Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Any1 find inspiration in their pets? Being Barry's "dog mama" has helped me.. lol

Notices

Any1 find inspiration in their pets? Being Barry's "dog mama" has helped me.. lol

Old 12-21-2012, 01:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

Question Any1 find inspiration in their pets? Being Barry's "dog mama" has helped me.. lol

well... thus my screen name on SR, I am "mama" to a wonderful lil TeddyBear pup named..... what else but.. Barry<3 ...I have noticed many nice avatars of your pets.. & wonder if anyone else finds them a huge inspiration to staying sober.. I recall all too well those sad little eyes looking at me in concern when I was so hungover I couldn't move...they truly are angels from God I believe<3
Old 12-21-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If I was half the person my dog thinks I am I would be pretty special. Of course they inspire us--where else do you get unconditional love--our DOG or GOD Hmmmm
Old 12-21-2012, 03:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I adopted my little dog when i was 3.5 months sober (the first time). I treat my pets like kids and know they depend on me for care and i am responsible.
I believe the dog was the reason i have never slid back down into the black hole. ...i've had a few slips along the road but each one was short lived....because caring for the dog is more important than being selfishly drunk.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rocket and Rainey are laying by me right now. I totally get it bm. My dogs are my love.
Dub
Old 12-21-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My dog came three years ago as a pup, one week after my husband of 23 years decided to suddenly leave the marriage. She's been my buddy ever since, through depressions, drunk days and nights, hangovers, withdrawals, sobriety, relapse, and sobriety again .. More than a few times I've apologized to her for not taking her out to run in the backyard, because either drinking was more important, or I was sick and tired because of drinking ... She probably knows the real "me" better than anyone .. and she inspires me in many ways, loving unconditionally and always happy to be by my side. I could learn a few things from her -- and actually I have.

Nice thread!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I love my furred companions. I volunteer for a canine rescue and have fostered over 30 dogs who were seeking forever homes.

But they didn't get or keep me sober.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

wow... sounds like I'm not the only one They are a wonderful thing to add to/help along, recovery Glad to hear your experiences there!!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No. My cat gets on almost every nerve in my body.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My dog is my higher power. And he knows it and plays it for all it's worth. One of my favorite books about alcoholism and addiction to dogs is Caroline Knapp's "Pack of Two". She got into recovery only to find herself addicted to her dog. What to do? Maybe call 911 and have someone sent over from the American Kennel Club? Do you suppose there's a cat somewhere that runs a rehab for dog addicts? :ghug3

W.