Notices

Over 60, still here and still trying

Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Over 60, still here and still trying

I'm bone-weary from this insanity. I've had sober years and drunk years and sober is WAY better! I'm trying to get traction to start again after a year of nightly drinking. i function basically but pass out in the evenings and don't remember the last of the movie i was watching. i don't take calls at night either. trying to keep my "condition" a secret. what a waste of energy!

I just found this website and forum. I'm very grateful that you are here. I need help and support. Am working on my plan now, thinking to quit on new years but maybe before then. I have to do things differently from 5 - 8 o'clock.
not easy since i live in a rural area. i guess i could just stay online and in chats all the time!

Any other "oldsters" out there?? would love to hear from you about your experiences, etc.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR stillhere.

I was 55 when I got sober.

I can relate to the drinking and not drinking times.

My drinking got slowly worse for years and years,after my husband passed away. it was like an express train and in a few years I was totally beaten.

I wish you well and look forward to readimg mre posts from you.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was 51 when I got sober.
I also avoided the phone while drunk, and the next day (hungover) I was too filled with fear and anxiety to answer it.

It's never too late to quit. Save your life now. You'll find a lot of support here, so post as often as you like, and welcome.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Idiot that picked up a bottle.

Originally Posted by Ghostlight View Post
I was 51 when I got sober.
I also avoided the phone while drunk, and the next day (hungover) I was too filled with fear and anxiety to answer it.

It's never too late to quit. Save your life now. You'll find a lot of support here, so post as often as you like, and welcome.
Being on the phone while drunk has got me put in jail for breaking a no contact order by calling my wife and leaving a voice mail telling her I loved and missed her.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi stillhere, I'm in my early fifties, I was going to quit when I hit 30, then I was going to quit when I hit 40 then I was going to definitely quit at 50, This IS insanity, its so exhausting obsessing about drink, we can do this together. xx
Old 12-26-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you had sobers years under your belt then try to find out how you got sober and follow that.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sixty one and happily sober for the last three years. Welcome to the family!:ghug3
Old 12-26-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I turned 42 in December, and I am getting close to 90 days. This site has been a tremendous support. If you read and post daily you will find loads of people ready to listen, offer advice and encouragement.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ghostman1960 View Post
Being on the phone while drunk has got me put in jail for breaking a no contact order by calling my wife and leaving a voice mail telling her I loved and missed her.
Oh yeah! Drunk dialing. I forgot about that. I would call people and try to act sober. Never worked, thought I was fooling everyone.

Thanks for the reminder of those days.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

try the following-( I have and it works) 24 hour plan outlined in the living sober book, when you have succeeded in a few 24s of continuous sobriety, then start a meeting nearby (AAWS will help),, subscribe to the Grapevine, go to one out of your area meeting a week if financially able, get a sponsor in your area. Help others.
All Best,
Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My last drink to date was 9 june 1993-at age 37- prior to I had relapsed several times between 1981 and 1993. I have also called AAWS and they answer, whether you are sober or not. My hope is you find some middle ground upon which to stand or kneel, your preference.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

If you look over these forums, you will see that a lot of people successfully use AA to stay sober. You will see comments that other programs have worked for a person "many times." AA has worked for me once, and that is all I need.

At 50, I feel like a youngster at our meetings. Do whatever is necessary to get to at least one meeting as soon as possible, even if you have not yet quit.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks for your feedback, comments and suggestions! I plan to stick around here for sure!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thx heth, i feel damn near beaten myself. tho my drinking hasn't gotten all that much worse, it's just been relentless/every day. I had to have surgery last month (non alcohol related) and didn't drink for 2 weeks. thought that would do it. wrong! i was lacking the necessary commitment.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thx for the welcome and encouragement GL. i certainly hope it's not too late. it does get harder - i've learned from experience. the first time i quit was a (relative) breeze. just wish i'd kept it up back then
Old 12-26-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

mrs. lamp, i posted on your thread this morning! just before starting this one.
YES, we can do this TOGETHER. having company is great....not that we don't have plenty of others here....
Old 12-26-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am 51 with 2 months sobriety. This place is so encouraging. This is the third time in 30 years that I have stopped drinking. Reading other alcoholics success stories with their struggles and how they overcome them gives me strength.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

70 is coming up just over the hill....

If it wasn't for AA I wouldn't have seen 45.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-26-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm only a mid forties youngun but drinking was my life for more than 2 decades.

It's never too later to change - or too soon - I think if you have a change that needs to be made why wait til nest week, next month or whatever?

I've never regretted quitting

D
Old 12-26-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm now 57, started SR in April when I was 56. I've been trying for continuous sobriety for many years. In the past I stayed sober for various periods of time. Usually a few months, then back to drinking. I've tried different programs to maintain sobriety. I stumbled across SR in April, been coming back almost everyday, that was 8 months ago. When I started here I posted about how worried/embarrassed I was about my age. Everyone was very kind and supportive. It's never too late to become sober and stay that way. Take care and glad you are here.

Bloss