Notices

Light Drinking.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Light Drinking.

The last decade or so I thought I was smart by 'moderately' drinking 4 or 5 wines between 6 & 7.30 every evening. Had I not consumed greatly more than this in previous years? Was not this a great improvement? My answer to this is No

For many, probably more than is generally accepted, any alcohol is a trigger to continue at a so called safe level or to increase. My wine at night along with daily valium, saw me living lack lustre days for a slight 2 hour lift. Just do the maths.

Round July 2012 I discovered I haD fatty liver disease along with an indeterminable lesion on the liver. So far so good.My liver enzymes were high too;probably from an anti depressant I was taking, rather than alcohol.

The slobbering, violent, obnoxious drunk just isn't the only alkie!
So called light/ moderate drinking can be really tricky as hangovers give way to merely low days, and behaviour is less than gross.Slow poisoning is arguably just as bad as the more lethal kind and the suffering simply lengthened.

In sum it just ain't smart to drink whether so called 'socially' or in terms of totally wasting yourself.The difference is simply one of degree with the simple answer........DONT PICK UP THAT FIRST GLASS.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Couldnt agree more. For me I can't stop an sleep drinking and drinking. It's never one or two with me, always about 10.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Four five units of alcohol a day, by any definition, is not moderate / light drinking.

It's actually abusive drinking.

Just sayin'...
Old 12-30-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. It is true. 2hours for 2 days of pain= not worth it!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good morning Murch,

Four to five glasses of wine a night is not light drinking, epecially if one pours them oneself. I am from Melbourne as well and when I was back visiting a couple of years ago I fell into the wine drinking in the evenings and I dont know what they put in that stuff but boy it left me in a fog, loss of short term memory, feeling awful.
Glad you are off that stuff and the liver is recovering.

CaiHong
Old 12-30-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I also consider that heavy drinking and it was what I would have when at my worst. And it ruined my health too. Fatty liver with fibrosis(you can only know if you have fibrosis if you have a liver biopsy), diabetes, obesity. I have the diabetes and obesity licked, and working on the sobriety. I have had something to drink only twice in the last 53 days.

I was having up to a bottle of wine a night, most nights, with a couple off here and there and sometimes a bit more on a weekend.

I wish I had stopped the first time I was told I had "some fatty liver and it can be common in middle aged overweight women. It is usually fairly benign." Two years later, the literature was exploding about it being very prevalent in today's society, and not benign at all, but often progressive.

You can make great changes with a healthy lifestyle. Huge. Let's do this. Forever. I have trouble with the forever part. I do well for months and relapse.