Notices

Day 1

Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

I'm hoping to get sober today is my first day I have tried many times to stop but to no avail I'm hoping with a little support and a lot of willpower I can finally do it.
Any helpful hints please
Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

glad found us!

work on staying stopped today.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi I'm new here also. I've also tried many times. This cite seems like a great place to start good luck.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome Hubbard. I'm glad you found us.

Personally, I didn't have enough willpower to do it alone. It's great that you found this site for support. You'll find a ton of it here. I found face-to-face meetings important. Is that something you're willing to look into?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
I'm hoping to get sober today is my first day I have tried many times to stop but to no avail I'm hoping with a little support and a lot of willpower I can finally do it.
Any helpful hints please
For me, staying in bed for 2 days and trying to sleep as much as possible. Kept as much water and Gatorade by my bed and drank as much as I copied between naps. And try to eat what you can. Even if its a cracker or a spoonful of soup at a time.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's all about the willpower for me. If you have it for one day then you have it for the next! One day at a time. Just imagine what it would feel like to feel like yourself again!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hubbard, I'd like to congratulate you on your decision to stop consuming alcohol...now I am feeling compelled to tell you;

Will power rarely works in the long term in keeping an active addiction in remission.

Seeing as you've admitted that you've tried to quit before and failed, you are probably aware as to the limitations that will power brings to the table.

The vicious circle that risks starting, I'm not going to drink again, my will power is strong, will power fails, you drink, I'm not going to drink again, my will power will be stronger this time, will power fails, you drink, I'm not going to drink again, my will power will be even stronger this time, rinse, repeat forever...

If you've tried before and failed, ask yourself what is going to be different this time, which will ensure your complete success?

Most people find success with long term sobriety when they receive assistance from others. Thankfully, this website is chalk full of information with regards to the different ways you can get help.

Welcome and best of luck.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I too found that will power was never quite enough. Which baffled me because I have incredible will power in other areas of my life, but I could never stay away from booze for long. I found later that many alcoholics have very strong will power in other areas as I did.

It wasnt until I reached out for help that I found sobriety. Little bit of treatment and a lot of AA has done the trick for me.

Best wishes to You!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Hubbard

You'll find a lot of support here - and ideas on where to go for real life support as well, if you're interested

D