Notices

Raviish

Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ALCOHOLIC Raviish

Raviish

Hello everybody,

Today I am sober (I am New into the World of RECOVERY) can anybody tell me --- DO RECOVERING ALCOHOLICS BECOME PROFFESSIONALLY SUCCESSFUL & DO THEY FIND A LIFE PARTNER ???
Old 12-26-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, and yes. Welcome to SR! Stick around here long enough and both should be possible if that is what you want.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by raviish View Post
Hello everybody,

Today I am sober (I am New into the World of RECOVERY) can anybody tell me --- DO RECOVERING ALCOHOLICS BECOME PROFFESSIONALLY SUCCESSFUL & DO THEY FIND A LIFE PARTNER ???
High functioning alkies do both, so certainly both are possible if you're sober. Sometimes we kid ourselves about how functional we are though.

I've asked the same question you've asked. I drank and maintained the same job for 22 years. When the company went out of business, with the poor economy, I'm finding it hard to get back on my feet. I went back to school, got straight A's, made the Dean's List, got a grant, etc., was a darling of my teachers, studied from morning until night, and upon finishing, it still didn't seem to be enough. The economy is just awful right now.

As for the desire for a girlfriend, I gave up on that long ago. If it happens, it happens, but I'm not seeking it out. I had one heartbreaking experience that landed me in a mental institution and am fearful of the possibility of being hurt again. I was the nicest guy in the world, but it didn't do me a bit of good.

I was just as needy as her though, and was so flattered that she pursued me because I was so shy I would never have thought of pursuing her. She was so pretty, I didn't think I stood a chance.

My perception of myself was not accurate. When I look at pictures of myself in my youth, I had no reason to be self conscious.

Common wisdom is to not get in a relationship in early sobriety, but I'm not here to lecture you and I wish you the best, whatever you decide to do.

It sounds like your name is Indian. I lived in India for a year and that was my longest stretch of sobriety. I was studying music and practicing from morning 'til night. Another thing that didn't result in a financial return, but I wouldn't trade the experiences I had for all the money in the world.

I guess what I'm saying is that basing your self worth on professional success or whether you have a partner is losing sight of the most important thing, which is loving yourself... feeling good about yourself... not chastising yourself for being a bad person. That will result in better consequences than beating up on yourself.

I don't know your circumstances or if apologies are in order, but making any apologies that you think should be made will probably be a relief. If you're not forgiven, you've done all you can do and can move on and close that chapter of your life.

Better days ahead... and I wish them for you.

:ghug3
Old 12-26-2012, 11:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Getting sober was like losing my straitjacket for me, so yes and yes to both of your questions raviish

you can achieve whatever you're capable of

D
Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dee,

you certainly have a way with words that cuts to the core in a reassuring way.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Yes, definitely!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

You can give it your best shot sober. It's working for me
Old 12-26-2012, 11:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Raviish,

Being healthy and clear headed can't do any harm, right? We all experience life differently but for me everything is better. I feel better, look much better and have more dates and fun in my life than I ever thought possible just 385 days ago. Sobriety really does rock.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi raviish,

I didn't actually read your info with your name etc., so it seems a silly thing to ask you if you're from India. Anyway, you are most welcome.

This internet access thing is going viral. Anyone chiming in from Antarctica? Greenland? Jan Mayen? Faroe Islands? Svalbard? Franz Josef Land?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome and YES to both, it gives you a clear head to choose what's right for both!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Raviish and welcome to SR! To answer your question, yes we do!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

As others have said, when you are in recovery you have the chance to live your best life.

I hope you join us.