Notices

Ready for my meeting

Old 12-17-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Ready for my meeting

I am so excited to go to my meeting tonight. Before my revelation I hated going. It was a requirement that I attend at least one. But I went to 2 last week. Im excited and giddy=) It fills me with hope and I really like the people there. One thing that is weird, my ex goes to the same meeting and at first it was just weird but last Thursday his new girlfriend and him invited me to another meeting they go to. It was nice to set aside the differences and history and talk about addiction and recovery. Thats what its all about. Ive put my past behind me and I love my new life. I am absolutely so happy today. One day at a time used to mean nothing to me but now it couldnt be more true. Sorry if my words are all jumbled but Im just soooo excited and happy=) I hope youre all doing well and know that Im here for each and every one of you. :ghug3
Old 12-17-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad things are going well for you x
Old 12-17-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Talking High on life

Had an awesome meeting. Came home feeling a high that Ive never felt before. Ive had plenty of highs but nothing like this. Theres a strength in me now and motivation that I never knew I had. Ive always been a strong willed person but due to addiction I became such a weak person. I thank God Ive made it this far. Only been a few weeks since my last relapse but due to my acceptance of the program I have felt that strength coming back to me. Maybe it was always there buried underneath the drugs. I dont know. I do know I love this new feeling. In all of the times Ive gotten clean, I have not once been this sure about my sobriety. I will no longer "reward" myself by getting high because Ive been clean for a few months. My sobriety will now be my reward. The joy I see in my mothers eyes, my grandmothers eyes, and everyone else whom has stuck by me thru everything, shall be my reward. Ohh this feeling I have is amazing.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Truly inspirational
Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is so great to see someone so excited and happy. Good for you free2luv26 and thanks it makes me feel good to read such a positive post!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by free2luv26 View Post
Had an awesome meeting. Came home feeling a high that Ive never felt before. Ive had plenty of highs but nothing like this. Theres a strength in me now and motivation that I never knew I had. Ive always been a strong willed person but due to addiction I became such a weak person. I thank God Ive made it this far. Only been a few weeks since my last relapse but due to my acceptance of the program I have felt that strength coming back to me. Maybe it was always there buried underneath the drugs. I dont know. I do know I love this new feeling. In all of the times Ive gotten clean, I have not once been this sure about my sobriety. I will no longer "reward" myself by getting high because Ive been clean for a few months. My sobriety will now be my reward. The joy I see in my mothers eyes, my grandmothers eyes, and everyone else whom has stuck by me thru everything, shall be my reward. Ohh this feeling I have is amazing.
free2luv26, I'm glad things are going well for you.
There is a common phenomenon in early recovery called "pink cloud". Please tell your sponsor and the oldtimers about how you feel and listen to them closely.

(I had an oldtimer tell me a while ago that he fell off a 22' ladder. I said "I hope you didn't get hurt" and he replied "I'm fine ... I was only on the first rung")

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-17-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Keep it up, Freetoluv. It sounds like you are on the right track
Old 12-17-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

that pink cloud can last if you work those steps
Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all. It feels great to me that I can give inspiration to fellow addicts/alcoholics. I didnt think I would be at that point for a while tho so it makes me feel really good. Ive never heard of the "pink cloud" before. Alot of this is so new to me because all of the times Ive gotten clean I never worked the program. I simply stopped using, which is great, but I never took further steps to keep myself clean. The longest Ive ever been clean was for almost 3 years. And I stepped right back into it without a second thought. I always felt good about myself but never as good as I feel now. This last relapse hit me really hard and made me realize that if I dont do everything I can, Ill go right back to it if the chance arises. That is what I do not want. I want this feeling for life. Thinking about the feeling I had last night is bringing that feeling back. So, no matter what, I am sticking with this program. To you all struggling, it does get easier. Keep busy, keep it out of your head.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
free2luv26, I'm glad things are going well for you.
There is a common phenomenon in early recovery called "pink cloud". Please tell your sponsor and the oldtimers about how you feel and listen to them closely.

(I had an oldtimer tell me a while ago that he fell off a 22' ladder. I said "I hope you didn't get hurt" and he replied "I'm fine ... I was only on the first rung")

All the best.

Bob R
How do I get a sponsor? Is there a time period a person has to wait before getting a sponsor?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You get a sponsor by asking either durring a meeting or in person. You will get a lot of differant opinions but what worked for me was in the beginning I got a temporary sponsor who was more or less assigned to me. That relationship worked well for the first year. I then reached out to another man who I had come to know and deeply respected and he continues to be my sponsor.

My criteria for a sponsor is. They have been sober for a while 5+ years, they have worked the steps and continue to work the steps, they go to a lot of meetings, they are happy with life in general and compfortable in their own skin.

At the beginning I would talk about what you can expect of each other. Set some ground rules. Many sponsor sponsee relationships fail because of unrealistic expectations on both sides.

There is no time period but sooner is better than later.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
You get a sponsor by asking either durring a meeting or in person. You will get a lot of differant opinions but what worked for me was in the beginning I got a temporary sponsor who was more or less assigned to me. That relationship worked well for the first year. I then reached out to another man who I had come to know and deeply respected and he continues to be my sponsor.

My criteria for a sponsor is. They have been sober for a while 5+ years, they have worked the steps and continue to work the steps, they go to a lot of meetings, they are happy with life in general and compfortable in their own skin.

At the beginning I would talk about what you can expect of each other. Set some ground rules. Many sponsor sponsee relationships fail because of unrealistic expectations on both sides.

There is no time period but sooner is better than later.

Thank you for the advice. I look up to the older men at my meeting. I only go to one location bc its close and the only one in town and theyre all encouraging me. I just worry that Ill get a sponsor and then mess up. Like, Im so set on doing well and working the program...even excited about it, but there's still a part of me thats just waiting for that awful second when I fail. Just have to keep faith in myself. Anyway thanks again for the advice and encouragement. It means a lot

Also, is it ok with u if I use that quote that u put at the end of your comment?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by free2luv26 View Post
Thank you for the advice. I look up to the older men at my meeting. I only go to one location bc its close and the only one in town and theyre all encouraging me. I just worry that Ill get a sponsor and then mess up. Like, Im so set on doing well and working the program...even excited about it, but there's still a part of me thats just waiting for that awful second when I fail. Just have to keep faith in myself. Anyway thanks again for the advice and encouragement. It means a lot

Also, is it ok with u if I use that quote that u put at the end of your comment?
Absoluteley, it is a Rascal Flats song called movin on. All of the words are great. Look it up sometime