Notices

New to this site, looking for support.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this site, looking for support.

Hi, all.

I'm a 22 year old girl with a lot of hopes and dreams. Since 2009 I've been in the grips of alcoholism and every time I think I'm finding my way out, it envelopes me again. I hate hurting my friends and family and feeling as though all the things I want in life will always be out of my reach.

I'll spare the details of my story, unless anyone wants to know. I really just wanted to ask the people of this site:

What has helped you the most in recovery?
Old 12-30-2012, 12:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to SR

For me,SR is crucial. I read every day and am part of the December class where all are stopping drinking this month. I also read about AVRT- Rational Recovery.Many people use AA/therapy etc
Old 12-30-2012, 01:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the response
Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Roux

for me it was support...it made a huge difference for me to know I wasn't alone, and that people understood...and it was fundamental for me to learn to reach out and ask for help.

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 12-30-2012, 01:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR X
Old 12-30-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR roux, you'll find lots of wisdom and support here!

For me, AA has been what's kept me sober. I like being around people who totally get me. They listen to what I'm saying and help me feel a part of something. And I really like being able to give something back, makes me feel worthwhile. Working the steps has been like a key unlocking a trap door. It's been pretty amazing actually!

Wishing you the very best
Old 12-30-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR. I am 25 but quit when I was 24. It is difficult to face this problem at any age, but I think being young and deciding to live a sober life is somehow harder - maybe because it is so acceptable (for some bizarre reason) in society to be drunk as a young person, almost as though you aren't living unless you are working hard and playing hard. Playing hard, from what I can gather, almost always seems to include partying and drinking. What has helped me most in recovery? Probably the realisation that NOT 'playing hard' didn't mean I wasn't living, and embracing the idea that life away from that chaos was wonderful. It didn't take long for me to truly believe that life without alcohol was a better one, I just had to convince myself a little at first. Other than that, SR has been wonderful and AVRT really helped me understand why I wanted to drink even though I really didn't want to, if you know what I mean.

I want you to know that all the things you want to do with your life do not have to be out of your reach for any longer. Since I quit drinking I have started to really live again - I have my dreams, ambitions, wants and hopes back, and most importantly I've got my soul back. You can achieve all you want to achieve - please don't let alcohol take it all away from you any longer. You can live a happy, fulfilling sober life.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome roux! Keep going and stay strong. I'd say the thing that has helped me most so far is finding this forum!