Notices

Time To Talk The Doo!

Old 12-25-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time To Talk The Doo!

Ok ok I know it is a sensitive subject, but anyone have any weird withdraw symptoms? I would love to hear what others have experienced.
For me, on day two:
  • I CANNOT get enough sweets, and I hate sweats!
  • I am very hungry, I actually ate little things all day
  • I am drinking water by the Brita filter pitcher, up to two a day!
  • my anxiety is back, but I will make a Dr. appointment for that after the holiday
  • I have CRAZY nightmares, like last night, I was in a Mayan Village trying to walk home to the US lol
  • I wake up in the middle of the night like it is morning, and cant go back to sleep, thank goodness it is the holidays and I am off work
  • and the worst of all...going to the potty! I have seen that mentioned nowhere (and how in the world would I google that?) It is awful, like I was drinking water from a contaminated well or something

What about you guys??
Old 12-25-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was there too. Trust my, the "potty" issues clear up after a few days.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi RaleighGirl,

I hope you feel better soon. Your body is still detoxing so it's tough. If anything gets too difficult, it's always a good idea to talk to your dr.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Idiot that picked up a bottle.

I guess I am fortunate not to have any physical recovery issues. No DTs or any other physical maladies. Mine are all psychological. I lost everyone and everything do to my brief 2 week drinking binge after 6 years of sobriety.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

By the time i stopped i was so dehydrated, my lips were cracked and bleeding.
I was drinking about 32 ounces of lemon herbal tea and a lot of chicken broth with some cooked carrots.
And i once ate an entire large cadbury chocolate bar right before bed. It does get better, try some fresh fruit.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds about like I did. I also had little muscle spasms from lack of potassium. Ate foods high in potassium, favorite was a microwaved potato mixed with fresh spinach I zapped a few seconds, also low sodium V8 juice, B vitamins. Took about 2 weeks to get over headaches. So glad for you that you are doing this for yourself. You will be so glad.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RaleighGirl View Post
[*]I have CRAZY nightmares, like last night, I was in a Mayan Village trying to walk home to the US lol[/COLOR]
I'm not sure what you mean about going to the potty. I take vitamin B1 and it makes the pee smell like penicillin. I haven't even taken the vitamin for a number of days and the urine stream still reeks to high heaven.

Nightmares are the worst. Especially when you realize it's a nightmare but you don't know how to end it. Don't worry about the Mayan thing. That date has passed and we're still here. Destined to live, I guess.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

All that actually sounds pretty normal to me RG

Give yourself a good few days to get back to normal with most of that...for some of us it can even take a couple of weeks sometimes.

D
Old 12-25-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

It is what it is. You will get there.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nightmares was one of the things that I went through. Once I got through those I had found that there were things that my taste buds enjoyed (I didn't know this before?) Broccoli is one of my new vices. And yeah I have a sweet tooth for Ice Cream.

Like some have already mentioned, there is a variety of things that each person will go through. Some may be similar, but others not so much. It is an individual thing.

Keep at it though. This is your body's way of taking back control.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ghostman1960 View Post
I guess I am fortunate not to have any physical recovery issues. No DTs or any other physical maladies. Mine are all psychological. I lost everyone and everything do to my brief 2 week drinking binge after 6 years of sobriety.
You can count yourself lucky in that dept. in terms of the physical repercussions. The physical Jones can be overwhelming. Hand wringing, pacing the kitchen, etc. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Binge drinking and maintenance drinking are 2 separate beasts.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Raleigh.
The good news is you need never be like that again!!!

As for me, my worst withdrawal was a convulsion, on two occasions.

I also found the spinning room syndrome very disconcerting.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very normal symptoms!! I still feel like I wanna eat all the time. IT's time I made an appointment as well and final get to the root of my issues!
Old 12-25-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EFC

By far the worst symptom I went through (both this time and in my previous failed attempt to quit a couple years ago) was the insomina. I'd be dead tired all day, and then my mind would be going 100 mph once I would go to bed. Toss and turn over and over. It gradually got better and ultimately I began to sleep well, far better than when I was drinking. Almost sounds like you have the opposite, where you fall asleep but can't sleep through the night. That was actually common for me when I still WAS drinking (although it was more like passing out for me, rather than actually falling asleep. Regardless, sleep issues are common for people who quit, and time generally works itself out with time.

As for the sweets, I believe I recall reading at some point in time that, when the body breaks down alcohol, it converts it to sugar. Or something like that (science acumen is not exactly my forte). But that would explain the cravings for sweets. Lord knows I've gone through the same thing.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

not much new to add. i've experienced much of what you describe also. hang in there - this too shall pass
Old 12-26-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Fandy
By the time i stopped i was so dehydrated, my lips were cracked and bleeding.
Oh I had forgotten about this...yuk...I was dry as a bone too. Skin, hair, eyes, all dull and dry. After about a month of eating right, hydrating, and sleeping well, and not poisoning myself(!) I looked 10 years younger. People were all like Whoa...wtf happened to you??? lol

Originally Posted by renaldo
Don't worry about the Mayan thing.
haha...
Old 12-26-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

uugh I am soooo sleepy now!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Listen to your body, there is nothing wrong with extra sleep if you need it.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Listen to your body, there is nothing wrong with extra sleep if you need it.
Thank you Fandy, I actually think I am catching up on SIX YEARS of sleep!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm tired too! I stayed sober today and for Christmas as well; that makes two days in a row. Yesterday I had no symptoms at all. Today I had a full on ETOH craving at my usual hour of weakness- 6:00 p.m. Other than my strong desire to drink, I had a bad case of cottonmouth, and a strange craving for a Slurpee. With a Slurpee and dinner down I'm no longer craving alcohol, but I'm very sleepy and I'm looking forward to a sober night's rest.