Notices

How the Chat room helped me!

Old 12-23-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How the Chat room helped me!

Hi all,

I just wanted to bring something up, I love posting in the forums, but I feel that the chat room has helped me a lot more in times of desperate need.

I think the real time aspect of it has help me a lot, I dont have to sit around waiting for people to read my posts, i can get the help/advice/support right here in chat with people I've grown to love and respect!

I hope you all have a great day, and happy holidays! Hope to see you all in chat at some point
Old 12-23-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Same for me Amanda.

I came to this site while googling a medical issue. Turns out that SR suggested it might have been alcohol related. I thought that was possible given the circumstances. I'd just finished a case of beer and a cask of wine and had a hell of a hangover. I'd been on holidays and drinking morning to night for 6 weeks and daily drinking for 10 years.

I made it into chat and people were really kind and helpful. I'd never considered stopping drinking before. I thought I'd last a day. I stayed on chat constantly for the first few weeks and have been a regular since. I had my last drink 5 months a 1 day ago.

People convinced me that AA might not be as scary as I thought - and it wasn't - at least not after the first one. I've now lost 25kg, no longer have threats of losing my job. My garden doesn't annoy the neighbours (they've invited me over for Christmas) and I've had medical issues checked out with no problems.

The chat room has been the most important part of my recovery. More people should stop in and say hi.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

What a great post..

I am sorry I get in there like I used to. But it was intrumental for me also... I was there 24 hrs a day for months..

I love you amanda and I hope you have a wonderful christmas with the new dog..

RIP Diesel.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Manda thank you for this post. :ghug3

The chat room has helped me immensely.
I had a perfect example this morning. I had problems with my furnace and was just overwhelmed.
Now I realize the recovery chat room is not a Home Depot sight....it is for recovery....the reason I signed in to talk about my furnace was that was the thing that was pushing me. The thing that was overwhelming me and making me think a glass of wine would solve everything. I wanted to talk to a human being about my frustration and that I was a having a hard time coping. That is part of my recovery.
The people in chat listened and cared. I was able to spell it all out and get feedback. I didn't feel all alone in the world and I felt my frustration was understood.
Chat is used for all kinds of topics but recovery comes first. If we are discussing something, food being the most popular subject, we stop when someone needs to focus on recovery.
Another thing I think is great about chat is the variety of people using different methods/programs to get and stay sober. There isn't one right way and chatting with such a diverse group gives you input on techniques or tools you might not be aware of. You also get a chance to meet people from all over the world.

I have heard some comments that chat is "cliquey".
In the time I have spent in chat, which is a lot, newcomers are welcomed warmly and encouraged to share.
Is it perfect? Is anything?
I try to greet all Newcomers as do most of the members ....but there are some days when I am having my own issues and I have just signed in to listen so I remain silent. We are all just human working on some really tough things.

If you haven't tried the chat room stop by. It is an awesome resource to have in your recovery.

The moderators do an awesome job and I thank they deserve a huge thank you.

Hope everyone has a safe holiday season!!
Old 12-23-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

I was helped in chat too the other day, I got in there just to tell somebody that I am powerless over my daughter. The people there, one in particular, assured me that indeed I am as are we all over the people in our lives' addictions. It helped me out so much to get that reaffirmation.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

If it was not for the support from the friends I have met in SR chat I would not be 4 months sober today and I would not be looking forward to Christmas.

Initially I lived on chat the times I would usually be drinking which saw me chatting away to all hours of the morning .... I would wake up tired but not hung-over... actually not a lot has changed in that regard LOL

There have been a number of times I have had to rely on the encouragement from SR chat friends to not take up that first drink. We vent .. we laugh ... we cry..all in real time.

Sometimes it may appear that people are busy or not listening to newcomers. Most of the time people are greeted as soon as they enter the room ... if not speak up introduce yourself to the room and get to know us.

I encourage anyone who is struggling with their sobriety to consider adding chat to their recovery tool box. For me personally it is my number one tool.... in conjunction with my August class.... without it I would not be sober today.

So to all those I chat to regularly and especially to Opi and Nic thankyou for all your ongoing support.

HAVE A MERRY AND SOBER CHRISTMAS.

Cheers
Jodie
Old 12-23-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love hearing this about the Chat Rooms!

I'm so glad that it is so beneficial to you.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

^^^ me too!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-23-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Old 12-24-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I came to SR, back in April 2010. The help I received in chat will never be forgotten. The people in there, held me up when I couldn't do it myself. They played a big part in my recovery. The meetings we're an added bonus. I doubt I said two words when I joined them. Little by little I regained my voice, with the kindness and support I received.

I'm so happy to hear others feel the same way. Seeing members blossom over time fills my heart with gratitude. I love SR and all the amazing friends that are sharing their journey with me.

Chat supports and encourages members everyday in recovery. If you're struggling, need a friend, or just want to talk about the weather, come and join us. We'd love to meet you!

Best Wishes!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I feel this post could use more attention to those who could use the help.
Chat room is very enjoyable and can provide a social outlet for those who are trying to keep away from the temptations, but would still like to interact with people, and friends.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have spent an enormous amount of time in these rooms for the past 3 years. I am stable in my recovery now and owe a lot to the individuals who spent time with me. Also proud to be the lone Indian here. Not once has race been an issue. SR should be proud of that.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Old 12-30-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Chat is hopping these days!

Come on by and see what we're all about! Chit chat and talk about what's bothering people, no matter what their situation is!

All are welcome to join us!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb