Notices

Day 27 and I feel like I'm slipping

Old 12-17-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 27 and I feel like I'm slipping

I am 27 days into my first real attempt at sobriety. I attend a recovery meeting, and I'm trying to put the tools I've learned to use. The trouble is, that the craving that I am having today, is one of the worst I've had since detoxing. My entire body is screaming for just one beer. I know that I cannot control my intake, so I have to abstain. Yet, I'm fighting with some very powerful thoughts that are trying to convince me otherwise. I've called my friend, tried to relax and use visualization, but this craving is not going anywhere, it seems to be getting stronger. Anyone have techniques or thoughts that help them through times like this? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

journal thoughts and feelings

I often had a craving when I didn't want to feel something
Old 12-17-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

AVRT deals specifically with the concept of separating from the urge to drink, find it by googling rational recovery. Urge Surfing is the name of the meditative mindfulness technique that allows you to accept without reaction the cravings, and there are lots of references to this on the web.

Hang in! Remember, the most important thing to realize is that you can rise above the urge to drink, and that the urge is only as powerful as we allow it to be. The power to remain sober is yours.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

oh man, this is going to sound silly but do I ever envy you right now.

I would give anything to have 27 days under my belt in hopes that these withdrawls would have mostly subsided. Do you really want to go through all that crap again?
Whats worse, a craving or a withdrawl symptom? I don`t really know but I would change my withdrawls for cravings right now......LOL but thats just me. I`m only 8 days of no less than a 13 year nightly drinking habit.....27 days will be a dream come true for me
Old 12-17-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

All these experiences go away with time. I came to realise just how much my emotional system had been hijacked by alcohol.

I think AVRT gives a good viewpoint on how these things can be viewed.

If you have not done so I suggest going to the Rational Recovery website and doing the short course in AVRT.

Hang in there - it is great to be able to live a sober life
Old 12-17-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

What about H.A.L.T? Are you hungry, angry, lonely, or tired? Any of these can make us prey to cravings.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Going to an AA meeting is what I do. Works everytime
Old 12-17-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I was at a wedding a few weeks ago (and I had planned to NOT drink), I for a moment was overcome with desire for a drink. It freaked me out for a moment, but then I realized that it would be ok if I didn't drink. That it was just a couple of more hours of not drinking just like I had been doing. And that it would be ok.

It, and you will be ok if you dont drink.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Lotus, Day 27 and I feel like I'm slipping? You are FANTASTIC. Hang in there buddy, i'm 2 years, 6 months, 7 days now, and all is good, but at 27 days I felt the same as you do. You can do it. Merry Christmas.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you doing now Lotus?

D
Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lotus hope you got thorugh the craving. Take it one moment at a time
Old 12-17-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Lotus, all I can say hun is play that tape through!

Tomorrow will be better. Drinking is NOT an option, k?

Hope this finds you in time.

:ghug3
Old 12-17-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lotus027 View Post
I am 27 days into my first real attempt at sobriety. I attend a recovery meeting, and I'm trying to put the tools I've learned to use. The trouble is, that the craving that I am having today, is one of the worst I've had since detoxing. My entire body is screaming for just one beer. I know that I cannot control my intake, so I have to abstain. Yet, I'm fighting with some very powerful thoughts that are trying to convince me otherwise. I've called my friend, tried to relax and use visualization, but this craving is not going anywhere, it seems to be getting stronger. Anyone have techniques or thoughts that help them through times like this? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
I psyche myself up everyday thinking about the really bad drunken experiences.
Its amazing ho quickly we can forget those. Good luck and keep on trying.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Lotus,

How are you doing? I hope you found something positive for you to do to avoid that first drink. I am a little over two months and I keep reminding myself how good I feel when I wake up in the morning.

My mornings will always be hectic trying to get three kiddos off to school and me off to work, but it is a lot easier to do without a foggy head!

Post and let us know how you are doing.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lotus I'm on day three, day 27 is something I'm striving for, deep breathes! I hate those urges and cravings and the evil little voice saying one or two won't hurt you can handle it...wrong, I can't. Just think I'm better than this and it will pass. I'm just trying to keep busy doing things I like (cooking, face book, watching ink master right now..etc) good luck!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your suggestions and support. After flirting with disaster in the liquor aisle at Target, I went home with just my Christmas presents. I realized that I hadn't eaten all day, was exhausted, and to be honest feeling pretty lonely. I told myself that I would go home and take a nap, and then if I still felt the urge I would deal with it then. After a long nap, I'm feeling better. That voice is a lot more quiet and manageable now. I will be checking out AVRT. I've never heard of it before. Thanks again.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That is awesome news and very inspiring! Thank you for sharing!