Notices

Always stupid.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Always stupid.

I always find a way to delay my sobriety date to "tomorrow". It always seems like a better day. I am not sober, but tell myself every morning that today is the day. By about 2PM I have decided that tomorrow will definitely be a better day for that. I am currently drinking 8-10 shooters of 40 percent liquor per day. I have also convinced myself that if I were to stop, There would obviously be the inevitable DT's. I realize that this is incredibly rare and I have been drinking like this for only 4 months and this is highly unlikely. I feel that I have made this my excuse for my repeated stupidity. I know this is a common thread and something that has been beat to death, but it is nice to express my current disgust with myself with those who have been there and understand. Thank you SR.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome hodge,
Noticed this is your first post.......glad you found us . Not sure about DT's, but I do know being disgusted with yourself will only make you feel worse. anyway, just wanted to welcome you!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hodgedogg
You'll find a lot of support here - finestkind anywhere

If you're worried about withdrawal it makes sense to see a Dr - be safe and set your mind at ease

D
Old 12-16-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been here before, but I don't recall what my username was. I really like the site and appreciate your welcome. This is what is great about SR.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks DEE, I am not really concerned about withdrawal, but I use that as an excuse to keep going. It's a vicious cycle. : )
Old 12-16-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Basically, I wake up every morning and feel bad about myself. I am happily married with three young girls, and I feel like I am letting them down. For some reason, I forget what this feels like in the early afternoon and do the same thing and expect a different result. "definition of insanity"
Old 12-16-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome back hodge. Keep reading and posting. It will help and maybe help you decide to quit for good. I'm a newbie here (Day 6). The folks here have been great. Best wishes to you!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Hogedogg. I to felt the same way every morning. And every day I'd somehow find my way to the bottle. I thankfully seen it one day abit different. How, why, I'm not sure to be honest. But I called on a friend that I had not talked to since he went through the "cure "lol. Anyway I spoke to him for hours an he basically assured me I could do away with those crappy feelings I had about myself and life in general. But there was a catch. Yep I had to quite drinking. Turns out he was correct. It took awhile but combined with a lot of conversations with a lot of people I'm 9 months sober and well on my way to patching my relationship with my own three kids and working on the marriage aswell. Keep posting hear and if you have any contacts old friends or acquaintances that have found sobriety I promise you that if you call on them they will help you. Good luck I wish you well.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey hodgedogg,

Welcome to the forums. I went through the whole remorse and guilt thing whilst carrying on with my addiction. No-one here can say what withdrawal symptoms, if any, you would experience as they vary so widely. As Dee have said if you are concerned about them then you are best off seeing a Dr as they will be able to give advice or maybe if you show them you are committed a medical detox plan.

The disgust you feel now will only be replaced with a sense of pride if you decide to get sober and embark on a journey of recovery. I can tell you that whilst it is not all rainbows and light (especially in the beginning) it does get better if you put the work in and life ends up becoming something truly beautiful.

Natom.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

" I am currently drinking 8-10 shooters of 40 percent liquor per day."

Please see a doctor, stopping abruptly with this amount daily can be lethal.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hodgedogg View Post
Basically, I wake up every morning and feel bad about myself. I am happily married with three young girls, and I feel like I am letting them down. For some reason, I forget what this feels like in the early afternoon and do the same thing and expect a different result. "definition of insanity"
By drinking alcohol abusively, you are letting your kids down.

I did the same thing to my kids and so did every other alcohol addicted parent ever.

Why continue letting your kids down, when you can choose to get well?

You're happily married? I would have said the exact same thing when I was on the sauce. Fascinating, two weeks into recovery, my sober eyes showed me that my marriage was on the absolute brink of failure! ( True F'ing story!)

I'm sober now and will never drink another drop of alcohol so long as I shall live.

Welcome and I wish you well.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel. That little voice telling me to quit tomorrow is the same one that tells me just one drink won't hurt.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Hodge. As they say "There's no time like the present"
Old 12-16-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Most of us have probably seen the sign in a bar that reads:

"Free Beer - Tomorrow Only"

Get it? Tomorrow never comes!

Similarly, the only time to quit is "NOW". As AVRT teaches, no matter when you do it, it will be now. Choose this now because anyone one of them that comes later is going to feel just like this one.

By the way, I do not agree with the title of your thread. I've been here for quite a while over my 3 attempts at sobriety and I have yet to meet a stupid person. I'm sure you are not the exception. Sick? Struggling? Trying to find your way? These are more likely. Don't be so hard on yourself : )
Old 12-16-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you. Your handle reminds me of Dinsdale, the overgrown hedgehog in a Monty Python sketch. No disrespect to you, but Dinsdale kept coming back and haunted the central character. I hope you keep coming back. We're here for you.

As far as the starting and stopping thing, I can assure you that you're not alone.

As I've said before: been there, done that, but didn't get the T-shirt or a bumper sticker.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Hodge. When I first joined SR I wasn't quite ready to quit, but knew I needed to. It took me a while, but the hope and encouragement I found here made me want to try for a sober life. Maybe you'll be ready soon to get free from that stuff. We are glad you're here.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back!! I was good at thinking about stopping for a long time. I finally had enough in October, I have just over two months sober, and even though there have been a few tough days waking up sober is worth it.

The people on SR are amazingly supportive, and I feel so grateful for all of them. You can do this, and you will find lots of support on here!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
The people on SR are amazingly supportive, and I feel so grateful for all of them. You can do this, and you will find lots of support on here!!!
Yes. Thanks to one and all, especially the moderators. You are the most supportive people one can envision. It's a head scratcher how such a thing can exist, but amazingly somehow it does?!?