Notices

And So It Starts...

Old 12-24-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And So It Starts...

Well, tonight I cry to myself (jeez only on day two!). I actually remember why I started drinking in the 1st place. I have had this evening bad feeling since I was about 8. A feeling like someone was going to die or something terrible was going to happen. I just buried it until about 29 and then I stated casually drinking with a neighbor at night. Then I realized I could actually drown out the feeling if I drank myself to sleep every night with rum. This went on for 5 or so years minus the 5 month of sobriety last year.
Well tonight my old friend is back...I dont even want to drink, I want to feel better. I cant drink, I know what will happen next, feel better ( I think), sleep (but not good sleep) then a slow groggy morning begging for at least 2 more hours of sleep.
I feel better now that I have vented a bit But I would like to hear how others deal with the sudden slam in the face of anxiety from sobriety. Thank you so much as always for listening!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of us deal with anxiety and may have even started drinking in a vain attempt to try and manage it.

Have you ever seen a Dr about it RG?

D
Old 12-24-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Raleigh ;Sounds like you've got a handle on this thing and are in a good place at least for now. It's going to get even better but watch out for the so called "pink cloud". That's when folks start to feel real good or at least so much better, feel that they're back in "control" and then when some opportunity comes feel that they can have "just one". Some counselors call the "pink cloud" the "flight into recovery". Problem is that the body, chemically and physically, hasn't completely recovered and if you're an alcoholic, the smallest amount of alcohol can set it off again, not maybe that very moment or even day, but soon you're likely to find yourself on the old slippery slope, downwards to where you were before, addicted once more. So watch you're back (your addiction is right behind you watching for an opening) and get into some kind of program for the long pull. True sobriety may take years. But it gets better and better

W.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Raleighgirl,
Drinking only worsened my anxiety in the long term. I certainly got that short term relief and the same kind of sleep you describe. As you know yourself, drink is not the answer.

Time to start looking for the answers I found stopping drinking altogether was needed for me, not an overnight answer to my anxiety but I now am having a greater understanding of myself through the program of AA and SR for support and identification.
All the best
Love
caiHong
Old 12-24-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank to self-medicate anxiety and depression. It worked for awhile, that's the hook. And, then I was gone and couldn't stop drinking.

I was able to get my depression treated by a dr and it has helped. My anxiety is still there but I am able to manage it better now that I understand more about it.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes I have been on Lexapro for about 5 years now. I think it no longer works because I fond I had to drink to totally feel anxiety free (which we all know doesnt work) I need to see my Dr again now that I am going the sober route and she if she will change my meds. You guys are so awesome!