Notices

After 110 sober days finally sentenced to 40 days

Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After 110 sober days finally sentenced to 40 days

It seems like a lifetime ago and it has only been close to 4 months since I last drank. I finally had my sentencing on my second OWI. I was hoping for around 10-20 days but I got 40. I was really down for a couple of days. Just stressed about losing my job. I am better now. A little meditation and reflection and I am coming around. I have to live life on life's terms. Crap is still going to happen but now I can deal with it with a clean and sober mind. My drinking had consequences, which could have been much worse, time for me to face those consequences and keep moving forward.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds to me that you have made good use of the last 110 days to arrive at such a state of mind. Well done - sincerely.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

May the time pass quickly for you. You have already won your freedom from alcohol.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well u sound good fm, keep the chin up ur in a better frame of mind going in there than you would be drunk. When you come out it will be a brand new beginning. Keep the chin up.
In UK U if U get 40 days you would do half, then less if ur well behaved. In the us is this the same?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They do give you 1/4 of a day for every good day served so I am hoping at the most it will be 30 days. We have work release and the bracelet (GPS) here as well. Not really sure what will happen with me. I can do it but I just pray my family makes it through fine. My wife is strong and our relationship is so much better. It will be an experience I can share with newcomers and I am sure I will look back and remember how rough it was and how it is just another reason to stay sober.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

40 days for a life time of sobriety sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I know a bunch of people who have been to jail and they all have said the fear was much worse than the reality. They did not grant you a work release?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad that you're sober now and it sounds like you have a good attitude about the jail time.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am so glad you are sober today to face this. 40 days will go by quickly--30 even faster. Good for you for making a mistake work in your favor.

Hang in there!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Hi family man, glad you finally have it over and done with I remember your first post relating to all this you seem like a totally differant person. Good luck keep yourself to yourself and use the time to read all the books you never had time too it helps to,pass the time.

Take care....
Old 12-18-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sure this would have sent some folk over the edge but you sound at peace with it. Good luck family man.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Family Man--feel grateful you live in a state where they do give you time off for good behavior etc...I live in NJ...you do DAY FOR DAY! I was sober for about 150 days when I got sentenced to 90 days and had to do all 90...no if's ands or buts. I stressed, but I think because I was sober & working the program (AA--sponsor, steps..) I was better to handle it. Most jails have AA meetings once a week or so...find things to pass the time. I did kitchen work for a few weeks, got into the drug & alcohol program for a few months, then wrapped it up doing outside work detail the last few weeks. I won't lie, it's no party...especially the County Jail I was in....I prayed a lot and minded my own business. I hung to the mantra of "If God took me to it, God will get me through it". I got out safe & sound and have over 21 months sober now. This was for my 3rd DUI. I also lost my license for 10 years! That is tough to deal with...but I keep going forward...One Day at a Time. Good luck & stay strong my brother.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words. Maybe it will be a little introduction to incarceration because I would love to do a little service work in the prisons or jails.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry for the outcome FM but your attitude is great

D
Old 12-18-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am happy for you Bryan. Sounds like you made it through fine and have good solid sobriety. Not too much more you can ask for. I am sure things are a lot better for you right now. You seem to have great strength!!
Old 12-18-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
40 days for a life time of sobriety sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I know a bunch of people who have been to jail and they all have said the fear was much worse than the reality. They did not grant you a work release?
This certainly was not my experience. I only did a couple of weeks in county, but let me tell you, it was NOT an easy ride.

TS, hopefully this will be the wake up call you need. Having to fight for your meals, jail politics, and living inside of a cage for a while isn't going to be fun. But if you can stay sober in that place, you can stay sober anywhere.

Good luck, and try your hardest to stay safe. And always remember: You did this to yourself, and think about this experience next time you think about drinking.

That may sound a little harsh, but it's the truth.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

FamilyMan - you are so, so lucky!

Can you imagine what your life would be like if you'd killed someone driving drunk?

A bit of time is nothing, absolutely nothing in comparison.

You'll hate being locked up - I'm not saying it will be fun - but you'll find that your comrades aren't as bad as they're made out to be.

Forget about teaching them anything, just relax and keep your eyes and ears open, and remember that many of the finest people on earth have done a little time (Ghandi, to name one).

You'll come out of this stronger, brother.