Notices

Going to my first meeting

Old 12-22-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Going to my first meeting

I am nervous but I am on my way to my first meeting, it is for beginners. Anything I should expect?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

What to expect...

You can expect to find people who understand your addiction as well as anyone on earth. Keep an open mind, listen...and just keep going back. I love the AA program.

GOOD LUCK, Kat
Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you're anything like me....You'll know you're in the right place.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Let us know what you think of it....What part of Florida are you in?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
I am nervous but I am on my way to my first meeting, it is for beginners. Anything I should expect?
Just show up, they'll know what to do with you. Looking forward to hearing about it ....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-22-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

Thinking about you, Tam. Anxious to hear about your first AA experience. Have just come from a meeting myself and am feeling very good.

Ya know, I fought AA for a very long time. I am quite an introvert and talking in meetings doesn't come naturally for me, but I am at the point now that my level of comfort has NOTHING to do with it. I am in Alcoholics Anonymous to save my _____! (And it will...I've seen it happen many, many times).

Take care and look forward to seeing ya here.

Kat
Old 12-22-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

It was ok. I was the only person that was brand new, never been before. People had advice. Some had lectures. There was an older guy there who I related to when he shared... He said that when things were going good in life, he would relapse because he knew he didn't deserve it. It took him a long time to learn that he was worth it... I can really relate to that and hope overcome that a well.

Sapling, I'm in Clearwater.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Kitkat, I'm extremely shy and introverted so I did not talk really, it was weird enough I went somewhere on my own and said I was new. Lol I will get comfortable, I'm sure.

Thanks all!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
And the walls.....

"Take the cotton out of your ears and stuff it into your mouth" was what I was not told soon enough......
Old 12-22-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi tam-- Just yesterday I went to my first mtg ever & all I said was I was on day 5. Today I went to my second meeting -- a women's only closed mtg -- and all I said was I was on day 6. I really don't know what I think of the meetings, actually don't think it matters what "I" think. This whole sobriety trip is a trip to an unknown world for me --

but, I'm going to keep going to meetings, coming to SR, and working for more sober days. I hope you will, too!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Keep coming back..

or the way I like to say it..

Just stay !!!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
This whole sobriety trip is a trip to an unknown world for me --
Well put.

We are going in a whole new direction and will need all the faith and trust we can muster. Get a sponsor and follow him/her. Question the oldtimers at and after the meetings.

You will soon be amazed ...

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-22-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope it goes great for you Tam

D
Old 12-22-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It was ok. I was the only person that was brand new, never been before. People had advice. Some had lectures. There was an older guy there who I related to when he shared... He said that when things were going good in life, he would relapse because he knew he didn't deserve it. It took him a long time to learn that he was worth it... I can really relate to that and hope overcome that a well.

Sapling, I'm in Clearwater.
You got something out of it...That's good...You don't have to talk when you go. I got a sponsor right away...No sense being a co-pilot without a pilot...It was all new to me too. He told me to just listen for my first 30 days...And to understand the book...I'd already read it three times when I picked him...I knew what I had to do...The steps. I've been to Clearwater...Nice place....I'm in southwest Florida...This state is like the recovery capitol of the world...Try some different meetings...Pick one you like...Make it your homegroup...Be a part of it...That's what it's all about. Good job...Some great AAers here...You got questions...Go to the 12 step forum and ask.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL sorry I missed your post-meeting post Tam

D
Old 12-22-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post

You got something out of it...That's good...You don't have to talk when you go. I got a sponsor right away...No sense being a co-pilot without a pilot...It was all new to me too. He told me to just listen for my first 30 days...And to understand the book...I'd already read it three times when I picked him...I knew what I had to do...The steps. I've been to Clearwater...Nice place....I'm in southwest Florida...This state is like the recovery capitol of the world...Try some different meetings...Pick one you like...Make it your homegroup...Be a part of it...That's what it's all about. Good job...Some great AAers here...You got questions...Go to the 12 step forum and ask.
I will go back, I don't know that that particular group will be my home group but they seem to have the most meetings. Just trying to keep an open mind and listen and not know everything. I usually know everything so I'm attempting to take a back seat for once. Lol

Thanks, Dee! It's all good!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wishing you all the very best. Please do share how your meeting went!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I will go back, I don't know that that particular group will be my home group but they seem to have the most meetings. Just trying to keep an open mind and listen and not know everything. I usually know everything so I'm attempting to take a back seat for once. Lol
You got a good attitude...Shop around.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

yup, it was a completely new trip for me,too. there were 2 things i was good at in life: working and drinking. unfortunately they didnt go together too good and i gave quite a few very lucrative jobs away.
anything else in life i had no clue about. i didnt know crap about crap. the program and fellowship taught me how to live lifeone day at a time.