Anyone else annoyed by our society in general?

Old 12-23-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else annoyed by our society in general?

So-from what I have gathered, alcohol can do a c**p ton more damage to a person than something like weed can. Im not saying weed should be legal-eh idk maybe it should, but why the heck is alcohol legal and so easily attainable when it is the killer of so many people. It is one of those random thoughts that just really bothers me about this world in general. All other drugs that are addictive are illegal...minus prescriptions-but you need one from a doctor. So why is alcohol so simple to get? grrrrrrrr sorry-random rant

Old 12-23-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lots of dangerous things are legal. Luckily, we have freedom of choice.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

You know bamboo I have thought on this too and I think some people can drink responsibly but for those who cant why is it so easy for them to keep being allowed to drink.
In my opinion there should be more provisions than probation etc.
If a criminal cant get a gun why can they still buy alcohol?
I think after a person has been to rehab for drinking or had drinking related arrests. Duis and public intoxication their license should have a mark on it kerping them from legally purchasing alcohol
Will that stop them from drinking? No but it would make it more difficult
Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The legality/illegality of many drugs is not at all related to common sense or actual danger. Typically, controlled substances become "controlled" due to socio-economic factors. This country tried prohibition of alcohol with the 18th Amendment in 1919 only for it to be repealed 14 years later because the problems created by the black market that developed were worse than the problems of alcohol alone. Not to mention the taxes the government was giving up.

Marijuana is another example. Why is this plant a Schedule I controlled substance, along with Heroin, when benzos like Xanax are a Schedule IV substance and alcohol isn't scheduled at all? My research has pointed to racism as the reason for marijuana being scheduled the way it is. Hispanics working in the western US would finish a hard day's work and smoke a joint instead of drinking a beer because that is what they did culturally in their home countries. Whites didn't understand this pattern, became fearful, and prohibition was the result. Remember the propaganda campaigns? "Reefer Madness"?

In short, the way the government regulates drugs is not at all related to our safety. There are many revenue, socio-economic, and fear based reasons for drug policy being as it is today. I've stopped focusing on this topic myself because it is maddening. Much better to pray for serenity and just accept that it is what it is.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Country with greatest percentage of its citizens behind bars? USA
Number one reason for imprisonment? Drugs

We spend a fortune on locking up addicts and a pittance on treatment programs.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

$$$$
Old 12-23-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Actually, my dad had a DUI vehicular manslaughter and he was prohibited from buying/using alcohol.

Home made wood alcohol was causing many people to go blind.

I have no problem with decriminalizing marijuana, as soon as there are tests to confirm driving while impaired. I have to say, though, that whenever I hear marijuana smokers talk about driving while smoking, they think it is a huge joke. Smokers will have to evolve, as drinkers did (or *sigh* should) to realize that driving while impaired isn't funny.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know we had an 18 year old kid run over a mother jogging with her 2 children in a sport stroller here a couple years ago. He killed her as he blew through the stop sign. He wasn't drunk. He was HIGH on the hooch.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree. One of my co-workers adamantly likes to say that our world is going to hell because of marijuana legalization. I love to argue with him about how alcohol can be much much worse than pot. And that if alcohol is legal, I'm sure pot legalization will not cause too much more damage.

Not saying pot should be legalized, or alcohol should become illegal. I just do not quite understand: I firmly believe that pot is not even half as bad as alcohol, yet pot is illegal and alcohol is not. I can't even comprehend the argument that pot is worse than alcohol.

Alcohol - lowers your inhibitions. Meaning you are more likely to get into a fight, have unprotected sex, think it's a good idea to drive while under the influence.

Pot - raises your inhibitions. You are more likely to sit around and chill out, rather than go out and cause trouble.

Alcohol - you can die from overdose. you can die from withdrawal.

Pot - never heard of anyone dying from overdose or withdrawal.

Alcohol - is physically addictive

Pot - far less addictive. I guess I can believe the argument that it is emotionally addictive.

Alcohol - long term damage to internal organs.

Pot - it can cause damage to your lungs - but even that has been disputed.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hate pot. My XAH used alcohol and pot. I believe that combining the two has fried his brain.