Notices

Relapse statistics?

Old 12-18-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse statistics?

Does anyone know what percentage of people relapse and at what stage of sobriety?

i.e. 30% week 1, 25% week 2 etc.

It might be a good idea if anyone knows these figures to post them here to scientifically show that it does get easier with time.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

It's a good idea in theory but there are so many statistics from so many different organisations that it will just become one big cluster of numbers and lost hopes.

Natom.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Only one statistic matters: anyone who tries to get sober has a fighting chance. If you don't try--zero chance.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your Sober Friend

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Only one statistic matters: anyone who tries to get sober has a fighting chance. If you don't try--zero chance.
You shouldn't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game. Not even sure if this quote is applicable for this situation but oh well
Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I'm not sure statistics really matter - after all, every person is different. That said, I heard in treatment that people tend to relapse around milestones .... a week, 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, etc. It has something to do with how the body is readjusting to being without alcohol. Makes sense to me ... all of my relapses were right around those milestones. I don't know if it was psychological, physiological, or a combination of both ... but there seems to be some validity to that theory.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't pay attention to statistics, I have never fit any anyhow lol!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

whatever the statistics I plan on doing what I need to do to stay in the plus column
Old 12-18-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are very few that stop and stay stopped.

Sad but true.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm with doggonecarl -- probability of me being sober if I don't drink today: 1. Probability of me being sober if I do: 0.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The relapse statistics are but a reminder that many who attempt to get sober fail. Unfortunately, the harsh reality is not an inspiration to those who are new to recovery.

It is a lifetime of vigilance.

Approximately 38% of people who received help for alcohol addiction relapse within 3 years.

Approximately 57% of people who did not receive help for alcohol addiction relapse within 3 years.

Now fast forward 16 years, the no help remitted group ( those who stopped with no help) 60.5% of them relasped.)

The help group, after 16 years, those who remained sober for the first three years, 42.9% eventually relapsed.

Rates and predictors of relapse after natural and treated remission from alcohol use disorders
Old 12-18-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My statistic is... 100% relapse rate if you dont stay in contact/AA/addicts etc after you quit. Its 100% PD. Dont get caught up in the numbers, its a brain thing my friend.
Dub
Old 12-18-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I predict there's 100% chance that someone will challenge those statistics, Xune...

I understand the drive for quantifiable reassurance, for sure...

but, for me, raw statistics just can't take into account the intangible things like support and faith and commitment, or the fact that each of us has an individual journey to make.

I was absolutely 100% determined that I would get sober or die trying.

I did what I needed to do and I kept doing it...and I got and stayed sober.

D
Old 12-18-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

What is the definition of relapse?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
What is the definition of relapse?
The opposite of remission.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The only statistic i worry about is me. Can't control the others.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think this post poses a fair question and one that I would like to know more about - even if the results are not good.

Xune, may I ask how long you have been sober for? I see your posts all over this site and I have to say, you come across like you have been sober for 40+ years. You seem to have all of the answers, very direct and to the point. Which is great. May we all get clean like you have.

Problemdrinker, I will do some googling and come back with some results. I am a great googler
Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've found that the places that exaggerate the statistics against AA are programs that would like for you to pay $10,000 or so to be a part of theirs.

Zube
Old 12-18-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D104 View Post
I think this post poses a fair question and one that I would like to know more about - even if the results are not good.

Xune, may I ask how long you have been sober for? I see your posts all over this site and I have to say, you come across like you have been sober for 40+ years. You seem to have all of the answers, very direct and to the point. Which is great. May we all get clean like you have.

Problemdrinker, I will do some googling and come back with some results. I am a great googler
A mere five + months. The only thing I know for absolute certainty is I don't have all the answers.

I'm a regular everyday middle class drunk who was fortunate enough to have had a moment of clarity at the right time.

I'm committed to my sobriety and I think being sober is a nice place...so I share my slant on the subject.

I also have loads to learn from others!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I can only say this, as far as statistics. I'm an RA and know a LOT of other people who are either in recovery or are still using (the still using are kept at a distance).

I've never known ANYONE who has been approached as far as a statistical database. That's including when I was in AA and knew of people with 20+ years in recovery, to when I was on the streets, smoking crack, and knew people in/out of rehab.

The only statistic I pay attention to is this...as long as I work MY recovery, there's a really good chance I won't relapse again. Did it once, going on 6 years in recovery.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-18-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
The relapse statistics are but a reminder that many who attempt to get sober fail. Unfortunately, the harsh reality is not an inspiration to those who are new to recovery.

It is a lifetime of vigilance.

Approximately 38% of people who received help for alcohol addiction relapse within 3 years.

Approximately 57% of people who did not receive help for alcohol addiction relapse within 3 years.

Now fast forward 16 years, the no help remitted group ( those who stopped with no help) 60.5% of them relasped.)

The help group, after 16 years, those who remained sober for the first three years, 42.9% eventually relapsed.

Rates and predictors of relapse after natural and treated remission from alcohol use disorders
I think it's important to remember that the goal is sobriety but that we are all human. If a relapse happens, get back with the (chosen!) program. I don't think you measure recovery in years but in mental progress.

I celebrated sixty days on Saturday and it has certainly gotten easier as time goes on...