Notices

Hello and HELP!

Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello and HELP!

Hello everyone. I have Cancer. I just completed 6 weeks of radiation and the pain associated with it was unbearable. My Doctor had me taking Oxycodone 5mg and Oxycotin 20mg. I have been taking each twice a day for 7 weeks now. 2 days ago I stopped. I can tell you I am addicted now. I felt so bad I could not get up. Knowing I had to just stop taking the meds I did but this morning could not cope so I took a dose. I have bottles of this stuff. But I want to stop. Should I start by lowering the dose or just quit. Is there anything I can take to ease the withdrawl or do I just suffer. I almost dumped it all in the toilet but have heard I could have a seizure. Is that true? I have never taken drugs even tho I grew up in 60's and did 2 tours in Vietnam. Not even pot. So I am a noob at this kinda thing. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Old 12-27-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. Since you were prescribed the oxy, I suggest going to your doctor with your concerns. He/She may suggest a taper program?

Did you stop because the pain is gone?

If you are no longer in pain, I'd give your meds back to your doctor (minus whatever he recommends for taper). They'd be a terrible temptation while in withdrawals.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Defiantly a Doctor question & issue...go to the professional source....Hope you can find comfort!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear of your diganosis. I hope you respond well and that you get through the discomfort of treatment quickly.
I think you are wise to be concerned about the pain meds. A quick read on this site is proof of how addictive they are and how they can indeed cause life changing problems. Please discuss this with your doctor. You need what you need to get through your treatment but I share your concerns and your doctor needs to be aware of your concerns in order to make medically correct decisions.
Wishing you all the best. There is always someone here if you need to vent, etc.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tell your doctor. You will not be judged harshly if your doc is worth his or her salt! You are physically addicted more than anything and you will need professional help to quit the pills. Please do this. You are not a bad person, you did nothing wrong. Cancer is a nightmare. I'm so sorry you have to suffer through that and now this pill thing... There is hope. Just talk to the doc and be very honest. My father chose not to do this, tried on his own for fear of being "blacklisted" or loosing insurance and he ended up in HUGE trouble.

Good luck my friend and may you stay cancer free.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Steve

Definitely questions for your Dr - stopping medication cold is often difficult, for anyone.

That alone may be a sign of dependence, but unless you have other things going on like taking over the dose or taking the pills for other reasons besides pain, it's not necessarily true you're addicted.

It's best to have a full and frank discussion with your Dr

I'm sorry for your diagnosis but I hope the prognosis is good and I wish you all the best.

D
Old 12-27-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Please talk with your doctor. Not taking pain medication as prescribed can also do us harm if we need to take that medication.