Notices

Devil on my shoulder

Old 12-20-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Devil on my shoulder

So I'm coming up to 90 days sober on Saturday. Unfortunately that's when family will be arriving to spend Christmas with me. They drink and the house is full of all the poison that I love in readiness for them.

The voice in my head is telling me it wouldn't hurt just to have a few cocktails and glasses of wine over the holiday period, I've abstained for nearly three months I can stop again in the new year...the voice is very persistant and persuasive and it's driving me crazy!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My voice sounds very similar to your voice I am not one to dish out advice at the moment as I don't have 3 months sober under my belt, I only have 1 day so I hope you fight your voice and win
Old 12-20-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

hopefully you'll find some suggestions here PP?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...trategies.html

D
Old 12-20-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pure: That thought, urge voice, AV whatever we call it is always going to try to persuade us that we can have a few and be ok. Down deep we know it is not true. You are doing so well 90 days,( 3 months) on Saturday is great. Some days I just take it one hour at a time, until the thought passes. You are worth it, take care
Old 12-20-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't do it ! Imagine how great your going to feel not filling you body with poison and visiting with family sober . I imagine you will even feel beter the day after Xmas and NYE knowing you Didn't budge . It would also be a super way to start the new year being still sober .
Old 12-20-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here's a question for you: Can you say with 100% certainty that you will be able to stop after New Year's?

Every time I ever relapsed, it was *never* a one-night thing, even though that's all I ever intended for it to be. Before I knew it, weeks, sometimes months would pass me by.

And usually, I'd be in a *much* worse spot than I was in in the first place.

Why even take the chance? It's like jumping off the top of a building. Yeah, you *might* survive. But do you even really want to find out?
Old 12-20-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

I agree with Squizz.

Every time I went to have a few after a period of sobriety...I wake up one day weeks months or even years later wondering why.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pure, congrats on 90 days! That is not an easy feat by any stretch of the imagination. Don't throw it away. Go back & read your old posts. Look how far you've come.
Don't lock yourself back in prison.
You deserve to be free from that.
Tell the devil on your shoulder to take a hike!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Pure does your family know of your issues with alcohol? Mine do and all support me.a. while it will be around me during the holiday's they all know I'm not drinking. Being a known non drinker is one of my sober aids. When and if I feel awkward, I talk to my wife, my brothers, or just go to a room and be alone for a little while.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 90 days sober! Be very proud of your accomplishment.

I also agree that you can't be sure you can stop again. I believe each time is harder physically and mentally.

Also, we never have alcohol in the house and we never serve alcohol. It makes life so much simpler. I remember Betty Ford saying that she never served alcohol in the White House after she stopped drinking and it really stuck with me. My house, my rules.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That voice is lying! It has lied to me many times over many years.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi NA

They know I overindulge (massive understatement!). They'd be supportive of me not wanting to drink and wouldn't encourage me. I can't see them abstaining over Christmas though and wouldn't expect them to. I just need to get past the idea that everyone else will be having fun and I'm missing out.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

First of all,congrts on 90! Wow,that's really great. You've come this far,why throw all that hard work and discipline away for one holiday? I'm sure normal people have fun while having a few. But alcoholics can't. One is never enough. I'm speaking for myself here. And the suppossed fun times have turned into nightmares for me on many occasions. I really hope you stay strong and committed. And have a wonderful, sober, Christmas.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 90 days,you triple my current level.
There will always be tough challenges.
Just think you can make it 90 plus days or go back
to (1) again.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for all your encouragement and support. I wouldn't have made it this far without all the amazing people on this site. It's been a long hard road getting here, I really don't want to be back at day one. It's not going to be an easy few days but your comments have given me the motivation to work harder at getting past this difficult point.

Yeah, gonna tell that devil to take a hike...maybe I'll get him some boots to help him on his way!
Old 12-21-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You really aren't missing out on anything by not drinking. In your sober 90 days, have you been to a party or bar or out to dinner? My guess is that you didn't drink. I find that I enjoy myself at parties more now that I am sober. I am not the one doing stupid things, I can remember everything that I said or did. I wake up refreshed while others are miserable. I have heard so many times on this site that no one wishes they drank the night before or regrets not getting drunk. If the voice keeps up, think of starting over again. I'm only on day 26 and I sure as hell don't want to be a day one again. I had 30 days and drank with family on Thanksgiving and am pissed that I could of had 56 days. Deep down, your family will be admiring your courage to stay sober. Some members may want to do the same as you. It's only one day, one weekend, one week, whatever. Not drinking is not the end of the world. You will thank yourself in the morning, I can promise you that!
Old 12-21-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done on 90 days! I'll be 60 on Christmas Eve and its been on my mind so my suggestion is to focus on 100 days. Leave reminders out, put post it's in your cupboards etc. focus on the next goal date. Write '100' on your hand if need be. Keep going.

Good luck

S x
Old 12-21-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am close to 90 days too and have the same thoughts! We can do this!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Red face

Hi guys. Just checking in. Still sober! Family all gone to bed now and I'm relaxing with a cup of tea. Will be great to wake up with a clear head. 1 day down 5 to go. Hope I can make it.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You can do this!! So proud of you