Notices

Struggling, any advice?

Old 12-19-2012, 12:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling, any advice?

After 8 years of heavy binge drinking I finally got myself sober in November of 2011. I was the happiest I can ever remember being. In September of this year I relapsed and have binge drinking 1 - 2 times per week since. I have caused damage to myself and those around me. I am writing this on the back of a heavy night of drinking last night. I feel very low and I am tired of being in this place time and again.

I want to be sober again more than anything in the world. Today I have started keeping a recovery journal. I will write in it every day. It is my first time doing this and I am not sure how helpful it will be, but for now I'm willing to give anything a shot.

I would be grateful to hear any tips or practices that helped you get sober. Right now I need everything I can get. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sabai,

I believe commitment is the biggest asset. A couple of suggestions:

1) Remember back to when you were sober and how great you felt. Write your feelings in your diary so they are always there as a source of inspiration that you can go back to.

2) Think ahead to how great your life can be. Allow yourself to dream about how great you can be, how strong you can be, and what you can achieve.

I have recently made the commitment to give up drinking for myself and my partner. When I look back at all of the stupid things in my life, pretty much all of them can be attributed to alcohol. Without alcohol in my life anymore I don't have any of those fears standing in front of me.

Good luck and stay strong.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sabai

well joining here is a great start - I think support is very important

Are you interested in face to face support as well - AA or some non 12 step recovery group?

D
Old 12-19-2012, 12:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the response.

I am currently living in Thailand, and there aren't any 12 step programs of the sort here. My only option really is to reach out on this forum I believe.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

See if there's anything near you

Welcome to AA Thailand | AA Thailand

D
Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sr
There is a lot of support here for you so use SR as much as you need.
Read, read, read.
Try journaling & see if it's helpful, every little tool helps.
I am just about to start reading a book called "under the influence" by James Milam & Katherine Ketcham, could be helpful to you.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Sabai,

Welcome =) How do you like living in Thailand?
Like you, I was a binge drinker for 5 years. The three things that I found most helpful were)
1. Replace your booze stash with jugs of water. I found that I liked to always carry a drink with me even when I was home. Replacing the glass of booze with a jug of water was weird at first, but it really helped. Also, if you have a certain spot where you always kept your booze, put the jugs of water there =)
2. Exercise. Push ups, running, walking, whatever. It helps combat boredom, depression and a million other things. I never want to drink after a good workout because I know being dehydrated will make me feel horrific once it's time to work up a sweat.
3. I'm online a bit due to college, so I set this site as my homepage. Even if I go straight to another website, just seeing this page pop up on a daily basis helps =)