Notices

Hey y'all

Old 12-19-2012, 02:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey y'all

Hey everyone, this is my first post. Thankfully I've avoided substance addiction so far in my life, but I come to this forum because I can relate to just about every person whose story I've read. Substance abuse is just another way of coping with the same kind of nastiness I'm coping with. I've had anxiety and depression, with a potent existential, philosophical component for about the past decade. And frankly I've been on a slow downward spiral for about the past two years. I'm not necessarily looking for advice here. I'm posting mainly to see if anyone is interested in chatting or emailing with me. Nothing against public fora, I use them for lots of things. I just prefer 1-on-1 exchanges for this, partly because it's easier for those connections to be ongoing. Hope it's okay to post this request here.

Anyway, I could use the emotional support, and I'm sure some of you could too. Light or serious, whatever. We can talk about the weather or exchange jokes if you want. If anyone's interested, please reply or PM, or you can email me at shoelessly at ***** dot com.

Thanks, and be well.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome miharbi. I'm glad you found us.

I'm glad to hear you haven't started self-medicating ..... as you know it's quite common.

You'll probably find this section helpful. There's not a ton of activity there but we're all here to support each other. Many of us who are recovering are also dealing with depression or anxiety of some other mental issue. I was, so far, one of the lucky ones who's depression and anxiety lessened a ton after I got sober. Eventually I got to get off my meds. Yikes! So far, so good.

Do you have a doctor that helps you through your issues or take any meds that help?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miharbi View Post
Hey everyone, this is my first post. Thankfully I've avoided substance addiction so far in my life, but I come to this forum because I can relate to just about every person whose story I've read. Substance abuse is just another way of coping with the same kind of nastiness I'm coping with. I've had anxiety and depression, with a potent existential, philosophical component for about the past decade. And frankly I've been on a slow downward spiral for about the past two years. I'm not necessarily looking for advice here. I'm posting mainly to see if anyone is interested in chatting or emailing with me. Nothing against public fora, I use them for lots of things. I just prefer 1-on-1 exchanges for this, partly because it's easier for those connections to be ongoing. Hope it's okay to post this request here.

Anyway, I could use the emotional support, and I'm sure some of you could too. Light or serious, whatever. We can talk about the weather or exchange jokes if you want. If anyone's interested, please reply or PM, or you can email me at shoelessly at ***** dot com.

Thanks, and be well.
Hello:
My recovery began in a recovery home in 1989 and in my group of 25 there were 4 who never drank/drugged but their thinking was exactly like mine. After putting the drink down and the compulsion to drink being relieved, then I found myself just like those 4 who never drank. Now the process of recovery could begin and I could start to grow up.
The 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous addresses my drinking problem and all my "ISMs" of alcoholism.

My recovery is a spiritual program of action following the 12 Steps. My wife finds her spiritual answers in Yoga and reading spiritual books. I let her read to me daily in the morning... I'm too lazy to do it myself. God gave me what I need.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Hello:
My recovery began in a recovery home in 1989 and in my group of 25 there were 4 who never drank/drugged but their thinking was exactly like mine. After putting the drink down and the compulsion to drink being relieved, then I found myself just like those 4 who never drank. Now the process of recovery could begin and I could start to grow up.
The 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous addresses my drinking problem and all my "ISMs" of alcoholism.

My recovery is a spiritual program of action following the 12 Steps. My wife finds her spiritual answers in Yoga and reading spiritual books. I let her read to me daily in the morning... I'm too lazy to do it myself. God gave me what I need. :c033:

All the best.

Bob R
Thanks Bob. I saw WWBWD under your name. What would Bill Walton do? ah, the seven-foot savior. Good choice. haha. Only kidding. But yes, it's true about the similar psychological dynamics. I feel like I relate to addiction pretty well for a non-addict. (Mostly non-addict... in some sense, we're ALL junkies.) But I get what drives it. Glad to hear your recovery is going well...
Old 12-19-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
Welcome miharbi. I'm glad you found us.

I'm glad to hear you haven't started self-medicating ..... as you know it's quite common.

You'll probably find section helpful. There's not a ton of activity there but we're all here to support each other. Many of us who are recovering are also dealing with depression or anxiety of some other mental issue. I was, so far, one of the lucky ones who's depression and anxiety lessened a ton after I got sober. Eventually I got to get off my meds. Yikes! So far, so good.

Do you have a doctor that helps you through your issues or take any meds that help?
Thanks for your kind words. Haven't seen a doctor or taken any meds. I can't afford a therapist and I don't think meds are the answer in my particular case. My situation is not entirely crippling. I had a relatively severe 2-year bout of depression about 8 years ago, and that felt much more physical than what I'm dealing with now, if that makes sense. My brain is fundamentally in better shape these days. So it seems. Now the issues are more behavioral and emotional... rather than going down to the fiber of my being. I think mostly I need people to talk to. Hence my plea.

Best to you as well.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'm not suggesting you need meds, or course. I think you know that.

I'm here to listen. Lots of us are.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR miharbi - I know you'll find people to talk to here

D
Old 12-19-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!