Notices

Day One

Old 12-18-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One

I'm new to this forum (obvisouly) and I just wanted to say hello to everyone. Today is the first day I've managed to stay sober in well over six months and I've got to admit it was a struggle. For as long as I can remember, I've woke up everyday saying that today was the day I was going to figure out soberity only to go bed drunk telling myself that tomorrow would be the day.

About four months ago a very painful event happened in my life which led me to the doors of AA. Although I have learned alot there, today is the first day I''ve actually found the strength to stay sober. My biggest problem (I think) is that my anxiety doesn't allow me to be open and honest at these meetings so I usually just sit there not saying a word. I've heard the word "sponsor" many times but at this point, I don't have the strength to ask anyone for help let alone share what I've been going through and whats been bothering me. In fact, the first time I tried I nearly broke down and the embarrassing incident has cause me to be even less willing to express myself. So I thought maybe an anonymous forum might help.

Anyways, thanks for letting me share!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good job on day one its a hard one. you can do it, just the feeling of waking up knowing you made it through another night helps for the day ahead of you.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HI! I am sorry to hear you had a very painful event in your life, I hope things are looking up for you. I am new to this forum too, and from the responses to my first post and the responses to posts of others, I think it will be a good place for you to come to for help. I wish you the best!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR HopingToday - and congrats in that day one.
You'll find a lot of support here.

Have you seen our Class of December thread (also in this forum)

it's for everybody quitting this month. You should check it out

D
Old 12-18-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How do I find the December thread & hello to everyone :-)
Old 12-18-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you Newday

the link is here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-8.html

D
Old 12-20-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just wanted to thank you guys for your words of encouragment and your kindness. I managed to stay sober again yesterday and today has been going well so far.

I've been focusing on reading the first two Chapters of the Big Book lately and they seem to be starting to make sense. When you actually read what is writen instead of what you want to hear, it sure helps.

Anyways, I've been reading some of the stories and posts on this site and notice there are many people who have little sobriety like myself. I wish the best for those people and also for the continued success of many of you guys that have longer periods of sobriety. I hope to know what that feels like one day but I gotta take it one day at a time.

I still haven't felt strong enough to share my feelings/problems with people face to face, but I hope that with continued sobreity and maybe even the help of this site, I will find that strength to be open and honest.

Thanks for letting me share!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Baby steps works for me to. You don't need to tell people face to face untill you are ready. I ended up telling my boss when I was ready. Great job staying sober! ;-)