Notices

Using dreams..

Old 12-23-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Using dreams..

I have nearly five months sober, and I'm still having using dreams on a regular basis. In my dreams, I'm having a good time. When I wake up, I'm afraid that it actually happened and Ive lost my five months! Is this normal? Something to be concerned about? What do I do?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is perfectly normal. In active addiction drugs take over our life and then in recovery they r gone. I use the dreams as a reminder of where I've been and where I am now. We have an illness that has no cure and our minds will always have an addict voice. In recovery we are learning how to hear the voice but not act on it. Congrats on the clean time and keep up the good work!!!! Your pal in recovery... Wes...
Old 12-23-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Me too! I just posted about this yesterday. I have been dreaming constantly of drinking. Either I am drinking or getting some. Totally freaks me out but I think this is normal.

And congrats on 5 months!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What to do about it?

Nothing, as what you dream is out of the control of your concious mind.

I had a using dream last night and the interesting part, was I was debating whether or not I should post my failure on SR!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats on five months!

As others wrote, this is very normal. That feeling of panic, waking up unsure if it really happened or was a dream. Sucks, but important thing is you stayed sober. For most people it seems these dreams will become less frequent as you go on.

Good luck, and stick around here.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

(I found this on the "Proactive" web site). The important thing about dreams is how you feel about them; not what you were doing. So, be happy that it was a happy dream, and don't dwell on the using.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Over two years sober I can look back and realize that dreams were just that -- dreams. I never had dreams, except for nightmares, during tghe last decade or two of my addictive addictions.

And in my dreams I am normally drinking or smoking a joint. It's just the way my brain is wired after 40 years of using. I wouldn't fret them at all. I am at a point now where I actually learn that my subconscious mind is telling me tales of my past, helping me process things my conscious mind can't deal with. It's troubling yet cool at the same time.

Don't fret it. Dive in. Relish them. Your brain is working. Cool stuff .
Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome alexisv

Like others have said, they were common for me too...

I didn't attach any deep meaning to them, I didn't change anything in my recovery regime, and I stayed sober

I know they're intense but I'd try not to worry about them too much

D
Old 12-24-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Night owl

I am new in recovery and I had using dreams at first too. Actually it was so hard and my cravings so bad in the first few weeks that I actually liked the dreams. I might be in the minority on that but it actually helped me to be able to use in my dreams. It helped me transition from the "loss". I imagine as time goes on I will have other using dreams and wake up freaked out, fearful of losing my sobriety.

My dreams are so crazy anyway and now are even nuttier but are definitely reflecting that I am going through some changes.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Night owl

I had an almost using dream last night, maybe this thread triggered it. It was so weird. I had decided I could use 2 oxy's, that wouldn't be so bad but was definitely aware that I was on a slippery slope in my dream. I think I must be on the right path tho because in the dream I went out to my car to get the oxy and my car had been sucked into a different time/space continuum!