Miracles to focus on.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Miracles to focus on.

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to start a thread where everyone can share the miracles of this year and/ or the wishes for miracles to come.

Every year I have wondered why others get their miracle and I didn't. Well, I learned that it is partly about attitude and partly a work in progress.

I have met many new friends and reconnected with long lost ones. I have had the feeling of life coming full circle in many instances. Learning lessons, experiencing shifts of thought and attitude that I never expected.

Situations have gotten worse and then better than expected. I learned that I have choices and can effect change in my life in places that I never knew possible.

I appreciate all that my life is now. Last year I was filled with fear and sadness and embarrassment and hid from others. This year I am happy and fulfilled even on my worst days. I am blessed in the work I do and the new support i have there. I am blessed to have community support that I never knew existed. I am blessed to be part of a larger community where we do our best to share and care.

What miracles have you experience this year?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I still feel like finding SR was a miracle.

Quitting alcohol was and is a miracle.

Having loved ones support my sobriety is a miracle.

Being able to help someone ELSE with sobriety (when just ten months ago I did not believe sobriety would ever be possible for ME) is the biggest miracle of ALL!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great thread!! I came her, searching for help in my addiction. I lurked for at least a couple of years, got clean, went back out, found recovery. I also found out I'm a MAJOR codie (codependent) with loved ones who are still using/drinking.

My miracle is my niece, I call her "bratkin". Her mama died when she was one, in a car wreck. Her dad is an A, currently in prison AGAIN for his actions. She has addiction in every fiber of her being, from both sides of her family. My stepmom is her grandmother, addicted to opiates/benzos/whatever-will-numb-her but I love my step-family.

Bratkin and I went through YEARS of fighting, not speaking, etc. Last year, she got pregnant. To my surprise, she got married....I was there. When her beautiful baby girl was born the end of October, I was there. I went to see them, just a couple days ago, and it's truly a miracle what our relationship has become.

She knows my past, hell she lived through it as a young teen. She now understands why I wanted so very much for her because she wants the same for her daughter. We can laugh, talk about the rough times, and we're okay. She is tickled pink when I come spend time with her and her little family, and I spoil her daughter

It IS a miracle, something I never thought would happen. It's only because of my recovery, and my love and appreciation for her, that this has happened.

I was in tears, after visiting them the other day, slap full of gratitude. This would have never happened, had I not chose recovery.

Oh, and her bio-dad (she considers MY dad, who helped raise her as her dad)? She once told him "well AMY got off that shytt, WTF is YOUR problem that you can't get off it?!?!!?"

My baby girl loves and respects me, as does her husband, and her daughter will, too. Who could ask for more?

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-23-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Miracles...

I sometimes feel like I'm in a Stephen King movie.
You know, right when the hero has escaped the man-eating dinosaurs and you exhale and settle back into your cinema arm chair... ATTACK!!!!

That's how my life has been since I left AXH. I struggle. I fight. I grit my teeth and get through the day. And the next day. And then something happens that makes me relax -- I got a small inheritance that made it possible for me to pay off my debt, and the day after, I had to take out a loan to hire a lawyer to take AXH back to court. Etc.

So where is the miracle?

Well, the miracle is in that things keep working out. Things fall into place. Every time I've gotten an unexpected bill, I've gotten an unexpected refund from somewhere else. Every time I've been at the end of my rope, someone has happened to stop by with another 20 foot of rope.

And every time, with every obstacle and every difficulty -- I've survived, I've gotten stronger, and I have learned. I still whine and moan about AFGOs, but I sort of grin while I do it. Because I do appreciate how far I have come. Even if it's not always been pleasant.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great thread.
It amazes me how far I have come since August of this year. My a-exbf left me for homeless and broke with no job. Now I’m back in my own home in a different state that was rented out during my time with my a-exbf, with a full time job, money to actually pay all the bill that are due in the month they are due and getting healthy inside/out

It has been a blessing to find SR and all the wonderful people on here that have read my stories and responded with messages of hope and guidance.

My other miracle of this year was my Mom is now healthy after spending 7 months in and out of the hospital and 2 month of them were in ICU in a coma.

