Notices

Hungover!

Old 12-21-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hungover!

Oh dear me. After three weeks of living soberly and loving it, I ended up amongst old friends last night and drank myself completely daft. I wasn’t a disgrace, to my surprise, but I certainly feel terrible today. It has been a good lesson for me; I can’t drink in moderation. I don’t feel sorry for myself, I know what I need to do I just thought I ought to confess my sins on here!
So the counter is reset. This time, it’s happening!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome back. Sounds like hanging out with old drinking buddies may have not been the best choice.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Welcome back. Sounds like hanging out with old drinking buddies may have not been the best choice.
I thought about that too. But then I wondered whether I was just trying to spread the guilt around by thinking it - after all, they're not alcoholics so why would I expect them to understand my need to not drink? It's my fault I got drunk and if I'd have been brave enough to explain to them that I've been struggling, they would have supported me.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There is a line that goes something like, "If you go to a pool party you are likely to get wet." I had to stay away from drinking situations for quite awhile
Old 12-21-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

So what were you thinking about before the party? Just one?
I have been to a few parties since becoming sober. I always have it predetermined in my mind before the party that I will not drink under any circumstance. If you can't do that before the party, perhaps it is better that you don't go until you are better equipped to handle it. Believe it or not, once you know you aren't going to drink it seems to make it easier to handle the situation. Well, it does for me anyway.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi SoberRo. I tested myself so many times. No matter how determined I was to keep it to 'one or two' it never worked. It was actually a relief to admit there was no control, ever. I feel so free now! Glad you came here to talk about it.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

we all done it. stay with the programme
Old 12-21-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah I really didn't need any more proof of my inability to drink in moderation ... but that's what I'm deciding to see it as. There is no point in dwelling on it; in future, if I can't be sure I won't drink at a party, I just won't attend. I'm sure eventually it won't be a thing, but last night is proof that I can't just sit in a pub all night drinking diet coke!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

It's instructive to review the sequence of 'internal' events that led to this.

It is not all peer pressure.

I rationalised myself into a lot of bother over the years

Staying off the slippery slope helps
Old 12-21-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That old A.A saying is very true. Avoid the first drink an dits impossible to have a second.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well I pray for a new begining for you
Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You know you are not in this alone SoberRo right? I have just joined and am on day 6. My source of encouragement in posting and finding support from members, as well as reading others stories for support and encouragement. You need to be strong for other people in here that read your posts and take strength from your strength.

Hang in there and remain strong. Not just for yourself but for the other people who are encouraged by you.

Andrew
Old 12-21-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody for the replies. I'm very disappointed in myself, I accept complete responsibility for my decision to take that first drink. It's done now, and life goes on. I've made a promise to myself that if I feel compelled to drink when out socially, I'll go home rather than push myself beyond my limits.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Ro
Like others have said I needed to avoid those kinds of social situations for a while.

I think living sober is a skill and it takes time to learn that skill, and to develop our sober muscles.

I waited until I was sure that no situation or no company I kept could sway me from what I knew was the right way to live for me.

I still think that was a wise move on my part.

D
Old 12-21-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just went to my first party this week and I've been sober for almost 7 months. It was all women and held at 4pm. I planned well-had my own car, brought diet soda, and had a supportive friend with me. It went fine but I don't think I could've done it much earlier.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome back Ro! I am sorry you slipped, I am glad you came right back here. I have 71 days today and have avoided all drinking situations so far. I know there will be alcohol on Christmas, so I will be bringing my own drinks and plan on hanging out with the kids, they make Christmas anyway!!

Glad you came right back.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Idiot that picked up a bottle.

Originally Posted by SoberRo View Post
Oh dear me. After three weeks of living soberly and loving it, I ended up amongst old friends last night and drank myself completely daft. I wasn’t a disgrace, to my surprise, but I certainly feel terrible today. It has been a good lesson for me; I can’t drink in moderation. I don’t feel sorry for myself, I know what I need to do I just thought I ought to confess my sins on here!
So the counter is reset. This time, it’s happening!
I had to find out the hard way that I cannot drink in moderation.