Notices

Well what else can happen..

Old 12-19-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well what else can happen..

I have some really good friends on SR. Thanks. Heres whats going on. Im detoxing, panic attacks, separating from my wife/kids (theyre grown though), moving to another state, and feel like absolute ****. OK-mr pitiful. i am not a pitiful person,opposite. sorry to drop this on you all. its not Christmas in my head for the first time i can ever remember.
dub
Old 12-19-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there, D. I know some of what you might be feeling - it's tough trying to detox/recover on its own, let alone with added anxiety, separation, Christmas and other holidays, and whatever else crops up. My ex left after 23 years of marriage, and the separation after that lasted 3 years before the divorce was final .. and I nearly drank myself to death a couple of times, and detoxed a couple of times, and got a dui - during that time. (Not that I didn't have a problem before separation, but it really escalated afterward.)

What I find helps me is to try not to concentrate on what's happening to me now, but to focus on constructing a plan for what I want to happen to me, and what I want to do, from here on.

For me, that has a lot to do with my health, weight, job, make new friends, new activities, decision to sell my house, and a bunch of other things I *can* control .. including how I choose to deal with family and holidays. I haven't done all of those things (yet), mind you, but they are on my to-do list -- it feels good to have that to-do plan .. to be in some sort of control of where I'm heading.

I admire your strength. Me, I'm female, 47, mom of two grown girls, job, house, car, etc. .... and I drank at least a fifth (sometimes -and-a-half) of vodka per day, round the clock ... and, for the most part, maintained a "normal life" (or so I thought) until it got really bad a couple of times - the first time, jaundice and liver failure in hospital which I passed off as something other than alcohol related to my family .. the second time drinking and not sleeping for almost 48 hours, and getting caught on the road (dui). There was no hiding the dui, so now everyone knows, and I'm glad because the support has been great. I'm also attending AA and talking to a counsellor.

Maybe that sounds horrible overall, but I am on a much better path now, but by no means have everything figured out! ... Reading stories like yours and everyone's here on SR really helps keep me focussed.

May the force be with you.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is a lot of stuff going on for you. I too admire your resolve to stay sober thru these tough transitions.

I'm also naturally (usually) an upbeat person. I've learned recently, however, that when my mood starts to get low, not to fight it, but rather to simply go with it. I think a lot of people really need to work at staying positive and not letting their mood sink too low. But sometimes it really is a cleansing experience to let the pity wash over you . . . have a good cry . . . and then pick yourself back up and get on with things, kwim?

You ARE going through A LOT. So give yourself a break.

Hang in there!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
LDT

First things first...how's the detox going? How was your night?

And secondly .....:ghug3 You need that!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didnt sleep again. Keeping my chin up. got a few important things to do before I take off. Just being here at home stresses me out. I just need to get moving. "Time to move on, time to get going, what lies ahead I have no way of knowing"- Tom Petty
dub