reason...

if you wait for a good time you might be waiting for ever, PH.

If you want to quit, quit. There's never a better time than now

You're not alone
You'll find a lot of support and ideas here about how to deal with life sober

D
Old 12-31-2012, 12:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

there is no better time then now to quit drinking pepperminth. I used to wait and have so many excuses, until I hit rock bottom.

Good luck and be kind to yourself
Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can't help but feeling that I need it now, but at some poimt down the road, when I have a real career, I'll be happier and won't need it as much. I'm down right now, but when there are nbetter days ahead, I can't find the motivation to do it now.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi, can you give me one positive alcohol brings in your life right now? other then temporary relief?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you keep on drinking maybe you could find the motivation to quit when something terrible happens to you... but why wait for that event? Quit now and you'll save yourself a lot of physical and emotional misery. :ghug3
Old 12-31-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So, basically something goes wrong, you "deal with it" by drinking, and slowly things start to snowball from bad to worse.
  # 8 (permalink)  
So it goes

There is no point in waiting for tomorrow, because tomorrow wont come, and even if it does, it will tempt you by asking you to celebrate its arrival with a drink

Believe me, you can cope with things much better without drink muddling your thoughts. I went through loads of sh1t this year after stopping drinking, the only way I got through it was because I didnt drink.

If I had touched a drop, I wouldnt be typing this now, and believe me, I was nearly not typing this anyway, so drink would have pushed me over that edge
  # 9 (permalink)  

It gets me through doing my job. If I wasn;t hammered, I don't know if I could handle being naked on stage or grinding on men old enough to be my grandfahter to support myself and my brother. I may well have quit if I coudn't drink my way through work.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pepperminthippo View Post
It gets me through doing my job. If I wasn;t hammered, I don't know if I could handle being naked on stage or grinding on men old enough to be my grandfahter to support myself and my brother. I may well have quit if I coudn't drink my way through work.
Okay, but there are other jobs out there...
Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Where else can a 19 year old make $500 a day?

And I wish I could get through this without liquor. Last year was a good year, and I stopped for a few months because everything was going well and I had to time and energy to quit. I had to start again when everything went wrong.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't help but feeling that I need it now, but at some poimt down the road, when I have a real career, I'll be happier and won't need it as much.
I always said my drinking was a phase too - that I'd stop when things got better...but instead my drinking got worse & worse.

Honestly, if you hate your life and your job now, drinking is probably the surest way to ensure that you'll be stuck there.

D
Old 12-31-2012, 01:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Girl, you have GOT to get yourself out of that situation.

It may not happen tomorrow, but you should start looking into other options to create a better life for yourself and your brother.

I agree, I don't think I could ever strip without getting hammered. And if you don't have to be sober for your job, then you will find no need to be sober for anything, and soon alcohol consumes your life. You have your WHOLE life ahead of you!

Obstacles suck. But they are there to make us stronger. Imagine what kind of women you will become if you got sober and fought your way out of this situation. Found a better job/opportunity that enabled you the financial resources to support school and family. In the process met some amazing individuals who could further guide you in your path. One positive step usually leads to another, until you are at the stop of the staircase looking down at your old life. And it starts with baby steps. Saying no to the drink. Looking up other jobs/financial aid online. Etc. etc.

And think about it, if you worked your way through this, you could write an inspirational novel afterwards!

Chapter 1
Twas a dark and stormy afternoon, and I had to go to work at the club. It has only been a few days since I've stopped drinking, and not having its numbing effects to drone out the fact that I'm shaking my booty in the snaring faces of miserable tycoons has let me feeling depleted. I just need to make it through this night sober, so I can take their money, retain my dignity, and go home with the clarity to figure out a better way. Because I am me, and me is strong. And awesome. And an awesome booty shaker.

I'll let decide how this story ends But I know you can make it a good one.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree that time will supply you with many more reasons to change. And I'd add that it's highly likely that you won't like them very much.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're making that much, surely you must have a pretty healthy nest egg by now, PH?

There should be nothing stopping you from getting out of the industry, away from the despair that's making you drink, and doing whatever you want to pursue - if that's what you want?

D
Old 12-31-2012, 02:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Now I can understand your concern. I would say in this rare exception that your priority is to get out of that job.

Not many will agree with my view but I can appreciate the dilemma you are in right now.
make a plan

1- New job, find financial support, whatever is required
2- Stop drinking immediately