Notices

Day 8 today

Old 12-17-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 today

Well it was 8 days ago today that I made my first post, like many others wanting to quit drinking.
Well I have done that to date and although I am thankful for the time lapsed and the lack of any alcohol in my system I do feel more anxious and "out of it" than expected.
Before I go any further let me be clear up front as I was in my original post crying for help.
Drank every night alone for years, never any less than 4 beers before bed and most times a few shots of straight rye or whatever spirit was in the house so on average 8 drinks a night closer to the end.......most years I was 3 or 4 beer and that was it but this has gone on for many many years.
No illegal substance usage.
Now, for the past 6 to 8 months I began taking a very small dose of Xanax which I had got from my mother to get me over a couple of very stressful times where I could not sleep.
So, although my dosage of Xanax was not daily in the beginning, it has been this past no less than 5 months and was taken at night along while I had my drinks. the total dose from morning til bedtime was .75mg to a max of 1mg.
Sometimes I would have .25 in the morn, .25 after work and then .25 or .50 at night with the booze.
So as we all know its a low dosage but a dosage of very addictive crap all the same.

Fast forward to now.
Last Monday I went to the doctor, came clean with her about how I obtained the Xanax outside of her office (my 80 year old mom) and also how I had my last drink the night before and how I want to quit drinking and the Xanax both.
She was great, she listened and really made me feel like this was going too be okay but she did ask me to finish off the lasyt few pills of the Xanax and then switch over to the klonopin for a wean process.
Thats all well and good but all the reasearch I do on Klonopin just drives my anxiety up through the roof with the horror stories of the detox from that and that Valium is the better choice for withdrawl. Okay I thought that with such a low dose of Xanax for under a years usage that I could probably just pack it in with no real withdrawl, I mean my sister took .50 faithfully for a year and a half at bedtime to sleep and one day just stopped........she felt zero after effects so she claims. none in any way so I`m sure its possible as she is testiment to it.

Here is my issue where I hope someone could shed light: Are these feelings of nervouseness, insomnia (without the .50 of Xanax), lousy appetite, anxiousness, worrying about my business and how to deal with customers without talking so fast I sometimes fumble the words a bit, guilt (this is heavy) super jumpy, very critical of everything and basically as the day goes on a foggy feeling with zero desire to do the things I ned to be doing like stop reading all the negative aspects of booze and Xanax has one ones body?
I was really hoping that these are all common to alcohol withdrawl as opposed to withdrawl from the small amount of Xanax.
If I knew that these were common symptoms of alcohol then I would simply deal with them knowing they are going to subside a little each day....

I will add that I have made a doctors appointment again today and I will discuss perhaps switching over to Valium as suggested by Ashton and or just weaning off the Xanax as opposed to switching from one to another just to wean off another.................its my symtoms that are killing me........but I have no desire or influence to drink alcohol at this point.......I just want to get off this booze and Xanax train.......its pure BS........thanks for listening people, you guys and gals have made these past 8 days possible.

Are these symtoms typical of alcohol withdrawl and is it normal for them to gain strength later in the day?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would also like to add that along with the loss of appetite I am actually gagging a little trying to eat my two bananas and my glass of water this morning.....hands are shaky, not whole body but i can feel my muscles arent super steady, head feels a little heavy for my neck at times.....LOL........lots of fun stuff
Old 12-17-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Yep, all those feelings are normal with alcohol withdrawl. When I quit drinking, I was also abusing klonopin. I wasn't taking a huge dose throughout the day but I was not taking them as prescribed. I think most of my withdrawl stuff was from the alcohol but .... the emotions you're feeling, in my opinion, those are normal for anyone using any substance to not feel. It does get better, I can promise you that.

I think seeing your doctor again and telling her of your concerns is a great idea. I've heard some horror stories too about coming off of both xanax and klonipin but you have to remember, we are all different. The only thing you can do is listen to and trust your doctor. Please don't take medical advice from the internet.

Congrats on your sober time!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks for replying PBs, like I said if this will pass then bring it on but if the friggin lack of that small dose of Xanax is going to drag it out to a second stint of detox then wholy jeesus that won`t be good.

I have always told people about reading off the internet with respect to meds but found myself looking and almost living it for this past week and most of it negative.
I guess I am also trying to find it where my dosage and my alcohol consumption was lower than everyone elses so I was looking for a easy out.........LOL
Having said that I have an appt with the dr tomorrow afternoon where I will discuss my concerns.

Thanks paperdolls, just hearing these are all common to alcohol does set my mind at ease knowing the symtoms