Notices

New to this Site

Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this Site

I have just registered on this site; new to this as I am a very private person. I have been married to a functional alcoholic for 33 years. I left once - 12 years ago - only to be suckered into taking him back and I realize now that it was the worst thing I ever did. Nothing's changed - only worsened. As God as my witness, me and my children have spent the last Christmas watching him drink and pass out before the sun goes down! He provides for us well - I will give him that, but I am very lonely and very unhappy and it's affected my kids. We have no marriage - only in name. His drinking has killed any affection I ever had for him.

Today, I called a realtor - don't know how I will do it but I have faith that God will guide me. I also applied for several jobs online. It's a start. I'm angry. I am having to leave my home because he is perfectly content with the way things are. He would never leave. I am facing a lot of responsibility but truthfully, it's better than living with a drunk who is verbally abusive.

Tonight, I feel liberated. There is nothing he can say or do to stop me now!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Married33

You'll find a lot of support here
You might also want to check out our Family and Friends forums too

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 12-27-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, married33. Glad you found us, but sorry for the situation that brought you here.

Like Dee said, come join us on the Friends & Family forum.

Your story so far is inspirational; I think it'll help a lot of those who are still on the fence, afraid to step off and take that leap of faith in themselves.

Take good care, and keep coming back!
~T
Old 12-29-2012, 02:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that you had to deal with his drinking for long, but you're smart to realize you can only control you. I wish you well and best of luck! Let us know how things are going.