Notices

Newcomer

Old 12-20-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer

Hello to all. My name is Gabe and I am 36 years old. I have joined this forum after browsing around a bit and I hope to use all that it offers to help me stop drinking. My drink of choice is a nice cold beer , or 15 . I consider myself a binge drinker as once I start I cannot stop until about 12-15 beers . I do this 1-2 times a week for the last 10 years or so.

I did stop drinking about 5 years ago for eight months when I broke my ankle on a long alcohol induced night and actually enjoyed it very much . Right now what is hurting me the most are the hangovers . My last drink was 2 nights ago when I was invited to a local establishments Christmas party with all you can drink free beer and food . They let us actually pour our own beer behind the bar and of coarse I didn't stop until I knocked over 22oz mug full of beer . Yup I was really drunk . I didn't make into work yesterday as I slept until noon and had a massive hangover all day. I am up right now at 4:20am feeling better but still do have body aches, particularly in my knees .

I am happy to have joined this site and look forward to reading many posts and enjoying a sober lifestyle . I really believe in myself and feel I can stop drinking period. I am going totally alcohol free as cutting down just doesn't work for me. Day 1 of sobriety is in the books .
Old 12-20-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 1. I will be joining you very soon in the wonderful world of sobriety
Old 12-20-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Havinfaith and a very warm welcome to SR. Well done on Day 1 and you've made a great first step.

Cutting back on alcohol never worked for me either and the binges just get worse. Great decision.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I could never moderate either. I could go days without drinking, but always succumbed and went on a bender that would sometimes last days.
This progressed to being a daily drinker where I could not control myself or the amount I consumed.

Alcoholism is progressive. Please don't let yourself reach the depths I had to go to. It got to the point where I could neither drink nor stop. It was frightening.
Many people find support groups helpful. If you're willing to go to any length to stay sober, you may wish to try AA or another program.

I know where you're coming from, and best to you.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! Me either, once that train got going there was no stopping it until would wreck
Old 12-20-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Another Gabriel (Gabe) here. I can totally relate as beer is the only thing I drank. I'm 2 years younger, but glad you joined here. Stay strong
Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard Gabe

D
Old 12-20-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

Glad you are here, Gabe Ironically, yours and my last couple of days have been just about identical.. but hey, we made it to day 2, right? we can keep it going..
Old 12-20-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Gabe. Yeah, I was the same - a beer or 15. I worked my way up to a 30-pack in a day, and I'm just a small woman.

I wish at 36 I'd taken a look at what drinking was doing to my life. I kept trying to control what I drank, and it was never possible. Things spiraled out of control, and it was so hard to reclaim my life. This won't happen to you. Congratulations on your decision.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, I'm glad you're here.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

((Gabe)) - Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-20-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Idiot that picked up a bottle.

Good luck! 7 days here. Its tough but doable.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Gabe! Congratulations on day 1! You've taken the first step toward recovery and that is admitting to yourself that you have a problem with alcohol. I see that you broke your ankle while drinking, ouch! Have you experienced any other negative consequences which finally led you here? Believe me, any story you may have has already been told or lived by someone on SR.

I could never get 15 beers down in a session when I was drinking - it was just too much fluid and would take too much time to get drunk for me. I was a hard liquor guy and 15 shots in a night wasn't unheard of though.

I can relate to drinking affecting work attendance. It eventually bit me in the ass when I got myself fired. Tackle this now while you still have a job, benefits, etc. Good luck and keep it up!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Gabe, and congratulations on Day one. The first few days are the toughest, stick close to SR and read and post as much as you need to help you get through them.

Looking forward to seeing you on here!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind and encouraging words . I am laying down trying to relax at the moment with my 2nd day of sobriety done . I feel like a slight cold is coming on . Work tomorrow and then Im off until the 2nd .
Old 12-20-2012, 11:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome and glad you found this place...it is a family and someone is always around and understands. I wish you all the best.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Havinfaith View Post
Hello to all. My name is Gabe and I am 36 years old. I have joined this forum after browsing around a bit and I hope to use all that it offers to help me stop drinking. My drink of choice is a nice cold beer , or 15 . I consider myself a binge drinker as once I start I cannot stop until about 12-15 beers . I do this 1-2 times a week for the last 10 years or so.

I did stop drinking about 5 years ago for eight months when I broke my ankle on a long alcohol induced night and actually enjoyed it very much . Right now what is hurting me the most are the hangovers . My last drink was 2 nights ago when I was invited to a local establishments Christmas party with all you can drink free beer and food . They let us actually pour our own beer behind the bar and of coarse I didn't stop until I knocked over 22oz mug full of beer . Yup I was really drunk . I didn't make into work yesterday as I slept until noon and had a massive hangover all day. I am up right now at 4:20am feeling better but still do have body aches, particularly in my knees .

I am happy to have joined this site and look forward to reading many posts and enjoying a sober lifestyle . I really believe in myself and feel I can stop drinking period. I am going totally alcohol free as cutting down just doesn't work for me. Day 1 of sobriety is in the books .
Hi, Gabe! Thanks for your share.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in . So far everything is great . Not a drink for 3 days . 4th will be today ! I went out camping and 4wheelin Friday through Saturday evening and I did have a slight urge to have a beer with friends ,but I stayed strong and focused on cooking all the good food I brought out . I felt great Saturday morning waking up bright and early . Not so much for everyone else . Most were hungover for the day and were pounding the energy drinks .Im just glad I wasn't part of the hangover crew like I normally would have been . Sobriety Rocks !
Old 12-23-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Gabe, glad you're here!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Over the last few days I must say my appetite has grown . I'm trying to keep it healthy and lean . Feeling good ! About to watch some Xmas movies with family to keep my mind busy and not thinking about alcohol .