Notices

Needing help

Old 12-30-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing help

I'm not quite sure what to put in my first post but here goes....
I'm in my mid twenties from the uk and I need to quit drinking. This I something I've said many many times before but I've never stuck with it.
Pretty much everything that's bad that's happened in my life has been caused by drinking and if I don't stop I know I'm going to end up killing myself.
In the latest incident (I won't go in to details) I was blitzed again last night and had a close shave.
I need to stop but I find it difficult as the main social activity between me and my friends is drinking. If I didnt drink I probably wouldn't see them.
I drink about twice a week but when I start I can't stop and end up to the point where I can't control myself. I can't deal with the worry and regret after drinking. It's almost cost me my job, my health and a number of relationships with people.
I'm not sure what responses ill get, I was thinking of okay be going of an aa meeting? Anyone think this is a good idea? Anyone got any other suggestions?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't imagine going to an AA meeting would be a bad idea. Whether it helps you or not is ultimately up to you. However, I think a good first start is posting here. A week ago I felt like total crap after being arrested and admitted to a hospital due to alcohol and spending WAY too much money over the course of the week out at pubs. Now, a week of no drinking and I feel good and positive and this board has helped. Keep reading and posting and you may find the encouragement you need to get past the initial shock of those first few non-drinking days.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply, it helps to know there are people I can talk to out there and also people who have went through the same thing. I really want to make this work, although ultimately I know I've, got no choice in the matter. I must stop drinking.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Boxguy. Welcome to SR.

You are not alone here, reading and posting on SR you'll find that many people fight similar problems and win. I started at SR 77 days ago it gave me a lot of support and encouragement.

I am not an AA person but there is a lot of people whom it helped so I think it surely won't hurt to give it a try. As for social activity, when you become sober, you don't just quit drinking, you change your life, and this new life is surely better.

There are also other ways to quit drinking like AVRT, you can check this thread. Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

One of the major suggestions is not to take the first drink, because it always starts with "just one". In early sobriety it's important to protect your sobriety by any means necessary. Take one day at a time. Don't drink today.

Good luck to you and keep posting.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Quitting drinking never seems to be a bad idea. I know pretty well everything bad that happened to me in my life was related to Alcohol. I wish I would have stopped at your age, but I think its never too late.. Good luck in your new Sober life...
Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks midnightblue. I am determined to make It work this time. Drinking is such a big part of my life and I wonder how life will be without it. I know it will be hard but I am actually looking forward to my new life.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Boxguy

I hope you will find the strength and your way out of booze trap. Keep posting! Stay strong.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by Boxguy View Post
Drinking is such a big part of my life and I wonder how life will be without it. I know it will be hard but I am actually looking forward to my new life.
Boxguy, don't overwhelm yourself right now about how life will be without it) These worries about future often mess up with our present. Take baby steps, focus on today, take it seriously ant at some point it will get better.

Take care)
Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Boxguy. I'd wager drinking was a huge part of all of our lives. For me, it became easier to let it go when I realized the "fun" I'd been having was a pale shadow of the true happiness I feel in sobriety. All the best to you!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks foodie. I hope this is just the beginning, cause if I didn't stop it would have been the end.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're ready and open to living a sober life. You've gotten good suggestions for recovery programs and I always find lots of support here at SR, so keep reading and posting.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hope I'm ready and I hope I can ill have the best chance with the support from you guys x
Old 12-30-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3 It's a wise choice to quit drinking. My life is so much better now that I'm sober.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Boxguy, this is my first post too. I am in a very, very similar situation as you. I'm in my mid-twenties and binge drink on the weekends with my friends. My friends see it as perfectly acceptable, but it has gotten to the point where the binge lasts much longer for me and the hangovers/withdrawals are much worse for me as well. I'm sure some of my friends will get to that point someday, but right now I have to take care of myself.

I, too, have said many times that I would change my drinking patterns, or take a break from drinking, you name it. That is why this time I'm resolved to do things differently. I'm not going to rely on myself anymore, and I started going to AA. I don't know if it will work for me, but we obviously can't rely on ourselves anymore, right?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That's great Tom I'm glad you've joined us too. I know I'm going to need help from other people. If I concentrate on myself too much ill go crazy with the anxiety of what I might have done when I'm drunk and don't remember. I need to do it this time.