Life has really thrown me this year but I’m determined to make 2013 better then all years in the past. I’m starting over but this time I have knowledge, guidance, and patience on my side and for that I’m very grateful.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Miracle

1. Me and my daughter lived despite fatal pregnancy complications(she is now 2.5 yrs old)
2. While pregnant with daughter ah was in a terrible car accident. Despite it....miraculously he survived
And without any complications from it.
3.my son is such a good kid despite everything. He just got an award for being all around good student.
4.i found sr and it has been a true blessing for me
5. Family members healths have improved with successful surgeries.
6. Ah was given a huge promotion despite struggles....it is a great opportunity.
7.finding my faith and being closer to my hp
8. Learning the 3 c's without it.....I would have been in more of a rut.
9. The blessings and little miracles that involve my children....our home and welfare.
10. Finding this post to remind myself that blessings are all around us. Thank you. Needed this
Old 12-25-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Miracles this year -

AH relapse was all things considered mild
AH has quit drinking
I found SR and sanity and improvement in my relationship overall
My family is healthy - parents, brothers, sister nieces and nephews
RAH has not has a pancreatitis flareup in 5 months - we have never made it 6 and it looks like we will
I had a very busy holiday season with work.

Merry Christmas to all here and thank you for your support and advice I truly love all of you even though I have never met you.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ady gil View Post
[*]This year I finally got it, not just in words but I feel it and have begun following it up with actions.[/LIST]
This ^^^^^^ for me is my big 2012 miracle. Couldn't have said it better myself so I am stealing it from ady! ; )
Old 12-25-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ady gil View Post
I never truly understood it until this year - it's a feeling that came in random moments of clarity before finally I just knew I got it (and knowing was a feeling rather than a thinking thing - that kept me stuck a while)....I never knew I wasn't here until I finally arrived if that makes any sense and then the actions just became easier. Isn't it great?

Yep - the same for me, too. It was a slow awareness of the little changes I was making adding up to an overall healthier attitude on life. And then one day, it hit me that I had been having fun again. Even in the midst of painful situations, I was still happy with my life and grateful for it. So not the old me! But definitely now the new me.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My adorable son
My wife's ongoing recovery
Remembering that I'm a happy person, not a catastrophising nervous wreck
All of you being here when I was afraid and needed an ear

Hoping for a big one tomorrow.... Just approved surgical procedure that could end 16 months of constant pain and get me back to skiing, cycling and living my lift my own damned way, I suck at hobbling
Old 12-25-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I saw this today, it rang so truly with me as I spend the holiday with some dear friends..

"It is a miracle if you can find true friends, and it is a miracle if you have enough food to eat, and it is a miracle if you get to spend your days and evenings doing whatever it is you like to do, and the holiday season--like all the other seasons--is a good time not only to tell stories of miracles, but to think about the miracles in your own life, and to be grateful for them." --Lemony Snicket, The Lump of Coal

Best wishes and grateful thanks to you all..

X
Old 12-25-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Typed a long message, and my phone gave me a low battery warning and there goes everything. Oh well.

I had a great, calm Christmas and it's nice to have a holiday that doesn't involve alcohol anywhere.

Christmas Eve with my boyfriend M, cuddling in front of his fireplace while watching A Christmas Carol.
Christmas brunch at his sister's with most of his family. Good food, with the main beverages as coffee and orange juice. The biggest case of drama was M's 14-year-old nephew trying to navigate the difficult transition between childhood and adulthood and trying to step on a few toes to see what would happen.
Then off to get M's daughter, and watching her open all her gifts. She bought me a cucumber melon scented candle at her school's store, it smells heavenly, and she was so happy that I liked it. We played her Angry Birds death star game for a bit, and she went off to play with her best friend across the street. Her happiness is contagious.

Tomorrow we're heading to my family, all three of us. M and his daughter are leaving after the show my parents got everyone tickets for, while I'm staying another two days.

It feels good to be able to have a balanced relationship with my parents, and a healthy one with my boyfriend (who has an eccentric but harmless and well-intentioned family who seems to value good conversation, good food, and generosity above all else). I didn't think such a thing existed. I'm grateful I have been proven wrong. :-)
Old 12-26-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Upon. Going to the check out line I saw other
roses kept in a frigg.They were fresh and only
5 dallors. I picked out pink roses.
Mirracles always in my path if I stay open.
You have inspired me... I am going to go out soon and buy fresh flowers for the house.

As for miracles: I have renewed my commitment to avoid distractions that keep me from my goals and to STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR MYSELF!

I like when I renew this commitment. I can do it, even if focusing feels alien after so long allowing life to ebb right out of me... I feel more alive when I am focused and working on something I REALLY love rather than on something I have chosen to DISTRACT me!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

miracles ~ oh for me they happen every day - every moment I breathe serene and safe air ~

but especially yesterday when my God helped me take a huge step in overcoming a fear ~ I know one day this fear will be gone completely, it's not all removed but yesterday I took a huge step & I'm so very grateful ~

pink hugs