Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Drinking and Using, Why tempt fate? I choose not to drink and use.

Notices

Drinking and Using, Why tempt fate? I choose not to drink and use.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Drinking and Using, Why tempt fate? I choose not to drink and use.

So it's the Holiday season again. Lots of Parties, lots of people drinking and using, getting out of control.

Standing at the side lines at family functions or company parties while others are drinking and using, laughing and urging me to partake. For a moment here and there I begin to think hey just one drink might be fine, hey just one pill, it's no big deal. One night only, right?

Well I have no need to tempt fate. Perhaps there is only a 5% percent chance of a full blown relapse. I have no desire to find out. Because when I think things through and see how far I have gone in my life now by giving up drinking and using, I know deep down that using and drinking will not do anything good for me beyond a few short lasting moments of artificial "happiness"

You know what? When I see everyone the next day nursing hangovers and I am up bright and early with energy to go for a walk or a run, I know I made the right decision.

I choose not to drink and use because drinking and using does not serve my best interests. It may try to trick me into thinking it will be good for me, but I know by looking at my journals and posts from when I drank and Used that it did more harm then good for me.

What helped me was writing down all the reasons why I no longer wish to drink and use. I keep a copy of that list with me, either as a electronic text post in my phone, or in a piece of paper in my wallet. If I ever get the urge to drink and use, I refer to the paper and remind myself why I choose to not drink and use.

Happy holidays and Happy new years friends! I hope that 2013 brings you health and happiness. May we have many reasons to celebrate our lives over the next year and years to come.

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.”
― Fred Rogers

“Often when you think you're at the end of something, you're at the beginning of something else.”
― Fred Rogers
Please watch this beautiful video and short song with Mr. Rodgers
Working on staying Positive and cultivating positivity does so much for this world. We tend to focus on negativity much more then the positivity. It is time to take back control of our minds from the negative thinking!
Watch this short Mr. Rodgers video and I am sure you will be inspired.
Mister Rogers| Garden of Your Mind | PBS Digital Studios - YouTube
Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a coincidence. I choose not to either. Good for us....... Happy Holidays to you as well.....
Old 12-20-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

funny, I've been using the term artificial happiness too, the unhappiness is not however been artificial..
Old 12-20-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wonderful post SS

Those are my sentiments exactly.