Notices

Tonight

Old 12-30-2012, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tonight

Like everyone on here, tonight is no doubt going to be very, very tough. I live in the Middle East and my Mum is here on holiday. Before I decided to stop drinking (1st day of sobriety 27th December'12), I made plans for new year celebrations to go out with my wife, my Mum and a group of colleagues from work. We are going to a hotel that has got a dance, live music, DJ, etc where you can eat and drink all you can, all booze is included in the package which is already paid for. Being already paid for doesn't bother me, what will be difficult is watching everyone else drink whilst I'm doing my best to avoid it. Will also need to deflect the usual questions about why am I not drinking, its new year everyone drinks, a couple won't hurt, etc, etc.

Like others in a similar situation tonight, good luck and I sincerely hope we can come on here tomorrow morning to share in how we found the strength to avoid temptation.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Best of luck tonight.

I am struggling with it too.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Night owl

You'll get to ring in the New Year with a clear head, peaceful heart, healthy body--nothing better than that!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a tough situation...& not one I would put myself into at your stage, to be honest...

but I know it's not impossible either.

Stay focused - you're a non drinker now

D
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

When I first quit drinking I was suppose to go out with a group of girls in the industry to a pub for drinks and appies. I ended up not going as I was too new to sobriety and I didn't want to set myself up for failure. I just told them I had to babysit and a friend of mine who was going to go took me out for dinner instead.

Remember you don't have to do things to make everyone else happy, do what makes you most comfortable. However, if you do go, good luck and please be safe!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Was thinking of using an excuse not to go but if I don't go then my wife and my Mum won't go either and I don't want to spoil their night. Likewise, if I drink I will no doubt end up spoiling their night as well so I'm going to take the car, start off with the best intentions and if it gets too much I can always leave.

If I can get through tonight I am sure I will survive most other situations so it really is a test that I am determined to pass.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
When I first quit drinking I was suppose to go out with a group of girls in the industry to a pub for drinks and appies. I ended up not going as I was too new to sobriety and I didn't want to set myself up for failure. I just told them I had to babysit and a friend of mine who was going to go took me out for dinner instead.

Remember you don't have to do things to make everyone else happy, do what makes you most comfortable. However, if you do go, good luck and please be safe!
I'm not worried about New Years because I am choosing to stay home and rest. appreciate this reply. I had a relapse 3 days ago. My last night on vacation and with friends. Realize that even though I had been strong, I slipped up by being in a drinking situation. Need to revise....
Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OnlyTheLonely View Post
Was thinking of using an excuse not to go but if I don't go then my wife and my Mum won't go either and I don't want to spoil their night. Likewise, if I drink I will no doubt end up spoiling their night as well so I'm going to take the car, start off with the best intentions and if it gets too much I can always leave.

If I can get through tonight I am sure I will survive most other situations so it really is a test that I am determined to pass.
Best of luck.

I'm in a similar situation. We are going to a party where everyone will be drinking but my kids and husband are really looking forward to going to see their friends. I feel like I can't let them down.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is still really early in your sobriety, If you do go, I think having an escape plan is key.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midlifecrisis View Post
Best of luck.

I'm in a similar situation. We are going to a party where everyone will be drinking but my kids and husband are really looking forward to going to see their friends. I feel like I can't let them down.
cranberry with splash of 7-up and lime is yummy and nobody will ask you to drink! Just some advice for a plan....
Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunriseshell View Post

cranberry with splash of 7-up and lime is yummy and nobody will ask you to drink! Just some advice for a plan....
Thanks !
Old 12-31-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by sunriseshell View Post
I'm not worried about New Years because I am choosing to stay home and rest. appreciate this reply. I had a relapse 3 days ago. My last night on vacation and with friends. Realize that even though I had been strong, I slipped up by being in a drinking situation. Need to revise....
Some situations I'm okay in some I'm not. If I don't feel "safe" I will either not go or I can always leave. If I'm not drinking and someone asks me why I just tell them I can't drink while on Paxil. Always works.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If your wife and mum really care about you staying sober I suggest you stay home tonite or let them go by themselves. You are only a couple of days sober, for me the temtation would be too much and if I do the rest of tonite what I done yesterday and keep on doing it I will have one year sober on the 23rd of Jan. Only by the Grace of God.