Notices

2 months sober

Old 12-25-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 months sober

2 months ago I made a post on here basically seeking help for my alcoholism. I've known that alcohol is a problem in my life for quite some time, but never really saw myself quitting. I've been so used to going out and binge drinking every weekend for many years, but after many embarrassing, regretful drunk nights, I've decided that something has GOT to change.

I can't count how many times alcohol should have probably killed me. Once I started drinking I can't stop. I'd start out with saying I'll have one beer, but in reality, I wanted to get wasted. EVERYTIME. I don't drink to "enjoy a beer or two".

I thought that I needed to drink to socialize, but in reality, there wasn't a whole lot of socializing once I started drinking. I always thought that everyone else was drunk, and having a good time, but in reality, I was usually the only one "drunk".

If I continue to drink, I won't have a future. I know that if I continue to drink, I would eventually probably lose my job, and most of my friends and family. If I continue to drink, I will not have quality of life. And for that, I have decided to STOP drinking.

It's a scary thought to know that I can't have even one drink, or I KNOW that I will go right back down the road of disaster.

I'm 22 years old, and live in a town where almost everyone goes out and drinks. I'm scared to death that I will drink again, because I know if I do, it will only progress and get worse, and I can't imagine it getting worse than it was.

I'm not the person you want to be around when I'm drinking. I'm not myself, and don't know who I am.

Today I have been sober for 2 months. I can say it's got easier, but it's also got harder.

I've had a few really bad cravings to drink, and it's mainly because I have a hard time staying sober. Even though I haven't drank alcohol, I have been smoking TONS of cigarettes, and drinking energy drinks of the weekends. I still feel guilty because I still have that tick inside of me that wants "more of something"..

I constantly feel a desire for MORE MORE and MORE of something, and I don't know what it is. I think that it's my addictive personality trying to take over, but I'm trying to stay strong.

I want to thank those who have encourage me to stop drinking on here, and believe it or not, it has helped me. I feel like I'm rambling right now but it feels good to let this off my chest. Noone else understands my problem, and noone ever will.

My friend told me today, I think if you just stopped drinking for awhile you could drink again and control it, and I told him that is not possible. I might be able to drink a little this weekend, but in three weeks from now I will be blacked out wasted, and waking up trying to drink again. IT CAN'T HAPPEN. I CAN'T DRINK!

I feel good about myself, but at the same time I feel depressed because nothing around me is changing. People are still drinking every weekend, and I don't really have any friends to hang out with that are sober. It's a lonely feeling. Does anyone else feel this way?

On a good note, I've been sober for 2 months, and I'm grateful for that. I don't want to throw this all away, but at the time, there is something inside of me that is SCARED because of the strong desire I have to get drunk...

Hopefully it gets better.

I quit drinking on my own, but at this point in time I feel week and like I'm on a limb that's about to break. Maybe I will consider joining an AA meeting
Old 12-25-2012, 10:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You sound a bit like me, when I was your age I was doing what you did, and managed to carry on doing it for many years. Just storing up more regrets. I still don't know how much of my general sense of low self worth over the years has been because I drank too much.
You make an interesting point about your friend who advised you on your drinking and how to cut down. I realised that my friends were part of the problem quite a while ago, they did not understand the desire to guzzle as much as possible when the craving took hold. Sadly, I think they thought some situations were quite amusing, other times they thought I was enjoying myself, just 'letting go', they did not realise how bloody awful I felt the next morning. I had all sorts of advice, but I suppose I never really told anyone what it was doing to me inside.
Good luck, stick to it.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back T

yeah support was important to me - as well as making the lifestyle changes I needed to make.

I encourage you to check out as many avenues of support as you can.
Congratulations on your 2 months tho

D
Old 12-25-2012, 11:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I too feel very similiar to how you feel, I'm around your age too. I'm 24 years old and have a bunch of friends who drink all the time. I too cannot drink in moderation because it never ends that way. I feel that things aren't changing besides me not drinking. I drink a bunch of energy drinks as well, at least one a day, and I have been smoking a bit more than I used too when drinking.

Overall though, I am very pleased with myself for having the thought, let alone the will power to quit drinking. I am happy that I am trying to accomplish sobriety in my twenties. I am happy I have years ahead if me to work things out and become a better person. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I too am going through what you are going through and were not the only ones that are struggling with this. There are many people who have accomplished a happy sober life and we can too. I think its great you have 2 months of sobriety, I look forward to 2 months clean time which will be another month for me. Stick with it and don't give up, keep trying to better yourself and life will get better!
Old 12-25-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes I hate to admit it, but I feel as if my urge to drink is because of feeling lonely/not having a girlfriend.

I was in a 2 year relationship with a girl who I really loved, and she cheated on me and basically crushed my heart into a thousand pieces. It has been almost 4 years since then, but as much as I hate to admit it, it still bothers me to this day.

I honestly feel as if I had a nice girlfriend who didn't drink, and cared about me, I would not have the urge to drink like I do. It wouldn't solve my problem completely, but I really wish I had someone to spend my time with.

Maybe I just explained the route cause of my drinking. Depressed/single/lonely/feeling unwanted

I am 22 years old and have an awesome job making 60-80k a year. I am a respectful guy, good looking (from what I'm told, and atleast I think I am), and if I had a great girl in my life it would def change the way I feel about myself.

It's difficult because I have talked to few girls recently, and it seems like they just brush me off after talking to me for a week or so, and I take that to heart then it starts making me question myself and what's wrong with me.

I don't come on to strong, and I try to make conversation with these girls but it's like they don't even have an interest in knowing ANYTHING about me. How can you have a conversation with someone when you're the only one asking all the questions. Either my luck is bad, and the few girls I've talked to are just shallow women, or i don't know. Initally they seem attracted to me, but as I start talking to them, I feel as if they don't even care about knowing anything about me, and it drives me CRAZY

I guess what I'm saying here is that it makes me feel hopeless,,, which is a trigger to me wanting to drink
Old 12-26-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate with you on this post as well. I had a girlfriend that I went out with for 6 years and we basically ended up not working out for one reason or another. I enjoyed being in a relationship it makes you feel wanted you know? Anyways loneliness sucks but when the times right you'll find a girl that suits you, but I wouldn't rely on someone else to make you feel good because that is pretty much the same thing as looking for happiness in alcohol or any other drug. This is something I've come to learn throughout the past few years or so. I think if you focus on yourself and feeling good about who you are then the rest will fall into place. Congratulations on your sober time, I myself know its not as easy as it sounds.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats of the 2 months!

"I feel good about myself, but at the same time I feel depressed because nothing around me is changing. People are still drinking every weekend, and I don't really have any friends to hang out with that are sober. It's a lonely feeling. Does anyone else feel this way?"

I think when we first stop we expect everything to be different. I know I kind of did. The only friends I kept were the ones that were good for me. The supportive ones. I think lots of people feel lonely after quitting. I did for awhile, but I found that what I was really lonely for was the booze. I had to grieve losing the booze. That for me was my "friend" and had been my crutch for so long that I mourned it! Make sense?