Notices

Methadone, Evil or Stable?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Methadone, Evil or Stable?

Hi I am a 25 Year old female I started using heroin about 6 years ago with my now husband and I have been clean and on Methadone for almost 2 years I am decreaing my dose as we speak and have been for the past 9 weeks I started out 2 years ago on 90 mgs and have decreased down to 56mgs since, I really just want to warn my fellow addicts about this EVIL DRUG If I could go back 2 years I would have just gotten threw a week of Heroin withdrawls instead of starting this Drug, The withdrawls from methadone are 500x worse then dope withdrawls I have never felt so bad then going without a dose for more then 1 day, about a year ago i tried to go cold turkey from methadone for 23 days and I swear that everyday it just got worse being on methadone only kills the cravings for other opiates because the methadone blocks any euphoric feelings you would expect because it saturates the opiate recepters in the brain the first few weeks I could still get high well kinda but after that it was a total waste of money to get anything so i guess in that perspective methadone is good but the withdrawls really are a million times worse then any other opiate I will be so glad when I am off ( 3 more months to go!!) I wish I never started opiates in the first place in my case my drug of choice was Heroin its so hard because it feels so good but no high is worth the pain that comes with any drug use especially this one a good alternative treatment is subutex ( they just started having it available at the methadone clinic I go to) although less of a "BLOCKER" It has way less withdrawl feelings and a way cleaner feeling to it. So good luck I hope it helps, I know it hurts right now but please trust me, methadone should only be used if you are at the point in your life that you are prepared to be on methadone for the rest of your life.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BEROTc69

Like anything I guess methadone is good for some and not for others.
I think it depends on what you're using for too.

I think you'll find that several posters here will disagree with you about having to be on it for the rest of your life, or that it's evil.

D
Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah I am all for helpful medicine and harm reduction, but methadone can be vicious... They call it liquid handcuffs for a reason, and coming off it can be a months-long nightmare. People go on when they are desperate and usu don't think it through. And after you become habituated, it will not give any euphoria at all, it will just keep you from getting sick. But some people still wake up sick on it.

I wouldn't recommend it except as a last resort and only if one is planning on staying on it for life or close to it, or if one has a terminal illness.

The main benefit is if you stay clean off everything else (which isn't a given, because if you can do that, why not stay off methadone also?), you have a much reduced chance of getting a disease or overdosing, so it can extend people's lives that way.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fixing a drug problem with more drugs always seemed counter intuitive to me. IMO if you have to go to the man every day to not be dope-sick you have a habit. Probably a less harmful habit than shooting dope and the man has a fancy pedigree on the wall, but the game is the same in essence.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

And it really is true what they say, "good things don't come easy".
Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have seen a few articles pop up now and then about "treating" meth addiction with amphetamine. Just saw a documentary on Australians doing methamphetamine and the Dr. in this documentary was just livid he couldn't "treat" people with amphetamine.

On the one hand its ridiculous and smacks of ignorance and even greed in trying to become the "legit" drug dealer. On the other hand maybe there can be some semblance of normalcy? Obviously not ideal to be on a drug constantly and you would think it leads back to previous levels of use eventually. I have no idea just thinking out loud.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovered

I was offered methadone and later suboxone when getting off opioids. I thank the universe every. single. day. that I made the choices to NOT take them. I wanted to be sober, not just on another form of dope.

I have a friend who was on methadone for 20 years. About 3 years ago, he went inpatient to get detoxed off of it. It was a hard road, but he is happy and free today. He says he now can focus on being a good dad and person in general. He says that's much easier to do when your head is clear. There IS hope and joy on the other side.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ohio1 View Post
I have seen a few articles pop up now and then about "treating" meth addiction with amphetamine. Just saw a documentary on Australians doing methamphetamine and the Dr. in this documentary was just livid he couldn't "treat" people with amphetamine.

On the one hand its ridiculous and smacks of ignorance and even greed in trying to become the "legit" drug dealer. On the other hand maybe there can be some semblance of normalcy? Obviously not ideal to be on a drug constantly and you would think it leads back to previous levels of use eventually. I have no idea just thinking out loud.
I had a friend who did crystal, and he started taking prescribed dexedrine and did better. He was nowhere near to considering abstinence or 12-step, so it is at least harm reduction.

He was still pretty nuts, but at least he is taking a pharmaceutically-made pill at a controlled dosage, instead of snorting or smoking street drugs.

Methamphetamine is an epidemic, so I think society should be open to any methods to help people...
Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
NAIOU

I came off of 45mg. Methadone after being on it for 2 years cold turkey in a treatment center. It was no cake walk. 16 days of a nightmare. It was the worst detox I have ever been through. A few years later I was on Methadone again after 2 more years. I detoxed off of Methadone 45mg. using Suboxone. It was an easy detox compared to cold turkey. I would never consider going on Methadone again. A lot of people are on Methadone for life. It has got to be the hardest drug ever to come off of. Good luck to any body trying to come off of Methadone. It can be done for I have done it 2 times. Good luck on your journey. Logo
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Wow, I haven't read all the posts here...

The heroin addicts I met in detox were taking another drug (I'll let somebody else name it). Some of them had bad things to say about methadone.

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post, I'm not an opiate abuser but have done everything except. I have been very critical of methadone though, to me it seems like taking a can of super lager off an alky like me and giving me a can of 3% lager, slowly adding lemonade.....I dunno. But from what I understand you can't die from heroin withdrawals like you can with alcohol, so why prolong the suffering. I liked what Russell Brand said to the GP in his documentary about drugs....methadone is like 'putting a bandage around a broken soul'
Old 06-18-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
All it takes is one try.

At first I thought it was a life saver and it did give me time to get some things together and get away from my DOCs. But getting off of it is a whole other story, and if I could have gotten clean without going on Methadone from my DOCs I totally would have.

Kicking Methadone is pure hell. It's just way too long lasting and repetitive IMO. So I'd have to say EVIL.

For people stuck on it (especially once that honeymoon phase is over), living numbed out on high doses of Methadone was no life to live at all and I hated having no emotions yet not being high at the same time. I absolutely hated those days more than words can explain!!!

If you can kick Opiates without Methadone or Suboxone than do it, because for most people, you're not going to want to be on an Opiate or Opioid for the rest of your life and you're gonna have to pay the piper at some point or another.

Methadone turns too many people into lifers IMO.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some people may need it, but a lot of people don't. They hand it out like candy these days.

Getting off of it has been a long drawn out hell that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

It has it's ups and it's DOWNS basically.
I guess everyone is different though.