Notices

Another day, another post!

Old 12-18-2012, 02:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another day, another post!

Today I’m sat doing assignments, slugging back coffee with a cat on my knee. It’s nice! Before sobriety I viewed all activities as things which must be done quickly in order to get down to the business of getting absolutely smashed; either that or they just didn’t get done. Being permanently hung-over didn’t inspire optimism either, I imagine, but mainly I didn’t invest time wholeheartedly in anything besides drink.
Now I enjoy almost everything. I not only have the time to enjoy things, but I also now have the focus and energy to get thoroughly involved in whatever it is I’m doing. I’m even able to enjoy my semi-panic regarding my exams in January … it’s all very new!
Anyway my question is; what have you guys noticed about your overall attitude? Have you discovered joy in something unexpectedly? Have you taken to doing something new, or indeed revisited an old interest which was overshadowed by drink? Thanks for reading!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I re-discoverd my love of reading ( gutenburg online free library and also ordering from online bookstore) .
i've never downloaded so much music or watched so many films (all cheaper than the drink ).

I actually get my guitars of their hangers and play them these days, i havn't quite got the tough finger pads i used to have but i'm enjoying what i do .

I'm a lot happier in general and i find laughter and delight come quite easily .

Bestwishes, M
Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

On Joy...

"Joy at our release from a lifetime of frustration knew no bounds" (63:3 - 64:0, line 0).

"If newcomers could see no joy or fun in our existence, they wouldn't want it. We absolutely insist on enjoying life (132:1, line 2 - 3)"

For me, it was re-learning to appreciate the gift each moment brings - and the ease that comes with everybody and everything when you are no longer afraid of being hurt of not liked.

The manifestations of this daily reprieve are abundant, but not in the things that I valued as before my recovery. Money, things, power, prestige - these have replaced by a new state of wonder.

I am more productive (as a musician, friend, husband, father) because I value each small moment that passes - if and only if I have done the work to maintain the spiritual fitness I have learned is required in recovery.

Most simply - before I valued my 61' Strat because of the prestige it brought and it's escalating value if sold. Now I value only it's ability to make that perfect snotty Strat sound in the songs I play with friends.