Notices

Buy me beer signs everywhere

Old 12-18-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Buy me beer signs everywhere

Today has been a very stressful day (meeting at college then having to deal w my daughters preschool teacher because she made her go outside in below 32 degree weather to re-line up with no jacket!) I was driving in town and all I kept noticing were Busch light (my drink of choice) signs everywhere 30 pack for $18.99 6 pack for $5.99! Thinking to self I have cash in my wallet that would really be good right now. I'm on day 4 and sticking with it but it's hard, that's for sure. Even harder with a tease like those signs. I still am nervous for holidays cause i know it will be around.
I have had a pounding headache for 2 days not sure if that's from not drinking. Wish me luck!
Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi I know what you mean, Im 10 days in now but at 6 day I could no longer avoid going to the store, at evey end isle was a diplay of holiday drinks. I did make it through without buying any but I wonder how festive my holiday wil be without my fancy drinks.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

u have to not want the beer if you keep looking at it and longing for it you will crack at some point. beer sucks life is better not bitter without it.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Karadawn View Post
Today has been a very stressful day (meeting at college then having to deal w my daughters preschool teacher because she made her go outside in below 32 degree weather to re-line up with no jacket!) I was driving in town and all I kept noticing were Busch light (my drink of choice) signs everywhere 30 pack for $18.99 6 pack for $5.99! Thinking to self I have cash in my wallet that would really be good right now. I'm on day 4 and sticking with it but it's hard, that's for sure. Even harder with a tease like those signs. I still am nervous for holidays cause i know it will be around.
I have had a pounding headache for 2 days not sure if that's from not drinking. Wish me luck!
Busch Light was my favorite too.

Maybe try to think of other things you could rather eat or drink.

Maybe next time you see the Busch Light sign, try to picture a black scull and crossbones across the sign.
But most of all..."keep coming back" to meetings.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinking never really helped my stress...if it works, it's just trading stress for oblivion really...and then the stress returns, along with the added stress and guilt of having drunk.

There's better ways to deal with stress - what else do you do to relax?

Ignore the signs - they're not for people like us KD

D
Old 12-18-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This probably isn't a recommended practice, but when I see those huge beer ads I try to imagine what it would taste like and how it would make me feel. It doesn't take me long to think how sick I would feel and how disappointed I would be in myself.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. I went for a nice long walk today in the pretty falling snow. I was feeling great . . . and then I walked passed my neighbor's house (I was nearly home) and there were two 24 packs of beer sitting on his front porch, nearly in reach of the sidewalk. I thought, "man it would be so easy to grab one and simply walk up my driveway completely unnoticed". Ugh . . . then I would be an alcoholic AND a thief!

Headaches can be a sign of dehydration. Are you drinking enough water? You need LOTS o' water to detox your system.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your prob right w headache milly all I drank today was a coke. Good job not grabbing those sidewalk sale beers!

Thanks for support friends!
Old 12-18-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering

I had the same problem - driving home from work was my worst time. One thing I found helped was to listen to AA talks in the car. That helped provide extra support. You can download them at XA-Speakers - The lights are on!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
This probably isn't a recommended practice, but when I see those huge beer ads I try to imagine what it would taste like and how it would make me feel. It doesn't take me long to think how sick I would feel and how disappointed I would be in myself.
Yeah, the part about visualizing the taste and sensation of beer...would be ill advised for the likes of me.

I do not drink, will not drink and that is just the way it shall forever be.

Makes the decision a lot easier. ' That hat beer looks good, but I don't drink beer'
Old 12-18-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
GWH

Man, this is really noticeable, isn't it? The whole drive home I'm seeing signs and billboards. Sigh.

I'm on day 11 right now, and this is the first really rough time for triggers.

I had a loooong day at work today, in a stressful field full of alcoholism already, and I have the day off tomorrow. I had 9 beers in my fridge, and tonight I was thinking about how great they would be. I thought about watching a cool movie and slamming em down. "One night won't kill ya" I said. I KNEW I would I would be depressed and angry at myself tomorrow, but nonetheless I was ready to give in. READY.

Well. My wife got rid of the beers earlier today while I was at work...PHEW!! That was CLOSE. I will be even happier tomorrow morning.

And hang in there. I noticed the urge subsiding once I let it pass over me (and realized the beers were gone). Now I just don't have to worry about it because I'm damn sure not going to buy any.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree GWH if it's around the house that is way too tempting for a weak moment good thing u have a wife to take care of you!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

On a positive note.

I have noticed alot of ads on the TV (In AUS) that depict the adults around the bbq and the dad gets his kid to 'go fetch Dad another beer' the boy runs inside to the fridge. It then shows the kid grown up requesting his kid to get him a beer, and so on... the generational cycle continues.

Has a line about alcohol intake and kids learning from their greatst role models. I can defnitely relate to these ads. I look over at my kids, I am heading in the right direction.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I look at the signs and adverts and think of the 'drug' alcohol really is.

The con it really is.

It helps me sometimes. (it makes me angry though too)