Notices

Does this sound bad?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does this sound bad?

So I've given up opiates and benzos in the last month or more and gave up amphetamines years ago. The last thing to go is alcohol. I want to give up on New Year's Day. Is that bad? Like why don't I just do it today?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's a good question...Why don't you just give it up today?...What's your plan on getting and staying sober?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My plan is to go back to counseling and actually work on my issues etc. prayer, family support, etc. That's what I've got right now. I'm not in a position to go to meetings but I'm looking into online ones.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A good decision today could save an awful hangover next week.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It takes commitment...I was hopeless...I gave it everything I had...And I work on it everyday....But I'm liking life and I'll have a year and half in a couple days....I drank for 35 years...daily. Give it all you got....Sooner the better.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
A good decision today could save an awful hangover next week.
True.

Alcohol had always a bit different for me (I know it's not) as its never been a huge part of my life until recently (preferred other drugs muchly, I don't even like it.). It's amazing what you turn to when you let go of everything else. It will become a big prob very soon if I don't stop.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
It takes commitment...I was hopeless...I gave it everything I had...And I work on it everyday....But I'm liking life and I'll have a year and half in a couple days....I drank for 35 years...daily. Give it all you got....Sooner the better.
Yeah. It's going to have to be an everyday thing. I was in recovery for 9 years from substances but still in a full on Ed. So didnt really work on anything much.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I obviously know it's a problem as I can't imagine New Years not drinking. It just seems so normal though, everyone I know drinks. Everyone I know doesn't have Irish coffees for breakfast and champagne for lunch though nor have they had addiction issues. Need to get my head around it. This will be as hard as anything.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's everyday for me...I'll always be alcoholic...It took me about three months to work the steps....To have the obsession removed as promised...And have the psychic change they talk about...A complete change in my thinking. Less about self....More about what I can pack into the stream of life. The thing that always got me was the damn obsession...It made life unlivable for me....Now I just practice a way of life that brings me freedom...And a little bit of something that I never even knew existed....Serenity.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would love for the obsession to be removed. I'm obsessed with drugs. Utterly obsessed with thoughts of using
Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midlifecrisis View Post
I would love for the obsession to be removed. I'm obsessed with drugs. Utterly obsessed with thoughts of using
I read this and said...That's what I need....So I did what they did.

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thankyou. That's good. Sanity! Sanity has returned! Can't wait!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've used the "New Years Resolution" excuse for the last five years and it never worked. In my experience, if you want to truly better yourself, you won't pick a future day to do so.

Best of luck to you.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopingToday20 View Post
I've used the "New Years Resolution" excuse for the last five years and it never worked. In my experience, if you want to truly better yourself, you won't pick a future day to do so.

Best of luck to you.
I got a brother that's done it 10 years in a row...I don't think he's even going to bother this year...He's not done....Yet.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know.

It's near future though! 3 days away!

I know, I know.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I feel like. I'm so miserable all the time at the moment. I don't want to be miserable/feel self concious/worry on New Years. Just one last time.

Stupid I know.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ok
Old 12-28-2012, 08:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Members are reminded this is a recovery forum. I've removed several posts under rule 2. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.

MLC - drinking won't help you manage your problems any better - and it won't help those in your family who really need you right now.

If you need help and support, use the proper channels to find that kind of support.

D
Old 12-28-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Is this not one of the right channels?

Apologies. Sorry, I didn't realise, still finding my way around.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The happiest times in my life have been the times when I wasnt drinking or using. Thats when my sanity and serenity returns.
Do it now Mid, there is no time like the present