Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Need help finding place for Alcoholic father who is suicidal and has no money..please

Notices

Need help finding place for Alcoholic father who is suicidal and has no money..please

Old 12-23-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am a 19 yr old male living close to Sacramento,CA and I am in desperate need of help and advice. My girlfriend's father has been drinking his life away every single night, he has no job and is saying suicidal things to his children. His family has tried their own family interventions but nothing is working and he is not getting better, i don't want him hurting himself any longer or hurting his family, this is literally destroying their life's and he doesn't see it. He has a 12 year old son who has to see his father stumble and act a fool everyday, that has to hear his father say things no child should hear. He is literally broke and so is the family, is there any treatments in California that would reach out and help him even though he has no money? I care about my girlfriend so much and her family, and their pain is my pain. Please help me, Words cannot explain how much I would appreciate all of your advice. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Travis
Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Sorry you are going through this Travis. There really aren't any easy answers for this.

If you feel he is an immediate danger to himself, you should report it to the proper authorities. Other than that though, most likely no one is going to force him to get help. People are generally free to make unhealthy and dangerous decisions like drinking every night even if it is potentially life threatening. If he was willing to get help that is a different matter. If you check with some city / county resources, looked for treatment centers, or other things along these lines you may be able to get a better direction to go.

Hopefully things turn out well for you, your girlfriend and her family.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Travis,

It is my understanding that the Salvation Army has a free Rehab available to people who are willing to commit to their program.

I dont know a lot about it personally, but others here may, or you could google it. It is sometimes discussed on the Family Forum, so you might want to post there also.

The only concern I would have is that you are saying he does not see a problem. If this is the case, and he does not want help, does not want to change then no one can really force him into treatment.

But then again, if he is drinking that heavily, he probably needs a professionally assisted detox, and he isnt thinking rationally. If he is truly suicidal then you can have him held for evaluation at the hospital and go from there based on Dr. recommendations.

If he is by chance a vetran, I think they offer assistance also.

Very sorry your family is experiencing this; wish I had more suggestions.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found this. Looks like free or low-income services.

Sorry you friend's family and you are going through this.

Sacramento CA Free Rehab Centers
Old 12-23-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Travis

The Salvation Army runs free programmes in some parts of the country - details here:

The Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center: Rehabilitation Program

you may also find some other alternatives here:

select your location then hit the select services button and you can refine your search that way, in this case according to cost.

Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator

He needs to want to go himself tho Travis - you can't make him...unless you want to take him to court and be declared a danger to himself or others?

D
Old 12-23-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I was unemployed,drunk, broke, and suicidal. We called the police, and I was taken away in a police car then hospitalized for three days of evaluation. Because it was involuntary, there was no charge except for an ambulance fee due to my rural home.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Salvation army. Its free too. There are other free rehabs as well if he qualifies.
Sounds like he would.
There are also rehabs that offer payment plans.
He has to want to go though. His family will need to make boundaries though. Sounds like they need alanon and to put their foot down.
Hope that helps any
Old 12-23-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
NAIOU

I hate to say this but he will only stop drinking when he is ready and not a minute sooner. I know this from my own experience. Maybe you can take him to a AA meeting and something might stick. I don't know about CA. but you might can have him committed (off to the nut house). Try and talk to him and see if he wants to do something about his problem. Alcoholism is very cunning, baffling and powerful. It is bigger than he is and he is no match for alcoholism. I wish you the best of luck on this journey. There are some people here at SR that will come along and give you some better advice. Logo
Old 12-29-2012, 01:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank you all for your support and help, i appreciate it so much. I really do.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Travis,

I live in Florida and a few years ago my father became mentally unstable. Long story short I had to call the cops and issue what is known in Florida as a "Baker Act". Basically it is a legal way of getting someone that is a danger to themselves or others to a facility where they can receive medical help. In Cali it is known as "5150"
This website has the basics of the law;
5150 and the Law
Keep your head up man, brighter days will come.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There are halfway houses that allow the new man to pay back the first month rent after they find a job. Salvation Army has already been mentioned. Some CA counties have county run treatment programs lasting up to 9 months. Lots of options.

But if he isn't willing to stop then it doesn't matter in the least what is available out there. It is nice of you to be concerned but you have no say in how this plays out for him. Drinking destroys the lives of alcoholics who have people very concerned for their well being just as often as for the alcoholics who are uncared for.