Notices

Is occasional moderate drinking possible for some?

Old 12-21-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is occasional moderate drinking possible for some?

Just wanted to take a vote to see how many think some amount of social, moderate drinking is realistic for those who were previous problem drinkers? At my second Xmas party last night I socially drank a small glass of sparkling wine and later 1 beer. I had no desire for more and no desire to drink anything today. What do YOU think?
Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

i tried and failed, over and over, to drink in moderation. I finally gave up and just quit drinking altogether. It's easier for me to not drink at all than to try to moderate.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

One equals many.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
i tried and failed, over and over, to drink in moderation.
Same here. Not possible for me.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I personally can't. That said, I know plenty of people who can. It just comes down to the individual.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I *could* do it, probably.. but would never want to. I always drank to feel drunk..having one every once in a while would eventually spin me back to where I was and I have absolutely no desire for that at all.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This study showed that from 43000 alcoholics, 17.7% of the sample group were moderating alcohol successfully after one year.

18.2% were complete abstainers.

Approximately 25% were still alcoholicly drinking.

27% were in partial remission.

11% were asymptomatic.

What this tells me, is that the only sure way to avoid the snare of addiction, is to abstain completely.

A long term follow up on those moderators would be of interest to see how many began abusing alcohol again.

As I've posted many times before, published, peer reviewed and valid scientific study of large sample groups, showed that with 16 year follow ups a very large percentage of those who successfully abstained end up relapsing back into addiction.

Moderation is not worth the risk, as you are setting yourself up for failure.

Alcoholics Can Recover from Alcoholism & Drink in Moderation

I'm incapable of moderating my consumption of alcohol over the long term.

I guarantee I could crack open a single beer tonight, drink it and then come back on this forum letting you know what a great success it was.

I also guarantee that within in a short period of time, I will have graduated to daily abusive drinking again.

Which means, my success would have been short lived and temporary!

Successful moderation of alcohol is measured over a life time and that, I know for certain I am completely incapable of.

Another thing that I am aware of, I don't want one or two beers...I want as many needed to get drunk...every single time.

That is why I do not drink alcohol. Ever.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

sobermarathon i see you are new to the forum.

This topic has been brought around many times before and eventually it boils down to the OP wanting validation for continuing to drink...

I can moderate, but it's exhausting and obsessive....and that is not normal behavior...it is easier to NOT drink and be done with it. it's a beverage, there are many better with no alcohol.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This one is pretty simple for me....If I could moderate my drinking I'd be doing it...And I wouldn't be on a recovery site asking if it was possible.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
This one is pretty simple for me....If I could moderate my drinking I'd be doing it...And I wouldn't be on a recovery site asking if it was possible.
Yup!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to take a vote to see how many think some amount of social, moderate drinking is realistic for those who were previous problem drinkers"

heres what im reading:
for those that were previous problem drinkers. what are they now?
personally, i passed problem drinking many years beofr ei got into recovery. i know in my heart there is no possible way for me to moderate, unless moderate means drink until i pass out.
but i chose not to do it today because sobriety rocks!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A very tricky question and nearly impossible to generalize an answer. If a person is an "alcoholic", moderate drinking is usually thought to be impossible and filled with risk. Yet there are some who argue that this is possible. I would not take the chance myself. Have tried it all too often and failed. Just surviving "one drink" and seeing no aftereffects is misleading, since at least for me, my body seems to know and starts prepping for the next drink and the next and so eventually down the slippery slope.
But then there are those who are not "alcoholics" but merely "problem drinkers" if those classifications have any validity. Do they? Or is this more like a spectrum and there is no sharp dividing line between alcoholics and problem drinkers? All I can say is that I suspect that much depends on the individual. If moderate drinking doesn't work out, leads to episodic binges or becomes steady maintenance drinking, then I would think that the short answer is "give it up entirely". Otherwise be ready for trouble down the line. There's a lot of risk involved, a lot on the table.

W.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I tired moderating the summer of 2011. It actually went ok for awhile. Then some sad things happened and by spring I noticed I'd resumed daily drinking. Quit all alcohol in June 2012 and feel so much better....and found it easier. It is tiring to "think" about how much and when you'll have a drink.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
At my second Xmas party last night I socially drank a small glass of sparkling wine and later 1 beer. I had no desire for more and no desire to drink anything today. What do YOU think?
I think you are back to day one. Good luck on your sober journey.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For an alcoholic, occasional moderate drinking is not possible, hence this is why they're alcoholic. For everybody else then it is possible, hence they aren't alcoholic.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I strongly advise you don't try to prove us all wrong .......

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-21-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

After abstaining for a while I would fool myself into thinking that I could moderate by having one or two... like you did at your party.

This would "plant the seed" that I was back in control.... NOT! The spiral would soon begin again and I'd get progressively worse into my addiction. Alkies like me have very short memories and only focus on the initial buzz not the misery.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

P.S. My own experience indicates that the longer the illness (which is chronic) progresses, the less time it takes from the first "moderate" drink (just one!) to a real bust up. The last time this happened to me (24 years ago) it took just one week for me to get into serious difficulty. If I had a "moderate" (one!) drink today I might be in deep trouble within 48 hours. And death always is another possibility.

W.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I didn't like drinking moderately,I liked getting drunk.

I think by the time people search,find and use this site, moderation has been attempted and failed many many times
Old 12-21-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I came up with a different plan almost every day for years. Always said to hell with the plan after the first one. I don't want that life back so I just don't do it.