Notices

giving up drinking

Old 12-26-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

giving up drinking

Hi Guys

Im new to the forum.Im 41 and trying to give up drinking.ive been drinking for years and never knew i had a problem till about 6 month ago.i did not see it coming things just got worse and out of contol.I ve tried a couple of time but failed.but this time im doing it for me no body else like i always thought i was doing it for someone else.I have not had a drink for 5 days now and it is hard.I have been going to aa but i still looking for all the support i can as i cannot do this on my own as i first tried.so many thing are going around my head and boucing of the wall.i wish to beat this addiction once and for all.I know it is still there in my head but i want my life back.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sorehead x
Old 12-26-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome sorehead. I think you'll feel at home here - it helped me so much to not be alone any more.

You want your life back - that's how I felt too. I was completely out of control and in a dangerous place when I found SR. Congratulations on wanting to make this big change. You can do it.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

one thing i've noticed in the past few days is checking in, posting occasionally, reading posts here, it keeps my mind thinking about being actively sober. it makes sobriety into a 'thing' itself rather than just the absence of something, and that's been important, because i have a pretty active mind.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group Sorehead.
I drank, to varying degrees, for 50 years with periods of abstinence, the longest probably about 3 months.
I am presently 36 days off alcohol and moving along well.
While the past is a bucket of ashes, I still regret this huge amount of faulty time.
I see alcohol as a great and dangerous waste in many ways and hope you stick by your intentions.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome sorehead! Thats somehow doesnt seem right saying that if you know what I mean Im on day three sober and have been reading on here a lot, its helping so much, loads of really positive recovery stories and what people went through to get there. There is also a really good class of December 2012 thread that has a bunch of really cool supportive people on that you might want to check out too as we are all going through the same stuff at roughly the same time.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome sorehead.
You will find much help on here, great bunch of people.

It is really tough, really tough, but you will see by the posts from the long time sober that it is possible for you, for I, for everyone

Good luck :-)
Old 12-26-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First off, welcome to SR. You opening reminded me of myself when I started my journey on sobriety. When I first started my trek I also decided that I was doing it for this person or that person. I had to realize that the person that I was doing it for was myself and nobody else. When it comes to sobriety you have to be greedy as all get out. It is a very tough sell, but once you do make that commitment, it is well worth it.

I am 35 and I have been sober since June of 2006. And that is more or less how I got here. I had to worry about myself.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR

D
Old 12-26-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sorehead View Post
Hi Guys

Im new to the forum.Im 41 and trying to give up drinking.ive been drinking for years and never knew i had a problem till about 6 month ago.i did not see it coming things just got worse and out of contol.I ve tried a couple of time but failed.but this time im doing it for me no body else like i always thought i was doing it for someone else.I have not had a drink for 5 days now and it is hard.I have been going to aa but i still looking for all the support i can as i cannot do this on my own as i first tried.so many thing are going around my head and boucing of the wall.i wish to beat this addiction once and for all.I know it is still there in my head but i want my life back.
I know the feeling of "giving up drinking" - and it is not a good feeling.

After some time in recovery, I can see in retrospect that the more accurate description would have been "getting rid of drinking." It was a 900 pound gorilla on my back. It was ruining my life. It was not making me(or anyone else) happy. But the thought of "giving it up" forever -forever!- was enough to make me want to take a drink.

Luckily, the "giving it up" mindset doesn't seem to last all that long if one is completely abstinent and following some kind, almost ANY kind of recovery program that is based on honesty, good relationships with others, and healthy living.

I tried the almost or not quite giving it up route many times, and like many others, found it to be part of the problem, not part of the solution. To get rid of the obsession and the compulsion to drink, it was necessary for me to stop drinking entirely. Alcohol in any form and in any amount just kept the problem going and made everything worse. This, of course, is well known. It is old hat. But like many alcoholics, I refused for a long time to believe that it applied to me.

Good luck. This thing is doable. It is hard - but it is far from impossible. Millions of others have done it. You can be one of them. It sounds like you ar on your way already.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3
Old 12-26-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

welcome to SR
Old 12-26-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! I was 41 when I finally decided to stop drinking for good, turned 42 a few weeks ago and had my first sober birthday in a long time. Today is day 76 for me and it really does get easier.

Read lots on SR and come up with a plan that will best support you. Looking forward to hearing how you are doing!!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome to SR-we're all rooting for your success. It's not easy, but it's very rewarding once you start seeing things from a sober perspective. It somehow was easier to stop completely than to keep playing the mind games with myself about limiting booze, moderating (a joke, for me anyway) and waiting for my problem to go away without doing anything.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

5 days is fantastic...the December 2012 class is a great bunch. It'd be great if you';d join us.

Note that I'm saying this from being the least number of days sober of them :-(
Old 12-26-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DogMum View Post
5 days is fantastic...the December 2012 class is a great bunch. It'd be great if you';d join us.

Note that I'm saying this from being the least number of days sober of them :-(
How do I join the class of Dec 2012
Old 12-26-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sorehead View Post
How do I join the class of Dec 2012
Just go to the thread under Newcomers to Recovery and post.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

Old 12-27-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR sorehead, you'll find lots of support here!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Been back to work today just finished a 12hr shift.it was a really **** day .Stressed out as I was driving home the little git of a demon in my head says go on pull over have quick drink in that boozer your passing won't hurt you can just have one .god I had to fight it glad I did put foot to the floor and drove home .that makes 6 days now .take one day at a time .
Old 12-27-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Those old habits die very hard, sorehead. You got over that hurdle - good job. That drink won't take you where you think it will...and most likely it wouldn't end up being 'one'.