Real love

Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Real love

Today's thought from Hazelden is:

Love one another, but make not a bond of love.
--Kahlil Gibran

Love doesn't demand; love compromises. It doesn't possess; it frees. Love doesn't gloat; it praises. Love makes friends of strangers. It softens our rough edges and strengthens our assets. Knowing we're loved inspires us and invites forth our best effort. Offering our love humbles us and cultivates an inner joy.

Never, in the name of love, should we direct another person's life, but instead let's celebrate the choices made by someone dear, even when they run counter to our own desires. We are each blessed with a destiny, unique and necessary to the others in our lives. We must be allowed to travel our paths to fulfillment.

Let's free one another and know real love.

I was inspired by this writing today and wanted to share it with my SR recovery family. (this is from a daily meditation delivered to my email from Hazelden)
Old 12-18-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for this today, Pelican. Exactly what I needed to hear in regards to one of my teenagers and a choice she made recently that "runs counter to my desires". But - big sigh - it is her life to live, and her mistakes to make. And I will love her anyway, and buy her ice cream and chocolate when this backfires and her heart gets broken.
~T
Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yup - much needed today! Thank you!